Sunshine daydream

St Stephen

Playin

The wheel

China doll

Playin reprise

White rabbit

From dear prudence on was epic

upon further reflection it all was epic!!  I was rereading the setlist and I thought, what was wrong with before Dear Prudence?  Nothing.  Hot show.  My favorite night.  Thanks DSO.  Paramount theater is sweet.  I was all over the place tonight and there isn't a bad spot in the house.  

• Forum MVP

Happy New Years. Great to meet u Tom. I'm sure I will see many of you again at jubilee. Now it's time for 2 days of sleep. If u decide to make it down to St Louis get in touch.

And man did that 2nd set not smoke. I think I prefer to have a long 2nd set vs 3 sets. That show went too fast. I was kind of surprised they didnt drop a Dark Star encore at the end, but that White Rabbit was insane. I love how when skip drops those bombs he gets this huge grin on his face. He def loves those Phil bombs.

Thanks DSO for the epic time. See u guys in February

• Forum MVP

And man did that 2nd set not smoke.

You type this right?  I can envision a downshift here and there but I'd be a little bummed if that set honestly didn't take off with the likes of Cats, Box, Dear Prudence (especiallly), and Hey Jude. 

I know the whole run in its entirety was a sublime experience for those who took it in and I would love to hear Richmond since you thought that one was the jewel of the bunch.  I plan to listen the Philly show that's on archive and hope the quality is such that there can be just a little insight into DSO's take on that legendary show!

Glad you had a great time and I hope DSO in 2014 can somehow top all of the jaw-dropping moments they created in 2013!

• Forum MVP

Not a lot of action here! I bet everyone is still recovering, myself included.

I plant to write some reviews but just can't muster it yet.

best nye show since Jeff's first (09-10)....one of my favorite dance parties ever. more to come...

• Forum MVP

I meant 2nd set smoked. I was so pumped to hear Cats. I think I went a tad too hard that set after that. Knowing this was last show I tried to leave it all out on the dance floor and crashed and burned midway 3rd set lol. I have a lot more respect for guys like Rick who tour nonstop. 4 in a row was rough. Calf muscles are still screaming but my cheeks muscles got a great workout from days of smiles.

• Forum MVP

All the sets smoked!! That Cats was absolutely incredible!! And the Cassidy and so on--it was a wonderful NYE show and yes, I am still recuperating!! Thanks to DSO and their amazing crew--the music and the experience simply could not be better!!

• Forum MVP

Top 5 songs of the night

Cats

Cassidy

Dear Prudence

Lovelight

White Rabbit

Honorable mentions are Shakedown, St. Stephen, and China Doll

We had a really good dance fest in the back.

Thanks to everyone who came out for this run. I had a blast. I love each and every one of you. Let's do it again soon.

You guys should have heard my initial 5+ hour review post show. Got myself a B+

• Forum MVP

I thought Shakedown was on your list? The subliminal shakedown, no crazy in your face solo but a nice pocket groove...

my top five of the night

Box of Rain

Cats

Cassidy

Dear Prudence

Sugar Mags>Touch>Sugar Mags

The whole night was fantastic. Loved the song selection and felt everything was played to it's fullest. It was so funny sitting around after the show discussing the show and hearing all the different perspectives...so subjective.

For me there were some standout moments for sure. I'd like to say that I think that my enjoyment of these moments had as much to do with my experience in the moment as with any preconceived notions of what songs I like the most....you never do know which ones are going to get you. The first song I really fell into the groove of was Schoolgirl. Totally changed the vibe of the set from a somewhat standard 80s feel to slinky, raw, and psychedelic. And I'll tell ya, I was surrounded by Beautiful people, both male and female. We were all groovin on each other and I for one could certainly feel the vibrations humming. Masterpiece was sublime, always love this song. Danced to Might as Well like it was a set closer and sat down when it was over, only to discover that the band was still on stage. Oops. No complaints here for the Weight that followed, another song which really seemed to lift the spirits of myself and those around me. And the Promised Land....why not?

Second set might have been my favorite set of the run. It's hard to say for sure. They dropped the opener chords of Cats like a bomb and the dance party was on for sure. If this song doesn't make you hop around a little you should get your heart checked. I was so excited during this song, felt like we were dancing on a trampoline. Cassidy was huge, love when this song takes a real journey. Detected Dear Prudence from the very first inklings of it's start. Another moment where I could feel that everyone was really into it. Jeff's solo was ridiculous, soaring ever higher and higher. Boom. And then came the Box of Rain. I can't exactly explain why it was so special to me but this was unlike any other Box i've ever heard. Every line came with a revelation in of itself and every note danced and colored the way. "look into any eyes, you'll find by that you can see clear to another day"...looking into the eyes of the dancing, smiling, hippies I got a real sense of community, of loving humanity, and I do believe that we have the power to create heaven on Earth. "Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare". I choose Love, and I Loved this song. Highlight of the run. The rest of the set played out Blissfully.

Set Three on paper maybe wouldn't be my favorite but it all felt just right in the moment. It struck me just how psychedelic Sugar Mags is. The Sugar Mags Touch sandwich was super energetic, and our danced party followed suit. Raged St. Stephen and I was sure the Eleven would follow but alas you can't always get what you want. Playin went to some interesting places and dissolved nicely into the Wheel. Love the Wheel....so beautiful. Felt so connected to all, and the feeling remains. ( i hope it never goes away). China Doll...Wow. The solo was so clear and powerful, one of my highlights without a doubt. Love Playin Reprise....more dance party.

Wasn't surprised to hear White Rabbit, and i've gotten my share of them, but this one was by far the best. They stretched it out and squeezed all the life out of it that they could. Thought the show would go later but was content with all the amazingness we got. Post show hotel room hilarity ensued....my face is still tired from laughing and smiling so much.

Let's do it again next year.

• Forum MVP

Let's do it again soon.

If you figure out a way to have another New Year's run any sooner that in about 360 days from now, let be know because I am there. Seriously. You all seem to have had a lot of fun and I want in on some of it.

• Forum MVP

Star, upon further review I have given into the white rabbit. I still contend that the shakedown was a rhythmic heaven but I'm gonna let majority rule on that one. My two sleeper picks of the night were the weight and hey Jude. Neither exactly jump out at you when looking at the set list but they felt so good.

chuck, I can't speed up how fast we go around the sun but I may come out west for a dance party. Wish you made it out here for the run.

I think NYE was my favorite (just so much fun, love, and plenty of laughs afterwards) but philly had the best music. That Terrapin Dew.......

• Forum MVP

If I had to rank the shows it would be:

1. NYE

2. Richmond

3. Paramount night 1.

4. Philly.

The 2nd set on New Years pushed it above Richmond. I do love how everyone has different favs from the shows. We were discussing in the hotel that there are so many variables that influence this. I may have been so tired from driving that the Philly show was my least fav of all. We were all really tired after that show b/c of driving in the rain all day with little sleep the night b4. Also I'm objective enough to know that Richmond had been a huge build up for months so that may have influenced me, but that show also had some insane transitions and was nearly flawless.

Lots of great music. Was really pleased to hear the majestic Dear Prudence. They really nailed it!

Best shows musically:

1. Philly

2. Paramount night 1

3. Paramount night 2

4. Richmond

Most fun shows:

1. Paramount night 1

2. Philly

3. Paramount night 2

4. Richmond

Those 2nd and 3rd spots in both list are practically interchangeable for me; it can be tough to compare two completely different shows.

• Forum MVP

Without a doubt Richmond had the wildest overall crowd. They were screaming the whole time from end of 2nd set til DSO walked back out. Paramount night 1 had the most talkers. Omfg they sucked. ADHD assholes. 2 minutes in to a song and they had to turn around and talk. Also it seemed like 1/3 of people left paramount by mid 2nd set. Way more space for the rest of us after that. Then New Years seemed empty after 3 nights of packed houses. We were pumped about that. Tons of room to move. As u can see mike and I were in total disagreement about night 1. I always favored 70s shows til that night and DSO just melted my brain. Loved it. Best hey pocky way I've heard. I was disappointed in Philly that Dallas didn't win and I could have left with a black eye, then Rob E had to bash my cowboys saying Americas team my ass or something to that extent lol. It's ok. I forgive him as I know he's a jets fan and only rooted for the eagles knowing eagles fans like to stab people and he had 2 more shows after.

• Forum MVP

BTW, the key to long continuous runs is pace. A wise man once told me its a marathon not a sprint. Some nights there are no drinks or party favors. Just the music and the love.

You are correct. Starting with Cats in 2nd set I couldn't help but leave it all on the dance floor. Had this cute girl next to me dancing her ass off too and we fed off each other's energy. But I def didbt hydrate enough after set 2 as we had to rush in for the midnight countdown. 1 thing I realized is that the forum people are by far the most intense dancers.

The band was on all cylinders this leg.  i was fortunate to catch Philly>Paramount and find their musical conversation with the audience and amongst themselves to be top notch.  They definately point to something beyond themselves on stage.  I watch intent with a very critical ear and besides a couple of minor irritations, I was pleasently moved repeatedly.  Thank You For A Real Good Time.   Even WHite rabbit was better than I have heard before.  Not a huge fan, I was a tad let down but they totally took the song and made it their own. 

Here are some highlights for me.  Sugaree. How about the extreme soulful RJ?  GDTRFB was pure extreme energy!

Terrapin >Dew

Cats......  

The Sleepers for me:

TMNS (Philly)

BEW (12-30)

Playin>Wheel>CD>Playin (NYE)

Those 3 just were incredible.   That MNS in Philly was so good they could have just ended the show and i would have been content. 

Which BTW is a great experience.  When I could be completely satisfied without hearing a whole show is the pinnacle for me.

Archived