Dark Star w/ Mind Left Body Jam>

Stella Blue>

Eyes of the World>

Weather Report Suite

Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad>

Johnny B. Goode

Encore: One More Saturday Night

Filler: The Golden Road (To Ultimate Devotion) w/ Rob on drums instead of Dino

I've a lot of good things to say about this show, but sadly do not have the time as of the moment. Hopefully by tonight (if not tomorrow) I'll have a comprehensive review up of the show.

WOW, it was killing me last night that we couldn't be there. My hubby was too sick to travel 2.5 hrs, dance then travel and work at 7AM. We try to make it to Syracuse shows, but I have to say that the Westcott is not one of my favorite places, kind of a hole in the ground. DSO always makes up for it though with playing so exceptional. Hopefully someone recorded it.

WOW, it was killing me last night that we couldn't be there. My hubby was too sick to travel 2.5 hrs, dance then travel and work at 7AM. We try to make it to Syracuse shows, but I have to say that the Westcott is not one of my favorite places, kind of a hole in the ground. DSO always makes up for it though with playing so exceptional. Hopefully someone recorded it.

Yes the Wescott isn't really the nicest of venues, especially considering the band doesn't get there own bathroom, it threw me off seeing Rob Barraco in line for the bathroom with the rest of us. I don't even think they have heat. We were in there early and it was freezing. I think they were just waiting for the crowd to give the building the heat themselves.

I did see two tapers there. I meant to talk to them and see if they would upload the show to archive. I'm really hoping so, because there are definitely some things I'd like to revisit.

My review of the show:

First and foremost this might be the longest DSO show I've been too. The first set was phenomenal. Here Comes Sunshine was elegant and moving and the band was on point throughout the whole song. I felt the crowd lacked a bit of energy for the first set, which would've helped propel songs such as Deal and L.L. Rain into cathartic glory. I thought Jeff as always does a phenomenal job on Mexicali Blues, a song that didn't always catch my interest prior to DSO, but I think he takes it great places. I thought the band had great cohesion at the end of the first set. They were on point for China Cat>I Know You Rider with a blissful Feelin' Groovy Jam which always makes me melt with joy. Rob after China Cat>I Know You Rider..."And just when you thought the set was over," haha thank you. I did think the set was over, but the Playin made for such a fantastically long first set. The band was all doing such a great job during the song; Kevin doing an awesome job on bass and Lisa just letting it all out to close the set was truly wonderful. The second set opening of Half-step>Big River was awesome. It seemed the Half-step, was a little short, but then again the Half-Step's were shorter back in those years. The Dark Star was great and OMG!!! that MLB Jam was really something else, truly truly beautiful Jeff; that MLB jam was the highlight of the show for me. There might have been a little mistake during Stella it seemed something happened but I couldn't tell exactly what at the time, maybe Jeff just flubbed the lyrics briefly, either way though the rest of the set completely made up for it. It was all so beautiful including that Stella. The WRS was really cool, but I must say I have trouble comparing it to the face-melting version of it they played the 3rd night of Jubilee. The crowd had finally picked up on the energy so the second set was just straight fire by the time Eyes was played. I really respect the band for being able to make me absolutely love songs such as Johnny B. Goode and One More Saturday Night. I really love how Lisa just belts it out and really feeds the crowd some major energy. This goes the same for the Golden Road filler, just fantastic energy overall. Anyways, that is all I think I have to say about the show. Once again DSO...you floored me. See ya in Albany!

I dug last night's show, but I got the feelin' the crowd (which included a lot of younger heads) was lookin for a higher energy show. I thought the band played and sung great, but it was definately a more laid-back approach to a lot of songs (especially the 1st set).

My highlights were the China/Rider, a great PITB, and of course my all time fav Dead song, Eyes of the World.

Wish I didn't have to work so early Monday morning, or else I would have also enjoyed a couple more of the local brews on tap.

Yes the Westcott isn't the prettiest place in the world, but it's cozy, reasonably priced, and it's home.

Yes the Wescott isn't really the nicest of venues, especially considering the band doesn't get there own bathroom, it threw me off seeing Rob Barraco in line for the bathroom with the rest of us. I don't even think they have heat. We were in there early and it was freezing. I think they were just waiting for the crowd to give the building the heat themselves.

I did see two tapers there. I meant to talk to them and see if they would upload the show to archive. I'm really hoping so, because there are definitely some things I'd like to revisit.

At least the bathrooms worked for you, last summer one of the bathrooms was broken so we all had to use the one (men and women) for a while til fixed. The show is up on archive now. Yeah!

Peace,

Kris

"There might have been a little mistake during Stella it seemed something happened but I couldn't tell exactly what at the time, maybe Jeff just flubbed the lyrics briefly"

That's just how the Dead played songs..... that made every show so different and memorable :)

"There might have been a little mistake during Stella it seemed something happened but I couldn't tell exactly what at the time, maybe Jeff just flubbed the lyrics briefly"

That's just how the Dead played songs..... that made every show so different and memorable :)

Very true Sudds. In what I consider the greatest version of Positively 4th Street, there is a moment where Jerry goes up to the mic to sing, but then decides to pull back and let Ozzie Ahler's lay it down on the keyboard. Who knows if that version would've been so jaw-dropingly gorgeous if he hadn't done that. A lyrical flub that led to greatness. Give it a listen! You can note how Jerry pulls back from the mic at right about the 5 min mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9NQcY3_Xs

• 2 weeks later...

Archived