Boston Show 6/1/12

Dancin' Fool

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

In terms of "flailing" .... I understand where people come from when the person doing the "flailing" does not respect others at the show and think that they can take the space of 4 or 5 people .... especially in a crowded show in a spot up front ...

if "flailing" needs to be done ... then respect is a two way street and you need to understand that some people think you are trying to be "the show" when the "real show" is Dark Star Orchestra ....

so find a suitable place ... and flail away :)

• Forum MVP

But truly it's all about respect for other people. We're all at the show together. That being said, I am who I am, and I do things the way I do them because that's the way it feels right. We all have the power to seek and attract what we feel to be positive energies. I, and the people around me, always seem to be having a great time, a shared experience of joy. So it's all good:)

Guest L~Cat

I think most dancers completely respect the space of those who are there in the music no matter what they are doing, and those who are there for the music know its not cool to come park in the middle of the dancers.

As far as people who think you are trying to "be the show" well they obviously don't really get it then....dancing is prayer. Its communal sharing of energy to take us to a higher place- as is the whole purpose of a show (IMO). It has nothing to do with wanting attention. In fact, if I feel too many people watching me, I move. Its very uncomfortable.

• Forum MVP

As far as people who think you are trying to "be the show" well they obviously don't really get it then....dancing is prayer. Its communal sharing of energy to take us to a higher place- as is the whole purpose of a show (IMO). It has nothing to do with wanting attention. In fact, if I feel too many people watching me, I move. Its very uncomfortable.

Amen. Both the band and the crowd are the show. Neither is separate from the other and both are completely dependent on eachother. It's not about dancing or not dancing, it's about devotion to what's going on, because those of us who really love the music hold the experience very sacred. I find that dancing elevates my experience. Maybe it does for you too:)

Guest L~Cat

Amen. Both the band and the crowd are the show. Neither is separate from the other and both are completely dependent on eachother. It's not about dancing or not dancing, it's about devotion to what's going on, because those of us who really love the music hold the experience very sacred. I find that dancing elevates my experience. Maybe it does for you too:)

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

Guest Rob Eaton

I spoke the other day with our booking agent after reading the issues folks had with the floor section at the Wilber. He called the venue and as Rob B posted the entire floor section of 470 will be oPen GA. The balcony is reserved. Floor ticket holders will not be able to go to the balcony and visa versa. This is because of the fire marshall. Hope this at least helPs in deciding what type of ticket to buy and hopefully everyone will have a better time..... Peace

Guest L~Cat

right on. pretty nice the band/management takes time to listen to the fans and help us out when they can..... not sure how many other bands would do that....

DSO seems to be paying it forward. June 2010 DSO's venue was flooded and we had no venue. As I understand it, DSO asked Edwin McCain if he would share his stagetime with them. What could have easily ended up a cancled show turned into one incredible show all thanks to Edwin. http://www.archive.org/details/dso2010-06-25 I hope everyone has fun.

• Advisory Board

Amen. Both the band and the crowd are the show.

Yup... I've been to a few (very few) shows that the show itself rocked, but the crowd was just horrible... therefore, it made my show experience not so good... I feed off the energy of the crowd, as do I with the band... when one of the two is off, I feel as though the whole show experience is off...

Loved last year's recreation of 6/9/76 which was originally played at the Boston Music Hall right down the street from the Wilbur.

Wondering if the band could re-create 6/10/76 on 6/1/12.

Not sure if DSO has ever played back to back shows at the same venue, several months apart.

Just an idea...

i will remain grouchy until i get down to a dew with l-cat (don't say a prayer for me as i'm an atheist), WITHOUT getting clobbered by a flailing mangosteen, who i summize doesn't do it on a pin. once again you starheads r making rocket science out of what us deadheads simply just "got" back in the day. there is no flailing section at a rock n roll show, unless u don't mind sacrificing the sound, as there is ALWAYS plenty of room to do your thing (I usually find myself sacrificing sound for MY SPACE somewhat) somewhere in the venue. my guess is mangosteens spot should be the bathroom - where the shit goes.

• Forum MVP

I am the show!. Do you really think those of us dancing want to be gawked at, laughed at, and called freaks? To get called a freak at a dead related show used to really hurt my feelings. I thought we were all together as one, we loved one another, and respected whatever way one chose to engage themselves in the show. Then I realized those staring and calling me a freak weren't really there for the show anyway. I think Bobby said something like one in ten thousand. Those dancing, in general, are very respectful of the communal space that we are all sharing. The space doesn't belong to me and it doesn't belong to you; it belongs to all of us. If someone wants to nudge their way in front of me to take a picture, I am generally more than willing to stop my rapid movements to allow them to take their picture. Its when they decide to then stand like a statue in front of me that I have a problem. Notice the dancers are generally not complaining about other dancers. We often dance in places were we can't even see the band or the stage. Epic dance parties were had in Columbus and Cleveland on this past tour and in both cases I couldn't see the band from where we were dancing. Cincinatti was a different story; everywhere I went was a path to and from the bar or a space filled with talkers. I've been to Bogarts twice. The first time I thought the venue just sucked; this time I think the venues layout is poor, but there was also way too many people not there for the music. Its sad at Bogarts that if you flick a ligher a flashlight is in your face in no time, but when someone passed out, it took several minutes to get security to come assist.

As for the Wilbur, the show was epic. I think it was the best show of the tour (way better than Albany, in my not so humble opinion Greg). I wasn't in DC and those shows looked great as well. As for security, they ran that place like Nazis. They checked your ticket three times and made way too big of a deal to make sure that you were in the exact spot your ticket said you were supossed to be in. I always thought security's job was to make sure we had a good time in a safe manner, but I guess their job description is to herd people like cattle and impose their position of power over those who pay their salary. Feel the same way about cops. Serve and protect my ass. More like harass and persecute, but that toipic is better covered in the politics section. In some ways, I feel for the security. Higher ups probably told then to run the place like that and local law enforcement and the fire martial were probably big sticklers on making sure not too many of us were in the same place at once. At the end of the day, a security person at a venue is just performing their low income job as they were instructed. At most DSO shows, as with most situations in everyday life, I don't see a need for security or authority figures. We can police and secure ourselves. Its sad that too many people would rather tell security that I am dancing in front of their seat then to approach me and tell me that a sightline to the band is important to them and they would appreciate if I moved. . I would most certainly move. I don't want to detract from anyone's experience. Hell most of the time I am dancing in the corner with no sightline to the band.

I am glad the band and management has made an effort to address the issues we experienced at the Wilbur. I am sure it will lead to a better experience for all involved. We should be forever grateful that we have a band that cares so much to go out of their way to do everything in their power to make the show the best experience they can for everyone involved. In addition to playing the music we all love at an out of this world level (buy Eaton's mixes from this last tour, especially the electives, if and when they come out and you will know what I mean), but they also try to address our own personal problems with venues. Its nice to know they care about us.

I love this music, I love this band, and I love each and everyone of you (even grumpy ducats who I think tries to piss us off). Even the guy who spilled his beer on me and talked to his friend the whole show. I am forever grateful for this community. You are my family!

Guest L~Cat

i will remain grouchy until i get down to a dew with l-cat (don't say a prayer for me as i'm an atheist), WITHOUT getting clobbered by a flailing mangosteen, who i summize doesn't do it on a pin. once again you starheads r making rocket science out of what us deadheads simply just "got" back in the day. there is no flailing section at a rock n roll show, unless u don't mind sacrificing the sound, as there is ALWAYS plenty of room to do your thing (I usually find myself sacrificing sound for MY SPACE somewhat) somewhere in the venue. my guess is mangosteens spot should be the bathroom - where the shit goes.

Guess we're stuck with you forever then....f*ck.

they tell me of a pie up in the sky.....

• Forum MVP

"My feeling is that there is nothing in life but refraining from hurting others, and comforting those who are sad." ~ Olive Schreiner

• Forum MVP

Wow ducats, have you been watching me secretly? Do you even have any idea who I am, what I look like, or how I dance? The whole 'flail' thing started off as a joke which you took too seriously and then used to make accusations about me. I've gotten nothing but compliments from other show goers regarding my dancing. I say this not to brag but just as a hint to you that what you are trying to say is unfounded. Frankly, based on your chosen method of self expression on here you seem like a miserable and lonely poor soul. What kind of satisfaction do you get out of being so negative? Are you the model show citizen or something? Is there a right or a wrong about it? I'd like to meet you face to face and see you say the same shit. But I bet you wouldn't, I bet you would just hide in the shadows like a coward because you've already made yourself out to be an asshole to everyone who reads these forums. Is that what you want? I though people posted on these forums to make friends and meet people, it seems like you come here just to belittle others. Man, youve really got it all figured out...I guess I'll just dance in the bathroom tonight.

• Forum MVP
Wow ducats, have you been watching me secretly? Do you even have any idea who I am, what I look like, or how I dance? The whole 'flail' thing started off as a joke which you took too seriously and then used to make accusations about me. I've gotten nothing but compliments from other show goers regarding my dancing. I say this not to brag but just as a hint to you that what you are trying to say is unfounded. Frankly, based on your chosen method of self expression on here you seem like a miserable and lonely poor soul. What kind of satisfaction do you get out of being so negative? Are you the model show citizen or something? Is there a right or a wrong about it? I'd like to meet you face to face and see you say the same shit. But I bet you wouldn't, I bet you would just hide in the shadows like a coward because you've already made yourself out to be an asshole to everyone who reads these forums. Is that what you want? I though people posted on these forums to make friends and meet people, it seems like you come here just to belittle others. Man, youve really got it all figured out...I guess I'll just dance in the bathroom tonight.

Now, now kids! It's a big sand box. Don't make me come out there!!!!!!!! :) RB

Guest L~Cat
once again you starheads r making rocket science out of what us deadheads simply just "got" back in the day.

I'm pretty sure we're all deadheads, and though some of us may be young and haven't seen Jerry, there are plenty of folks on here who have and were "back in the day" and still agree you're posts are rather malevolent.

And as far as "praying" for you, I certainly can, that's my choice buddy.... I always have a hard time with the notion that one can be a deadhead and be an atheist at the same time....seems a bit counter-intuitive considering probably about half the songs out there make some reference to spirituality, aside from the fact that most deadheads consider the music to be spiritual in its own.... Agnostic, I could see. Atheist? hmmm. And again, we all know what they say about fox holes. Certainly does make for a good discussion.... and I ain't no holy roller, by the way.

Guest L~Cat

Now, now kids! It's a big sand box. Don't make me come out there!!!!!!!! :) RB

oh you don't wanna do that....I don't know if you'd like our sandbox :-)

I'm pretty sure we're all deadheads, and though some of us may be young and haven't seen Jerry, there are plenty of folks on here who have and were "back in the day" and still agree you're posts are rather malevolent.

And as far as "praying" for you, I certainly can, that's my choice buddy.... I always have a hard time with the notion that one can be a deadhead and be an atheist at the same time....seems a bit counter-intuitive considering probably about half the songs out there make some reference to spirituality, aside from the fact that most deadheads consider the music to be spiritual in its own.... Agnostic, I could see. Atheist? hmmm. And again, we all know what they say about fox holes. Certainly does make for a good discussion.... and I ain't no holy roller, by the way.

And its just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there

Archived