Baseball

bs69

• Forum MVP

Totally agree, the game last night is what makes baseball the great game that it is. After 6 games of back and forth, it all comes down to a 1 run game with a few critical plays and some great pitching determining the outcome.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Totally agree, the game last night is what makes baseball the great game that it is.

some great pitching determining the outcome.

Bum is an all-timer with that performance on. 2-days rest. There's only a few instances where a player single-handedly won the World Series for their squads. Stuff of legends!

112 days till pitchers and catchers report :)

• Forum MVP

The game last night was one of the most interesting and entertaining games I've seen in baseball. Everything from Sandova's wink to the camera early in the game to his falling on his back in joy after catching the last pop up out was wonderful baseball. We got to see a magnificent fielding play by the Giant's econdbase man, flipping the ball with his glove to start a double play. The star of the playoff, Bumgarner, usually a starting pitcher, coming in to pitch five innings in relief to get his third winning game of the series. And with two out in the bottom of the nighth the Royals hit a ball past the centerfielder to get a man on third. I think he should have tried to get home on that play....especially since he ended up still standing on the bag at the end of the game.

I said the same thing. If he had even a 40% chance of making it, it was worth it with 2 outs.

• Forum MVP

Totally agree, the game last night is what makes baseball the great game that it is.

some great pitching determining the outcome.

Bum is an all-timer with that performance on. 2-days rest. There's only a few instances where a player single-handedly won the World Series for their squads. Stuff of legends!

112 days till pitchers and catchers report :)

And a product of North Carolina!

• Forum MVP

They reviewed it on espn. It was likely less than 40%. Would have taken a bad throw but how many bad throws do you see to home plate. Lots. Over excited guys can throw it to the backstop.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The Cardnials have started out well but now our starting Ace, Wainright, is out for the year. How do you replace a twenty game winner ? I don'T know but We Will Surive!

Well 3 months after this post the Cards are still by far the most dominant team in baseball. Year in year out without a top 10 payroll they are the most consistent winning team in baseball. They have a great farm system and a great front office and having the most dedicated fans in baseball doesn't hurt either. Unfortunately my favorite team, the Braves, are corporate owned now and have a bottom 10 payroll. They spend just enough to make sure they will win 70-75 games which will sell enough seats to give their desired profit. Gone are the days of the best starting rotation in baseball history and one of the best 10 year runs if not the best in baseball history, albeit they only won 1 championship in that period :/.

• Forum MVP

Rude, Don't fret too much. The Braves are just in a rebuilding mode. In a year or two when the new stadium is open they will be coming back with the big players and win some pennets.  Yes, that starting rotation a few years back was the best ever. No one can expect to come up with a set of pitchers like that again.

Have fun tonight at the Variety...I'm skipping tonight to save energy for Friday and Saturday.  Hope to see you at Black Mountain...beers on me.

Peace and Love

Doc

• Forum MVP

Big decisive series starts in St Louis tonight.  The Pirates who are just a step behind Kansas City of having the second best record in the majors,  play three games with the Cardinals. This series might determine if the Cards run away from the rest of the National League or if the Pirates can slow them down. Pittsburg better bring their best bats. Cardnials pitching has been on top of the world. They threw three straight shutouts a few days ago.

Peace, Love, and Baseball

Doc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Now with only a little over a month left in the regular season, the Cardinals are holding on to a slight lead dispite playing only 500 ball the last two weeks.. After a string in Arizona they play San Francisco, the Pirates, and the Cubs. It's getting down to that time when they show who's got it and setting themselves up for a deceint place in the playoffs.

• Forum MVP

That's right Rude. Braves will have a couple rebuilding years waiting for the 2017 opening of the new stadium. Watch for them to pick up a couple big name all stars during the 2016-2017 winter.  Even my good friend, Roe, has lost interest in them for now and he's the biggest Braves fan in the state.

• Forum MVP

Once ted turner sold the braves I slowly lost interest as a corporations began to make decisions about maximizing profits vs putting a winning team together. Say what u want about the cowboys and jimmy jones but he spares no expense on that team. If he had to lose 100 mil to win the Super Bowl he'd be happy doing that. Time warner doesn't have that attitude.

• Forum MVP

Once ted turner sold the braves I slowly lost interest as a corporations began to make decisions about maximizing profits vs putting a winning team together. Say what u want about the cowboys and jimmy jones but he spares no expense on that team. If he had to lose 100 mil to win the Super Bowl he'd be happy doing that. Time warner doesn't have that attitude.

Atlanta wants a small-market payroll in a growing/larger market area (27 out of 30 in payroll).  It doesn't help that the ATL is one of the weakest professional sports towns there is short of Miami or Tampa Bay. 

The Dodgers are pushing 300 Million in payroll!  LOL!  They want a title bad but I'd be shocked if they get past the divisional round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

So to tell you how bad the braves are right now I won't use the stat that they have lost 16 of last 17 games. A more telling stat is that since 1991 (3900 games), they have allowed 15 earned runs or more a total of 10 times!! In their last 7 games they have allowed this 3 times. From 1 in 390 games to 1 in 2.3 games. The braves have officially become a giant turd.

Archived