Boston Show 6/1/12

Dancin' Fool

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

If you are going to this show and you like to dance be sure to buy GA tickets. They are very strict about where you go in the venue. Long story short we had to steal bracelets to get down their and it made for a very frustrating first 3 or 4 songs. Staff were assholes. Apparently they were on to me and my friend as Ellie told me that they were talking about us on the radios. I don't go to these shows to sit in a seat or dance in a 2x2 space. Of course the band has no idea when shit like this is going on but I gotta say that im disappointed to see that they are playing there again. GA venues all the way! Theatres are for movies and plays, not rock concerts. My 2 cents. Peace.

If you are going to this show and you like to dance be sure to buy GA tickets. They are very strict about where you go in the venue. Long story short we had to steal bracelets to get down their and it made for a very frustrating first 3 or 4 songs. Staff were assholes. Apparently they were on to me and my friend as Ellie told me that they were talking about us on the radios. I don't go to these shows to sit in a seat or dance in a 2x2 space. Of course the band has no idea when shit like this is going on but I gotta say that im disappointed to see that they are playing there again. GA venues all the way! Theatres are for movies and plays, not rock concerts. My 2 cents. Peace.

agreed on preferring GA venues, however I think the band may enjoy playing theatres as I think they are typically nicer places to play...less cruddy than some concert venues. I don't care necessarily if there are seats there, but more often than not you need to worry about getting a place to dance, thats not on a slanted floor. I can think of several footloose venues out there.... tarrytown, the zoellner, that place in NJ they only played once, carnegie in pittsburgh.....

Its interesting what the band/crew prefers vs what the fans prefer. Perspective is all different.

if only there was a penns peak in every town ;-)

• Forum MVP

agreed on preferring GA venues, however I think the band may enjoy playing theatres as I think they are typically nicer places to play...less cruddy than some concert venues. I don't care necessarily if there are seats there, but more often than not you need to worry about getting a place to dance, thats not on a slanted floor. I can think of several footloose venues out there.... tarrytown, the zoellner, that place in NJ they only played once, carnegie in pittsburgh.....

Its interesting what the band/crew prefers vs what the fans prefer. Perspective is all different.

if only there was a penns peak in every town ;-)

Yea I get the impression that they enjoy the theatres quite a bit. Personally, dancing is half if not more than half of what is great about the whole grateful dead experience for me. There should always be a section set aside for those who want to spin and flail. And no drinks allowed in this section:)

• Forum MVP

But do the band members even participate much in deciding the actual venue,,or is that all determined by their booking agent?

I imagine important factors for the band as to whether or not they like a venue come down to sound quality, backstage area, and aesthetic of the space?? I wonder how aware they are of tight vs. loose security issues, for example, which of course has a strong influence on our experience on our side of the rail,,,

I think the bottom line for me is whether or not the venue over sells tickets and quantity of space available for dancing,,,I like my 5 acres and independence!

Guest Rob Eaton

The HOB asked us if we'd move because Kid Rock wanted our date and they asked if we would move to the Wilber as a favor and we said yes. It's actually very simple.

• Forum MVP

The wilber has the whole orchestra section wide open with no seating so I don't see a problem but I'm up on stage and don't have a clue what it's like out there. I certainly understand the frustration about the dancing but my first Dead show was at The Academy of Music in NYC with theater seating. It didn't stop me from completely freaking out!!!! and, of course, we love great sounding rooms whether they have seating or not!! RB

oh us dancers, we are just picky motherf*ckers :-)

if I had my way, every show would be like the ashland armory....nice wooden floor, all dancers, and no booze!

I'm with you!!! Ashland was the bomb!!! RB(and the cool house!!)

well get your asses back there then! actually I remember talking to someone- can't remember who, and it might have been in reference to the community center in arcata which from hearing the accounts of that night sounds similar- said places that don't have booze are difficult as there is no bar revenue. But I did actually see that the armory does now have full bar for shows- umphreys and mickey hart are playing there and both bands are advertising full bar. That scene though up there in arcata and ashland doesn't really need a bar though to get lubricated ;-)

(ps the house in arcata is pretty rockin too!)

I loved Wilbur last time around. Of course the show had something to do with it (:

Had great seats with excellent sight lines, sound was awesome. Nice mix of theatre vibe, general admission for those who want that, and seats for those of us who like a place to rest now and then. Would be nice to transit between sections like at HOB, but Wilbur is nice I thought.

the problem was they had lines taped on the floor and we were on the outside. so everytime my foot went over the line I had a flashlight in my face saying "stay in the lines" Finally we went to the second level in hopes of findin a couple seats we could dance in front of. Once we found a nice available spot a staff member in yellow cam out of nowhere "these arent yout seats!" I said "look, lady me n my girlfriend just wanna dance, we bought 2 GA tickets (which was def oversold for the taped space they alotted for us) and were getting hassled down there now were getting hassled up here. Is there any place we can just dance in peace?" Luckily she found us a nice spot in the back row of the 3rd level where I could finally close my eyes and dance in peace!! Maybe I'll just head to Hampton a day early? Love that little beach town.. long as your careful you can have much fun there.

• Forum MVP

the problem was they had lines taped on the floor and we were on the outside. so everytime my foot went over the line I had a flashlight in my face saying "stay in the lines" Finally we went to the second level in hopes of findin a couple seats we could dance in front of. Once we found a nice available spot a staff member in yellow cam out of nowhere "these arent yout seats!" I said "look, lady me n my girlfriend just wanna dance, we bought 2 GA tickets (which was def oversold for the taped space they alotted for us) and were getting hassled down there now were getting hassled up here. Is there any place we can just dance in peace?" Luckily she found us a nice spot in the back row of the 3rd level where I could finally close my eyes and dance in peace!! Maybe I'll just head to Hampton a day early? Love that little beach town.. long as your careful you can have much fun there.

Sorry, my friends and I contributed to the overcrowdedness of the GA section....we will not be held down.

Guest L~Cat

Add another certainty in life: Death, Taxes, Ducats is a grumpy bear.

best to not even respond to the negativity... he obviously is an unhappy soul. say a blessing for him instead.

• Forum MVP

What's wrong with flailing? :)

I think everybody should put out as much as the band does.

Can I get an AMEN?!? If you are not wringing out your shirt after each set, you need to try harder.

• Forum MVP

I had no problems at the Wilbur, I actually liked the venue. I'm sorry for those of you that experienced difficulties, some of which I witnessed. There were issues at Tarrytown in 2010, and Rob straightened that out also. It was much better in 2011. Good lookin'out. I'm sure the Wilbur will be improved with the bottom floor all GA. At least for those of us that were there at the Wilbur that evening, we were treated to what was possibly the best show of the tour, although Albany was up there also.

Archived