World's Greatest Tribute Bands

Blindman

So I've been hesitant to start this thread but after watching multiple hours of Jazz Fest live on AXS TV over the weekend, I can't help myself. AXS is owned by Mark Cuban (as I understand) and as a lot of good music programming. Anyway, they have this new show highlighting the best tribute bands in America.

Now we ALL know DSO is FAR from a tribute band but I'm always looking for DSO to get additional publicity. So I watched some episode with an ACDC band and they were adequate. The show is low budget and also covers the Doors, Queen, U2, etc.

While DSO is exponentially better than all of these bands and I can't imagine that many people get this cable channel let alone watch it, I can't help but think DSO would be the stars of the show.

I know... probably a silly post.

Have a great day star heads.

• Forum MVP

And if you get the chance, see the Australian Pink Floyd. Also, the Pink Floyd band in the late night slot one evening at the Mighty High last year was just exactly perfect given the set and setting.

• Forum MVP

Grateful Dead is like jazz and classical in that it's worth recreating over and over. Other rock music, for my taste, is not....unless done by DSO :)

Your hardcore  ... B)

• Forum MVP

budapest symphony orchestra

Grateful Dead is like jazz and classical in that it's worth recreating over and over. Other rock music, for my taste, is not....unless done by DSO :)

Still not your biggest fan Star:}    but your words ring true for me as well.     I honestly think DSO could make music by Tiffanny fucking pyshcadelic fun!!!

GD is timeless-----and their music and lyrics will affect many many generations to come!!    I could enjoy seeing a recreation of The Wall or something, but what would I do with the music?

Dance?  Can you dance to that stuff?       GD has it all....The jazz, the country, r and b, folk--------rolled into a complicated mixture of pyschadelic fun!!!  Its actually a whole lot more than that!!!

Could not help the  booze tonight Star:}     Needed a break, as upcoming shows and Jubilee are making me twitch-------  

But to make a legit contribution to the thread----DUH-------DSO:}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The best "cover band"......but in all honesty,  I do not see them as  a cover band, just like I do not see The Budapest Symphony Orchestra as a cover band. 

So I guess circles, and no actuall contribution, but fun to type:}!!!!

Peace out bro-----look forward to seeing my favorite covers at Jubilee!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Chuck ,I just seen these guys ,Brit Floyd,some of the same members

Thanks for the link - that was worthy of First in Space! Can you dance to it? You betcha! I know some folks who did at this one festie in New York. And getting the chance to flail to "Astronomy Domine" live, that would be a real treat.

How about that Flashback Festival at NLQP in '06? That was an interesting weekend. The Neil Young guy was pretty good. Of course, there was this GD band that pretty much stole the show both nights.

• Forum MVP

I've been recording that show just to see what I would see. I agree that the AC/DC band was decent(drummer was atrocious though). The Stones tribute was not very good, a lot of bands could do much better. I was hoping that the Van Halen tribute would be decent but unfortunately........ Horrible.

I guess I got my hopes up but since I am spoiled by DSO.....

• Forum MVP

Sun,

It's not the booze we're really complaining about.  It's the intoxicated rambling.  I've been guilty of it myself.   Love, light, and grateful dead to all.  I shall see some of you real soon in Port Chester.  Happy dancing.

• Advisory Board

Sun,

It's not the booze we're really complaining about.  It's the intoxicated rambling.  I've been guilty of it myself.   Love, light, and grateful dead to all.  I shall see some of you real soon in Port Chester.  Happy dancing.

But Rick, you don't need to be intoxicated to ramble on and on and on and on and on and on....

• Forum MVP

Sun,

Huge smiles here guys---------My words have a hard time reflecting my tone!!!!     No ill will here,  I was actually trying to create some levity, while stepping into some self deprication----I even smiled after I said I am not your biggest fan Star:}   

Sorry StarChild------I actually enjoy your post----you seem to have some good infor and insight with the scene and music.  I respect that, and enjoy learning from your words!!    I enjoy most everyones post.

I do not like it when a Hippy from the North West is trying to get a ride to a show, and you guys get on there and make him feel like a poor peice of shit for not having a car.   Dont think that is the kindness that comes with the music, but we are all human, and our frailties surface----mine so very often:}

I have to admit MC----I was a little hurt when many of you vets got on me about my Bobby post, and then to be called a "Dick", and "that "your"  sick and tired of my post".  Thought those were a  bit personal from people who do not even know me, but oh well!!  There is  truth in those words-------I can admit that:}!!!!    

But really, its a DSO forum!!!   DSO for me roots in the love and recreation of what was the best of GD-----kindness being passed on to others, strangers shaking hands, differences embraced rather than admonished. 

In all honesty, my rambles just represents my excitement for DSO, and a refound love!!!   it would be great to make friends through forums, and I have!!!   I hope to meet many of you, as I have read through nearly every post and thread on this forum---, I have a sense of this forums history and members----maybe more than you all know!!!!    I say this, because there are some of you on here that have kept this forum alive and structured----I have a deep sense of appreciation for that.   Ya'll have built a community that survives, thrives, and informs:}!!!   

Ya'll have been FUCKING AWESOME in answering my questions about DSO!!!   I am very grateful and feel thankful---Perhaps I should express that more often.  

Final thought, as I am now in ramble territory......i am who i am.   sorry if some of it turns you guys off------its not my intention-------I can take the heat....so no worries!!!!          \

I actually prefer to shut up and dance-------and MC I will not be at Port Chester.........But hope to buy you a drink in Wilimington or at the Peak in Penns!!!!!

GOD I LOVE THIS FUCKING MUSIC:}   8 days and counting!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

"I do not like it when a Hippy from the North West is trying to get a ride to a show, and you guys get on there and make him feel like a poor peice of shit for not having a car.   Dont think that is the kindness that comes with the music, but we are all human, and our frailties surface----mine so very often:}"

I just reread the thread and I think you are misinterpreting what went down. He was making a general point about hippies in oregon....and from my experience it is quite often true!

I myself do not have a car right now. It sucks....but you can go ahead and make jokes about it all you want, i'm not going to feel like a piece of shit on account of it.

I don't care if you like my posts or not. You do seem to be quite the character and I actually look forward to meeting you at the Jubilee. When you put yourself out there as much as you do(and as sloppily) then you better be ready to take the heat.

Funny how every time some one gives you shit you come back with a fairly well written post. That's all I ask, I'm not going to take the time to sift through your words when its a bunch of babble. I'm not really asking you to stop, I have the easy choice to skip over posts that I don't want to read.

Have fun on tour, I know that you are excited. I myself am excited for the Jubilee. Very excited.

Peace.

• Forum MVP

Chuck ,I just seen these guys ,Brit Floyd,some of the same members

Thanks for the link - that was worthy of First in Space! Can you dance to it? You betcha! I know some folks who did at this one festie in New York. And getting the chance to flail to "Astronomy Domine" live, that would be a real treat.

How about that Flashback Festival at NLQP in '06? That was an interesting weekend. The Neil Young guy was pretty good. Of course, there was this GD band that pretty much stole the show both nights.

Seems like I remember a pretty decent Zeppelin band that weekend also.

• Forum MVP

For me, 1 of the positive by-products of being on the DSO bus is that i am allowing myself to consider seeing other "tribute" bands – bands that i otherwise would’t have given much effort to see.

It was because of DSO that i took in a Get The Led Out show earlier this year – Little Boy mentioned them in above post – they rocked, they REALLY ROCKED! A group of talented musicians, who have spent years honing their skills devoted to their vision of the the greatest Rock band. And while different from the Dead scene, a parallel awesome experience because of that dynamic feedback between the crowd loving the music, played by musicians who clearly enjoy being together and playing the music they love.  Sound familiar?

Archived