2/14 Phil and Friends

ripplinrain

• Forum MVP

Not to mention a bevy of shows announced at the new San Rafael venue, Terrapin Crossroads.

http://terrapincrossroads.net/events/

Wow, Phil gets to play with a new line up every night and involve his kids whiloe at it. So much for getting comfortable with a set group of musicians. I guess to cut back on the feeding frenzy for tickets they have decided that $150 is a good GA price ($300 for "VIP"). They have to be kidding, but apperently not...

hey this may be the only free thing you get from crossroads.....

I think its very exciting that Bobby and Phil are getting their local venues going but I find it absolutely absurd that Phil is charging $150 a pop to see his shows. I figured it would be about 65-75 when I saw the thing announced and I'd be willing to pay that for a night or two. I know its a small room and will be wonderful and intimate and all but he's shutting out the majority of deadheads. I have a great job and make good money and I'm sorry, there has to be a line drawn. Its not like this is just one or two shows. There are very few, very few folks I would pay $150 to see- one time in my life. I've seen Phil already so he's not one of those people.

I'm interested to see what Bobby puts his shows on for.... I have a feeling it will be much less as his shows have always been reasonable, IMO. Even back on the pre-furthur days, I think his tix for Ratdog were about 30-35 and Phil's were about 55-65

And its funny I look back as some of the shows I've been to in the last few years... Roger Waters, CSNY, Tom Petty, Elton John/Billy Joel, Stones and they were ALL under $100. In fact CSNY, Roger Waters, and Tom Petty were all under $40.

I'm stoked for the folks that go, but I will say I'm not going to be one of them unless the tickets drop.

I did the math too- I think the room holds about 400 people, so 400X150= 60,000/night not including bar revenue. 12 shows X 60K= 720K. 3/4 million for 12 shows. (and that doesn't count the folks who are paying $300)

a $150 miracle? Well, maybe in San Fran, but doubtful anywhere else in the US...

Marin County is quite different than san francisco .... I don't think I'd bother with driving up there to stick my finger in the air.

wine and cheese crowd.

you know, the more I think about this, the more pissed off I become..... and I'm sure this is going to get to a few folks too (probably some of my best friends, but I know y'all will forgive me)

I think that charging $150 a ticket is a kick in the teeth to deadheads....this is not what Jerry was about. This was the message that they put up tonight on facebook after probably reading enough angry posts:

As you've likely seen on the Terrapin Crossroads web site, we've announced a big batch of Phil and Friends shows at the end of March. What you also may have noticed is that the ticket prices are quite high. The reality of bringing a major rock show to an intimate venue is that tickets will cost a few bucks more than usual. It costs a lot to put on a big show in a small space! Rest assured, though, that as we get rolling on Terrapin Crossroads, there will be shows and ticket prices for all budgets. There will be plenty of shows featuring Phil and loads of other hugely talented local musicians, and ticket prices will be set accordingly. We don't want to exclude anyone from what we're building here, and with a little patience and understanding, we expect you'll be pleased with where this journey takes us.

I'm sorry- a "few bucks" more than normal? So charge 70-80 bucks. I'm sure Phil was supportive of the occupy/99% movement, so why the f*ck are the tickets priced for the 1%?

Yes, of course we can all understand that they have to raise prices to pay musicians in a smaller venue, but at the same time, the overhead is probably pretty damn low considering 1) its Phil's venue so he doesn't have to worry about paying promotors, etc 2) its a small venue so paying for security and staff is probably pretty low 3) they don't need to pay for buses, crazy crew, gas etc to get from show to show. So, I'm sorry I'm just not really sold on the whole "it costs more" argument. Additionally, this isn't even solid lineup! I think there are musicians here that haven't even played together yet, so there is potential for it to be clumsy.

So who do you want at your shows Phil? do you want the older wealthy folks who can afford to get in who have seen you for years and years or do you want the kids there? The generation that will keep this thing truckin?

Your logo says "buckle up kids" Well yea, I'm buckling up and heading to ashkenaz tomorrow night to see Stu Allen play for 10 bucks and it will be a great time.

I really hope enough people stomp their feet about this. Its truly a dissappointment that something so close will be so inaccessible to most folks here.

oh and I was checking out the philzone to see what people are saying, and i know this is heartless and insensitive, but it made me giggle

everyone chill the fuck out, there will be day of the show tickets available for a small organ donation at the door

• Forum MVP

I agree with all that---it's impossible to imagine what exactly justifies these prices in this situation other than some sort of dose of greed in the mix.

I still cringe at paying around 70 bucks to go see furthur---it just feels overboard and corporate to me. Big name ticket prices have increased in value over the years MUCH more than the rate of inflation or anything else which is so frustrating.

Another reason to appreciate what we've got with a seat on the DSO train....I look forward to catching 4 shows on upcoming NW run and under a hundred bucks for the whole run does the trick for quality I know I can count on to get me to the promised land...

• Forum MVP

Somebody responded to frustration about Furthur ticket prices being so high with: Bobby has kids in college - he's got bills to pay. Let's make an importnant distinction > There is a difference between having kids 'in' college and having kids 'buy' the college. Just so we're clear.

Not meaning to spew too much vitriol here but: 150 for TC tix?!? Buckle up is right kids. Swallow hard becuase 150 is a month of groceries. I guess the Napa crowd will have pass on that 89 Opus One for dinner so they can see Phil + some other guys play. Oh wait...I bet the wine list at TC will be top shelf. They'll have the Opus One AND see a show - They might clap or even stand up and wiggle. SWEET. It is what it is I guess. And what it really is > is a shame.

Thanks goodness that

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Did anyone actually watch the broadcast? I couldn't make it work.

And I will not pay 150$, or 100$ for that matter. It is insulting....Phil's ego and greed are out of control. And personally, I don't even enjoy his side projects very much. But really the saddest part to me is that these shows will probably all sell out. Maybe I'm wrong...

They might clap or even stand up and wiggle. (not sure how to get Tea's quote to appear in a "box"???) Any Easy Answers?? :mellow:

When we saw Mickey Hart Band in Jan. in VT, the seated contingent SAT the entire show. I believe it was Matthews or Hockenberry who said something to the effect while walking off stage "I hope you all realize what you just missed". Glad we secured last row so we could boogie behind our seats in the standing room area. :)

Pass it on!! :dsorocks::headbang:

at the end of the day i have dark star to make me smile, so phil and his $150 tickets are not my problem.

yes its angering that the prices are way too high, but its not like phil is the only place you can hear the grateful dead. in my opinion, the vibes, music, and accessibility of dark star orchestra are way better than what i could pay more for at a phil show. im not that pissed at all. let the wealthy heads go have phil. i have dso. and im happy as a clam :)

• Forum MVP

regarding Mickey- Tahoe tix were 25 I believe and santa cruz is 29. looking forward to checking his band out in the cruz....and I know there will be dancers there.

Got tix for Mickey at the El Rey next month ,$28 plus fees , not bad at all ...

• Forum MVP

Saw Jorma 2 weeks ago at McCabes in Santa Monica ... acoustic Jorma accompanied by Barry Mitterhoff on mandolin ... it was an hour and a half show with about 200 people in attendance for a grand total of $32.50 ... Jorma was GRATE as always and closed the show with " I Know You Rider " ... Phil really doesn't have to charge so much for his smaller shows , but again , there is only one Phil and unfortunately the clock is ticking ...

• Forum MVP

While we're talking ticket prices,,,does anyone know if the band gets more $ if we buy them through dso tix vs. the venue vs. other online ticket sellers? I sometimes buy them at the venue when I can to save a few bucks, but dso is one band that I don't mind paying a little more for if it helps them out directly....

or do they just have a set contract with each venue that plays out the same for the band regardless of where tix are purchased?

I don't know all that much how the music biz works however I am looking forward to the next St. Stephen that dso blows my mind with....

Cheers

Archived