Mickey Hart WANTED for ASSULT

Herdygerdy

• Advisory Board

or so the story says...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mickey Hart wanted for assault

By Tony Hicks, Contra Costa Times

thicks@bayareanewsgroup

Posted: 09/12/2012 04:29:36 PM PDT

Updated: 09/12/2012 04:29:37 PM PDT

An arrest warrant has been issued for the Dead drummer Mickey Hart after he allegedly attacked someone at a recent concert, according to TMZ.

Multiple law enforcement agencies told the website that Hart -- whose real name is Michael Hartman -- has been accused of assaulting a person at a Mickey Hart Band show on Sept. 8 at Terrapin Hill Farm in Harrodsburg, Ky.

Hart played with the Grateful Dead between 1967 and 1995 and has since played on and off with various incarnations of surviving members.

The details surrounding the alleged attack are unclear. TMZ reported the alleged victim filed a police report and initiated assault charges. Supposedly, it's standard practice for police in Kentucky to issue a warrant as soon as an alleged victim decides to press charges. Hart's "camp" told TMZ they're looking in to the situation.

no telling how it actually went down... I was at the Terrapin Hill show and Mickey did have a stranger than usual vibe around him... he opened the door to the tour bus and a load of water drenched him... karma? or spirits working on him? coincidence? depends on how you look at it... either way he wasn't happy about it and maybe things got worse from there...

seems like, if you had crazy stuff happening to you all the time... seems like you'd try to exercise some of that juju ... turn it around to something good... quit being psycho to people around you and start being nice and cool, helping build up some good vibes in the cosmos... instead of thinking the tour bus you just picked up has bad energy around it ... maybe a little introspection would be more beneficial

which reminds me of a discussion the rumpke mtn boys and I were having after the Mickey incident... he's been party to an energy that's produced lots of good music and vibes for forty years now ... part of the heart of gold band ...part of something that's been extremely profound for countless souls... and the music plays the band at times... and the interaction and energy gets quite intense sometimes... and no words are needed or can be used to properly describe the feelings ... part of the unspoken thing... and confining this energy to verbal language doesn't do it justice... but bear with me here... so he's been part of a conjuring of music and energy/vibes for a while... almost like dabbling with a portal in the event horizon (consider quantum physics here, string theory/M theory and whatnot).... like dabbling in mysticism, like magic... like voodoo even...

so where does this wellspring of energy come from? is it merely imagination? or substantive? is it part of all of us when we are born? like a thread of light connecting us all?

and if it is real... with abilities to tap into, conjure and convey... then is it not confined, rather free flowing for those who tap into it? An energy one can feel across time and space ~

maybe that's what indigenous folks tap into for healing and prayer ~ maybe it's the same energy ~ a healing energy, an uplifting energy ... that can also be turned into a discordant energy depending on the approach... depending on the intention set forth

is this the energy of good and evil? the energy that divides religions and propels politicians and nations... all because of the labels people choose to stand behind for the sake of branding and exploitation... whether they realize it or not... still the same wellspring of energy

pardon the morning ramblings here ~ at this point in the conversation with the rumpke boys... Huck looked a little bewildered and I'm sure some of you are, too!

In short, Mickey should quit conjuring up crazy juju .... quit being a jerk to those around him and he wouldn't have such crazy juju... all the while I wonder if he thinks it's Jerry messing with him... some of Babtunde's spirit folk or I wonder where it really comes from for him... but if he believes it, it's real to him ~

here's to the energies we all bring :grouphug: ~ let me get more coffee and I'll drink to that ~ much love to you ... all

:dsorocks:

no telling how it actually went down... I was at the Terrapin Hill show and Mickey did have a stranger than usual vibe around him... he opened the door to the tour bus and a load of water drenched him... karma? or spirits working on him? coincidence? depends on how you look at it... either way he wasn't happy about it and maybe things got worse from there...

seems like, if you had crazy stuff happening to you all the time... seems like you'd try to exercise some of that juju ... turn it around to something good... quit being psycho to people around you and start being nice and cool, helping build up some good vibes in the cosmos... instead of thinking the tour bus you just picked up has bad energy around it ... maybe a little introspection would be more beneficial

which reminds me of a discussion the rumpke mtn boys and I were having after the Mickey incident... he's been party to an energy that's produced lots of good music and vibes for forty years now ... part of the heart of gold band ...part of something that's been extremely profound for countless souls... and the music plays the band at times... and the interaction and energy gets quite intense sometimes... and no words are needed or can be used to properly describe the feelings ... part of the unspoken thing... and confining this energy to verbal language doesn't do it justice... but bear with me here... so he's been part of a conjuring of music and energy/vibes for a while... almost like dabbling with a portal in the event horizon (consider quantum physics here, string theory/M theory and whatnot).... like dabbling in mysticism, like magic... like voodoo even...

so where does this wellspring of energy come from? is it merely imagination? or substantive? is it part of all of us when we are born? like a thread of light connecting us all?

and if it is real... with abilities to tap into, conjure and convey... then is it not confined, rather free flowing for those who tap into it? An energy one can feel across time and space ~

maybe that's what indigenous folks tap into for healing and prayer ~ maybe it's the same energy ~ a healing energy, an uplifting energy ... that can also be turned into a discordant energy depending on the approach... depending on the intention set forth

is this the energy of good and evil? the energy that divides religions and propels politicians and nations... all because of the labels people choose to stand behind for the sake of branding and exploitation... whether they realize it or not... still the same wellspring of energy

pardon the morning ramblings here ~ at this point in the conversation with the rumpke boys... Huck looked a little bewildered and I'm sure some of you are, too!

In short, Mickey should quit conjuring up crazy juju .... quit being a jerk to those around him and he wouldn't have such crazy juju... all the while I wonder if he thinks it's Jerry messing with him... some of Babtunde's spirit folk or I wonder where it really comes from for him... but if he believes it, it's real to him ~

here's to the energies we all bring :grouphug: ~ let me get more coffee and I'll drink to that ~ much love to you ... all

:dsorocks:you type like i type except i use - where u use ...... - is "part of the unspoken thing....." kinda like uncomfortable silences? - are u the disco pizza girl?

• Forum MVP

:dsorocks:

It comes from the big bang. That energy is clanging like a clarion bell!!!!!! All we manifest when we play are the remnants of this energy. IMHO RB

• Forum MVP

Are we to trust TMZ as a source? Some times people conjure up stupid police reports. There's could be another side to this besides mysticism and remnants from the big bang. Mickey's a person too and there might have been extenuating circumstances that provoked a misunderstanding. There usually is another side to the story that isn't as eye catching as the media wants us to buy into. He's put forward enough Fire on The Mountains for all of us to energize off of for many decades to come. I ain't gonna let some words on a screen denegrate his contributions to the cosmic universe. Bringing Jerry into this is just plain wrong. He did his time here well and RIP

• Forum MVP

From the SF Chronicle.

(09-13) 14:47 PDT HARRODSBURG, KY. -- Former Grateful Dead drummer and Sebastopol resident Mickey Hart denied Thursday that he had roughed up a man who rented him a tour bus in Kentucky - an allegation that prompted a judge to sign an arrest warrant charging assault.

A judge in Mercer County, Ky., southwest of Lexington, issued the misdemeanor warrant for Hart after Cecil "CJ" Curtsinger signed a complaint alleging that the drummer attacked him Sept. 7 at the Terrapin Hill Harvest Festival in Harrodsburg.

Curtsinger, 57, said he had been ushered to the back of the bus by Hart's manager before Hart threw him down, cursed him, hit him, pushed him and finally "told me to get off my bus."

Hart, 69, dismissed the accusation on his Facebook fan page, writing Thursday, "I am totally baffled by a bizarre claim of assault by me coming out of Kentucky - the home of bluegrass and a state I love dearly.

"Any accusation or claim of assault against me is completely false and without any basis whatsoever," Hart wrote. Referring to a pair of Grateful Dead songs, he added, "I played drums on 'Shakedown Street,' but I never expected to be 'The Victim or the Crime.' "

A spokesman for Hart said he would have no further comment. It was unclear whether the musician plans to submit to arrest on the charge of fourth-degree assault, which carries a sentence of up to a year in jail.

Mercer County Attorney Ted Dean, who handles misdemeanor prosecutions, said he was looking into his options given that Hart lives outside Kentucky. He declined to comment on Curtsinger's allegation.

Legal experts said prosecutors could seek to extradite Hart if he ever is taken into police custody in California, but that such a move would be unusual for a misdemeanor.

Curtsinger, a resident of Nicholasville, Ky., said in an interview that his wife had rented a bus to Hart and his Mickey Hart Band during the group's summer tour. The company, CJ Starbuses Inc., bills itself as the "keeper of the stars."

Curtsinger declined to talk about the alleged altercation with Hart or what may have prompted it. He said he was a Grateful Dead fan who had once driven a tour bus for Bob Weir, another former band member.

"I'm still trying to figure it out myself," Curtsinger said. "It's kind of a sad situation. ... Just pray for everybody."

Curtsinger signed the complaint a day after the alleged attack, and a judge signed the warrant Monday.

Hart was one of two drummers for the Grateful Dead. He was in the group from 1967 to 1971 and again from 1974 to 1995, when it disbanded after the death of lead guitarist and singer Jerry Garcia.

Hart has played with a variety of musicians since, including other Grateful Dead members. He tours extensively and writes books about drumming.

• Forum MVP

Michelle, thank you, how refreshing. Rob, what you said about the big bang reminds me of something I've been thinking about a lot lately... that moment of the big bang... that moment of nothing noticing something and becoming something separate.... the beginning of the breath.... that has to be just about the most wonderful moment, ever.

Thank you DSO for making that moment tangible and experienceable. pouring its light into....

I like to hear about people's personal creation or big bang concepts..... if anyone has any to offer, they should. we all see it at the shows.......

Famous people may be moving targets, but they can't be allowed to mistreat other people. They get away with crap that we would NEVER get away with quite often. I think it should go without saying, and without any further defense on my part, that I'm a HUGE Grateful Dead fan, and I love Mickey Hart for all he has contributed to the musical fabric of my life and this world. If this story is true, though, then he acted like a jerk and he should be held responsible for his actions. Maybe he was having a bad day or a bad moment. Whatever. We all have them. It's not ok to assault other people or crap on them.

• Forum MVP

Famous people may be moving targets, but they can't be allowed to mistreat other people. They get away with crap that we would NEVER get away with quite often. I think it should go without saying, and without any further defense on my part, that I'm a HUGE Grateful Dead fan, and I love Mickey Hart for all he has contributed to the musical fabric of my life and this world. If this story is true, though, then he acted like a jerk and he should be held responsible for his actions. Maybe he was having a bad day or a bad moment. Whatever. We all have them. It's not ok to assault other people or crap on them.

However, us "common folk" certainly get away with more when it comes to how WE treat famous people. Yes, we would not get away with being a d*bag to people as a lot of famous people do. However, if you just started walking up to "regular" people and completely got in their space, like we do to famous people, we'd be arrsted and hit with a restraining order and possibly forced to have a psych evaluation. Famous or not famous, if you treat people like a human being, you rarely end up in a situation like this. But finding two people who can both be rational in most situations is also becoming more rare.

• Forum MVP

You get in the wrong person's space, famous or not, you may be forcibly removed. Not saying its right just the facts. Most misdemeanor assaults don't recieve national or even local media attention. Charges are usually reduced or completely dropped. His behavior was probably out of line and out of character for him. I don't really know anything about this though. I don't know Mickey personally and i was not present for the event. I do know that i myself have acted out of line or out of character. I don't think Mickey should be condemned for an alleged misstep. Forgiveness is the key..

I have been completely out of line myself on more than one occasion. I'm definitely a work in progress. One of the things that separates us from primates, though, is being held accountable for our actions when appropriate. It's part of having a civilized society where there are expectations concerning our treatment of each other. Surely, forgiveness is key to having peace in our hearts and peace in this world. Being held accountable for our actions, though, and facing the facts ad the resulting consequences openly and bravely instead of with some sort of righteous indignation, can go a long way towards helping each one of us reach our full potential as the most complete beings we can grow to be in this life. Being able to say "WOW, I really sucked today! I'm gonna try to again to do better tomorrow" takes some strength and insight. And since we all keep repeating this, I'll continue the tradition - again, don't know Hart, wasn't there, don't know if the story is true;)

what happened to innocent until proven guilty? we as a community/society need to uphold/demonstrate/enforce these rights since the government is so hell bent on taking them away from us.. just saying. I wasn't there. I can't say if his energy is good or bad. we just know that there is an accusation. I only can hope that truth prevails and both parties get the justice they deserve.. however that plays out.

Archived