VIalo!!!!

Set two

*phil

*china rider

*Hard to handle (smokin!!!!3

Cryptically>other one> cryptically>

Alligator>eleven>gdtrfb

Broke down

Actually, Phil sat in for China Rider, Cryptical, Other one and Chrytical  Mind bending!!!!

• Forum MVP

OK ,,,,, a personal  note ... Aaron , Rick , Jenna , Noah , Riley , ALL MY LOVE TO U GUYS , you made the night so much fun , lets do it again soon  ,,,,,, David and Randy ,,, so very good to see you guys !!!  Randy, you give the best hugs , and David , you had me at hello , see you all back here soon  ,,, JOHN my friend ,  good to meet you , finally,,, after all these years,,, hope the time till we meet at the next show  , is short  !!! Sonoma Jon ,,, you remind me of folks back east ,,,your friendship is like going home ... Ty , really good to say hello to you for th first time ,,,,, you and Sakada bring strong energy to the room  , that kinda helps some of  us old guys get up and take notice , Thank You for the dance lesson ... !!! and Pres ,,, your another guy that gives GRATE hugs and the days between are waaaaaaay to long !!!

:dsorocks:

Set one

No Phil

Dancin (early 70s, sick jam)

Till the morning comes

High time

Easy wind>Nfa>drums>new Orleans>

Death dont

VIalo!!!!

Set two

*phil

Unless you had inside info, during that first set I'm wondering how many people started thinking there was going to be no Phil?  I thought it was possible just because it never said anywhere that Phil was playing with them.  It just had DSO at TXR.  

I'm sure it was great.  I wish I could get in Phil's head right now.  I wonder what its like for him to play with these guys?  Does he enjoy it just the same as all the other bands he plays with, or is he wide eyed and in awe?  

So Mike tells me I need to post more... :). Grate seeing you as well brother. Have a safe drive back down south.

Fantastic show last night, amazing energy. Terrapin is a truly special place. So fun to walk out at setbreak and listen to the family band playing in the bar. Phil sitting in is so awesome. At one point when Lisa came back on (after Rider??), she was peeking out behind Phil and his amp and walked out so delicately as to not disrupt the neck of his bass. Wish I had a great pic, very sweet and respectful. The fact they got both drum kits up there and Rob's B-3 meant all business. The stage just isn't that big! There were highlights throughout the show but most of all it was just nice to be in Marin at Terrapin with starheads.

Hopefully next time through they stick around for a second night.

Here's to hopefully another guest appearance tonight at the Sweetwater. Enjoy the day everyone!!

• Forum MVP

Set one

No Phil

Dancin (early 70s, sick jam)

Till the morning comes

High time

Easy wind>Nfa>drums>new Orleans>

Death dont

VIalo!!!!

Set two

*phil

Unless you had inside info, during that first set I'm wondering how many people started thinking there was going to be no Phil?  I thought it was possible just because it never said anywhere that Phil was playing with them.  It just had DSO at TXR.  

I'm sure it was great.  I wish I could get in Phil's head right now.  I wonder what its like for him to play with these guys?  Does he enjoy it just the same as all the other bands he plays with, or is he wide eyed and in awe?  

If Phil was away on tour  ... last night would have been epic , no matter what !!! DSO KILLED IT !!! take that to the bank !!!!!  ;)

So Mike tells me I need to post more... :). Grate seeing you as well brother. Have a safe drive back down south.

He's right.  I had like 10 or 20 posts when I met you Randy and you told me to post more.  I started posting more.  You probably had like 300 or more at the time.  We are now tied.  Actually tied at 416 until I post this.  Its not a competition, but I think you should post more.  

Post 420 coming coming soon :580:

• Forum MVP

Two really enjoyable sets.  Great songs, great flow, and great jams.  Would have loved to see Phil up there for a full set but I'm greedy that way.  

I love the "period piece" elective vibe.  Take Lisa off stage and that could have been 1970, song for song.

Mike -  nice to meet you, my friend.

Rob B - loved sharing a few sips of wine with you.

Quite a place, that Crossroads.

• Forum MVP

What a show! DSO just brought the house down from start to finish and the entire band played so well and rocked so hard. That riotous Dancing with the Tighten Up in the middle was a portentous start to a night that would not let up. I loved every minute of the show and TXR is just a wonderful place for show. Great vibe, intimate setting and rocking love just filled the room. When Phil came out to start the second set, it was sheer bliss and excitement and the proverbial icing on the cake.  When he played those bombs on TOO, it was like a dream! Lots if great interplay with him and the DSO musicians helped make the night as off the charts as it was. Death Don't Have No Mercy was a Lord have mercy moment. Viola Lee spun off into a totally satisfying entropy, Rob B. and Lisa wailed on Easy Wind, and Alligator>Drums>Alligator>The Eleven--what the heck can you say about that!! Fantastic beginning of the Bay Area shows. I am very happy this morning! 

• Forum MVP

Meet me at the Crossroads

I'm sitting in the airport with beads of sweat still dripping from my brow. I am slowly starting to collect my thoughts about the night or rather the experience that just took place. It was my baby's birthday and she got to celebrate it in the grandest of fashion with the Dark Star Orchestra. We both knew we would be in for a special night with the very high likelihood, hell almost assured fact that Phil Lesh would grace the stage for just the 2nd time with DSO. As most here know, Phil is no stranger to playing with both DSO's own Rob Baracco and to a lesser extent, DSO's Jeff Mattson. My first trip to the crossroads was to see Rob B play with Phil in a project oft referred to as the Q. It was a fantastic experience, but I must admit that my excitement was much greater for this event. Instead of Phil leading and dictating a group of musicians through GD classics, Phil would be a member of a working whole, a cog in the ever important machine producing the most important of sounds.

If I told you it was everything I wanted, I would be liar. I don't find the crossroads to be the greatest of dance halls. The space is too small or oversold for a real big get down. This would lead to some frustrations throughout the night, but nothing could extinguish this overriding sense of joy flushing through my veins. Don't get my wrong; I have many different emotions flowing through me now and I would throughout the night. It appears that the most important of these fears is being alleviated. I definitely managed to put myself in the right space for the show and had many friends come along for the ride.

I must note that any trip to California to experience GD music in any of its facets is always a special experience. So many friends that I only see a few times a year. A few I hold very dear to my heart. It definitely feels great to share in the love and I couldn't thank you guys enough for showing it to me. The rides to and from the airport, places to stay, and even a birthday cake for my lady. A special thanks to Star Child, Noah, his wonderful lady Riley, Bobby, and Ellen. I am sure there are other friends worthy of thanks being left out, but I definitely wanted to make sure to thank them. They really helped make this experience go.

As always, a special thanks to my favorite band the DSO and their ever so hardworking crew. I especially want to thank Rob B and the band for extending Jenna a birthday wish. She doesn't take much time out of her busy schedule to post these days, but she definitely appreciates the love. Maybe she will share a few words with you guys later about her experience.

Set One

Dancing in the Streets

Till the Morning Comes

High Time

Easy Wind>

Not Fade Away>

drums>

New Orleans>

Death Don't have No Mercy

Viola Lee Blues

The show started off strong. I probably got my best dancing and thus, highest energy rush at the start of the show before every one had made their way inside the venue. After a brief statement from Baracco to start the show, that included a wonderful nod to my lovely lady and her special day. The band kicked it off with a fantastic dance number. As would be the theme of the night, the dancing was played in the 1970 style with some fantastic jamming and some jazzy funky dance beats being sent our way. I feel the crowd really responded in kind and we were sent into whirling dervish of smiles and good fortune. I don't know how anyone could feel anything but blessed to have been in attendance. I don't want to overstate this, because anytime you see the DSO is a most memorable experience. Although I still prefer the 76's/77 styled dancing, DSO has me enjoying these earlier versions more and more each time. Till the Morning Comes kept the energy high and the crowd a floating in a whirlwind of dance. This is still a DSO rarity and has only been performed by them a few times, including a wonderful version over our New Year's celebration. High Time would be the first inclination that my hopes for a giant dance party were not necessarily to be. I am happy to hear that many of the California dancers thought they had great dance space; I am pleased I didn't stubbornly force my way into the space I wanted and detract from those around me. However, I become very aware during the High Time how packed the show had got and now, what is often to my dismay at a show, I also began to notice some very unnecessary conversing.

High Time is a quieter song or at least for a good portion of it. I feel it demands some deep self reflecting and in the right setting can be truly soul cleansing. This leads to slower less frantic dancing and the conceding of some of your demand for space. Be careful, if you give an inch, they will take a mile. Listening to someone's general gossip of the day certainly detracts from this experience and unfortunately, as I've learned all over this country, no matter where you are, some people are really only their to talk and hang out. The show is their bar and they appear to have very little respect for those who want to listen attentively. I would think this might be different in the Bay Area and it certainly is no NYC event, but it is also certainly no different than most anywhere else.

Easy Wind would prove to be one of the highlights of the night. The greasy bluesy feel of a good Easy Wind always gets the feet moving. So many great lines from that song, but I guess I'm most pleased that no one is trying to hide my liquor. Not Fade Away kept the Easy Wind energy rolling across the Terrapin dance floor. This one can get some potentially annoying, but definitely much more appreciative crowds noise, as many in the crowd and I wouldn't be surprised, if myself included, sing or yell the line love is real not fade away.

The Death Don't was a little much for me. It is a very heart wrenching tune and one I find an immense difficultly blocking out the crowd noise and distraction. I got one from Furthur last year on 4/20 and one from DSO this year on 4/9. Let's just go with 4./20 has a whole different meaning for me that you may think. I had been dealing with some unsettling news and although the results aren't in, the surgeon's prognosis after the procedure has diminished some of my fears, but the thoughts are tough to shake now, then, and I guess will be until the results come in. Its been 2 years since he left me and I can't lose her yet. I'm not ready. Just hoping for the best really. Just the uttering of those words creates an overwhelming sense of emotion.

Viola Lee Blues is a fantastic way to end the set. It wasn't my favorite Viola I've seen of DSO. I found some of the jamming to be a little looser and disjointed as to how I like to hear the song best with a tighter sound. However, it was certainly interesting to hear DSO explore some other nuances to the song and kind of take the song places I'm not sure it has ever been.

Set Two (Phil emerges)

Chinacat Sunflower>

I Know You Rider

Cryptical >

Other One>

Cryptical

This was truly a treat. I must admit when Phil played with DSO at the Fillmore it was a little bittersweet for me. For all the shows to miss, I had skipped the one Phil appeared at. Who knew for sure if this would ever happen again. I am so happy I got a chance to witness it. I don't want to hurt Kevin's feelings and I certainly don't feel that way now having witnessed it, but around 2008 or 2009, even before the whole Furthur thing came out, I always thought the best possible scenario for the creation of this life changing music would be for Phil to join DSO. The China > Rider brought this dream into fruition with a slightly more dominant and forceful bass player at the helm. The sound was incredible. I guess it should be noted that one great benefit of the Crossroads is the incredible sound that a band can create in that space. It may be tight in there, but it sounds crisp, clear, and refreshing. Unfortunately I guess I chose to try to go rail side for the Phil set as my friends assured me that they had great dance room for the first set. Although they would say the problem cleared up, the dance space was not great while I was there and I had to retreat to the back. I find it crazy just how different one's perspective of the crowd can be as compared to another show goers. Like I stated earlier, I had many friends tell me they had terrific space. The cryptical > other one > cryptical was life altering stuff. It wasn't necessarily the strongest version I've heard DSO put out, but the bomb to start the other one was classic Phil Lesh. In my mind, no one plays the bass the same way and to my ears, any better. I feel for those songs to truly reach their potential with Phil more time playing with DSO would be in order to work their way through some of the nuances and different directions of the art of the music.

I think it is important to admit and declare that this portion of the show was truly special, but I do not feel DSO missed much of anything while Phil wasn't on stage. I find Kevin's playing right now to be fantastic, especially when he gets playful and goofy with it. I'm glad Kevin seems to be enjoying himself after all these years and through life's trails. He certainly has been a rock for DSO and we should all thank him for his service.

Set Two (continued without Phil)

Hard To Handle>

Alligator>

The Eleven>

Going Down the Road Feeling Bad

After the great honor of witnessing DSO share the stage with the one and only Phillup Champman Lesh, DSO gets Kevin back to the stage and immediately delves into a fantastic Hard to Handle. I did some space creation and feel I was able to at least get some of the dancing blues free from my shoes as I strutted to the over confident lines with my head full of thoughts of just what it means to be hard to handle. If my lady will let me, I can certainly give you what you need. (Don't get your hopes up ladies, she won't let me). Alligator is always a nice treat, always great to spend sometime mumbling bitches and wagging my tail. Northern California is certainly a great place for this, as their are many types of heads with many different life experiences all coming together to share this love we have of the music and each other. A love I hope we feel for all mankind. The Eleven kind of brought it all together, "This is the season of what…" and the GDTRFB reminded me just how I would feel leaving the bay area without finishing the rest of DSO's stay. This was to be a one and done event and although, I willl see you guys again real soon, Eugene and Portland, I know I am going to miss some special music this weekend.

Encore

Brokedown Palace

Need I say more?

This was an amazing experience for Jenna and I. I am so glad that so many familiar faces got to take part in the festivities and celebrate with us. Especially great to see Mike who I haven't had the chance to really spend time with since what did we decide buddy Dancing in the Streets 2009. I couldn't feel more blessed that knowing so many of you kind folks that help me believe that one day we as a people may find a better way to live. One that includes all of us, encourages all of us to flourish, and takes care of all who happen to be diminishing. Really your the only people left I know that still believe that the world can be different and don't just except the Hobbesian stance of realism. They at least allow me the hope that maybe we were all peaceful and loving and it is society and its laws that have diminished this and promoted hatred and violence. I certainly don't understand why anyone would ever want to hurt someone. Doesn't that hurt you too?

Enough with the political/philosophical mumbo jumbo. With a special thanks and spreading of all the love I have to give. I bid you goodnight until next time.

Love is Real

• Forum MVP

Really fantastic seeing you Mike...it was pretty great to have you at Terrapin.  That place is better off with you on the premises (exclamation point).

(and a smiley)

Same for all the other wonderful Star heads who made the trip.  You know who you are (I know you do).

• Forum MVP

Really fantastic seeing you Mike...it was pretty great to have you at Terrapin.  That place is better off with you on the premises (exclamation point).

(and a smiley)

Same for all the other wonderful Star heads who made the trip.  You know who you are (I know you do).

I think the staff at Terrapin are probably the nicest group of people I've come across at any venue , they make you feel so comfortable ... and the sound in the great room was everything that Rick said ... that venue is kinda perfect , I cant wait to go back !!! and David , all the kind people in attendance were the sweet icing on the cake !!! see you again soon !!!

:grouphug:

• Forum MVP

just got home ... what a drive ... phone is off ... going to bed ...

:dsorocks:

I'm glad ya made it home safe buddy. I was a little concerned.

yeah buddy , it was a rough one ... rockin' all night and drivin' all day could be a problem ... I think I want to move up north !!!  maybe right in San Fran , get a little band going , get a job at Guitar Center on Van Ness , grow my hair long ... actually I think Santa Cruz , Petaluma or maybe Sonoma ???

Archived