Penns Peak

August West

• Forum MVP

Past shows been cold rain and snow. Fuck....GD played 2nd night in biggest snow storm 93 richfeild.....Wtf

I have nothing to punch at moment....another rejection in a long multi year life of constant rejection. Should be used to it by now....fuck fuck fuck

Man, so sorry your plans are screwed (and everyone else's). Major bummer,,take lots of deep breaths and see if you can still make it to some other live music and party and have a good time tonight,,of course nothing like dso but maybe still a fun music adventure of some sort?

Hang in there...

And still be SAFE out there!!!

• Forum MVP

So sorry for u guys. I know the excitement for a show you were experiencing and I also know the worry about weather. We didn't make the last minute cinci trip last winter b/c ice and were worried St Louis would be canceled as well. Very nerve racking. Hope u guys find a nice pub with a fireplace and drink your worries away.

• Forum MVP

I can understand sun's sentiments. The weather wasn't going to stop the devoted. I don't drive a semi or bus so I can't speak to that. I think getting down would be more dangerous than getting up although getting up can be more difficult than getting down.

This had the feeling of a must do 3 set monster. Reward those who brave the elements to make the show. It would be like the peak 7 to 10 years ago before DSO would sell out every time up there. 3 quarters full almost entirely of people who need this music.

If the band played a monster tonight, we would be talking about it for years to come. Those that made it would smile ear to ear and those that didn't would just shake their heads. Could've been a night never to forget.

Now, I just can't wait until Friday so I can forget. Definitely no hard feelings. I love this band and this music. We will get by.

Happy thanksgiving to the band crew and fans. I am grateful.

I live in Lebanon, PA, about 90 minute drive on I-78 to NE Extension. Let me tell you, that drive sucks in the best of weather. Tr-Tr-Truckin' if you know what I mean. This had to be a hard call for the band. I thought they would have an easier ride when I saw they were coming from Vermont, since storm was coming from south. My stomach's been tied in knots for last few days, trying to figure out what to do. A little background, this show is a family tradition me, wife and kid(s) been there most years. We were in touch with Peak Wednesday morning and at noon thought it was a go. As the driver, the decision came to me and I said yes. We had car packed and were literally out the door when we got the word. What a relief I felt. ... It's not worth risking your life to be at a show. But based on what Mother Nature had delivered to that point,  I felt it was worth trying ..being able to go slow. having an early start and all.

I am sorry for those who made the effort to be there and where disappointed. An earlier call would have been better, but I won't judge, not having been in a position to have to make that call. 

What I will say is that most bands would have played this show, without regards for the safety of their fans. So thank you very much DSO for sparing me and my family (OUR FAMILY) a risky trip.  We will be there with bells on Sunday. ... p.s. not really with bells, I hate hearing that clatter during a show.

• Forum MVP

Many of what the locals tell me...there has been much worse weather...and the band's still played on!!

Fans have a Mind... and are smart enough to measure risk reward....especially this far in the game. But often the joke has been on me as there is no else around to bluff!!!

Woke up more sore from not dancing than if I would of got all this built up frustrations and turmoil out of me on the dance floor last night!!!

Funny how the word canceled felt like a upper cut from Tyson in his youth!!!

Going down the road has a whole new meaning at the moment. South park was fun last night though. Jabba the hut dressed like Salley strothers. Brought a good smile!!

This still stings. Venue did not cancel show...plenty of trucks/ scrapers/ and salters that could of followed up. I have had plenty time to think about this. And yes...I have experience with heavy equipment, large trailers and trucks.

No need to dwell...but it's going to burn again Sunday night when they play!!!

• Band Member

For all of you that are upset, we apologize. It wasn't for lack of trying. We were within a mile if the venue and couldn't get the bus or truck up the hill. After a couple of fruitless hours of effort, we and the venue did not have a choice.

For a show the size of the peak, our crew needs 4-5 hours for setup BEFORE soundcheck. That would not have been possible.

Additionally, for fan safety the venue felt it was best not to bring people up there. Even had people made it, the lots were going to be a mess.

I'm sorry for those who can't make it on Sunday, but it really was the best, safest option for all involved.

Hope this helps clear things up. Have a great holiday

• Forum MVP

Thanks for the chime in Rob. DSO does not have a track record of being slackers, so the pass is granted with thanks for all the times you didn't need one and blew our minds! Remember, the greater the love, the greater the disappointment. Happy Thanksgiving to band and crew, thanks for sacrificing your holiday time at home with family to be on the road pleasing your fans!

Ok here is my timeline. I talked to Debbie at penns peak at 4pm tue and asked what is the likelihood of the truck and bus not being able to make it up the hill in 8-10" of snow/ice. She told me there has been snow before and the trucks get up the hill. She said "Maury road is a state maintained road and they do a really good job" She said "there should be no problem". I tell friends what Penns told me. Early wed morning leave for hotel in Jim Thorpe, meet friends and we check in at 9am. Show gets rescheduled about 1:30pm.  Friends from all over in various hotels by now.

DSO is a class act and I am sure they would have played if they could have gotten up the hill!!!

This is a minor letdown for me.

The only bad feelings come from reading the post on this thread and at Penns Peak/Debbie. Bad feelings for the pain good people have when they forget that life is a trip and worth every penny, good bad or indifferent!  

Although a great venue for a show, I am feeling like they (penns peak) are less than a class act and don't really care about the inconvenience to customers and the financial repercussions of a rescheduled show. About Penns being concerned about fan safety, I think they were more worried about if anybody got hurt leaving the show and their possible financial repercussions. (I could be wrong but don't think so)

I also kinda bristle when people post that shit happens but stayed at home and had no inconvenience. Seems like a slap in the face to people that are upset by these events.

That being said, sitting in hotel room at Jim Thorpe, it only took seconds to say to myself "shit happens". I had a good time in Jim Thorpe. About 8 of us had dinner and enjoyed live folk music at the saloon- Great way to spend the night before Thanksgiving! 

Not doing NYC and not sure about Sunday. -$

While I am talking about what bristles me. Gotta love when people say "I can't afford...." or "I am broke" when they have money in the bank, or  401k, credit cards, can go to credit union, own property etc. Feels like a slap in the face when I know the true meaning of broke. I don't think people are malicious, I think they just don't realize what they're saying and who they say it to. I make my choices in life and love the life I live even if it means truly being broke sometimes. I hope everyone had a peaceful thanksgiving! I am full, grateful and sleepy, Goodnight!

• Forum MVP

This too shall pass, and so it did with huge hugs from my kids!!!    Nothing warms the heart bigger than a child's love!!!

This thing stung everyone!!!

I know my words get harsh, and please understand, my frustrations are never directed at the band!!!    Rather more like taking a little powder, take a little salt, roll it up and Sunny shoots out his word laden mouth!!

For people more normal than I, Just venting frustrations, and shooting it out everywhere!!!! 

If you don't get it out at times, when it does go, it hurts innocent others in the process!!!  I am a emotional reactor, and so my words get loaded!!

Thanks for all the updates above.  

Thanks Rob!!!   Sorry about words that might create a stir!!!   

You know, everyone knows, I and all of us love you all!!!   But just as my kid says he hates me sometimes, when I don't let him do something, I too can be that little brat!!   What can some of us say, we will never grow up!!!   And thank God for that!!!!!

I hope yall on Sunday, that can get back up there, get to enjoy a barn burner.   I know many of you don't have the time with work and family, but in essence, it will make the next showing that much more grand!!!

Hope you all had a Greatful Thanksgiving, and again, warmest wishes for Christmas and Hanukkah!!!! 

C some of yall in Richmond, Electric Factory-----break ----then hopefully 930club.  Though all venues is a big fight for space, DSO always tends to rock these places!!

Hopefully next year I get a Penn's again!!!

• Forum MVP

My unfortunate timing was that I left the house just before the announcement was posted – and I don’t look at my phone once I’m driving.  Like Sun said, bad weather & phenomenal GD shows went hand in hand.  So I headed out the door with feelings of commitment and delicious payoff.

Pulling in to PP in late afternoon was both exhilarating & confusing.  I made it, the staff were busy plowing, but where are the cars?  I pulled around the back and didn’t see the bus…the vision in my head was that of the bass drum sticker changing to “this is not a good sign”. 

After reading about the cancellation, I made the quick decision to get out of there and get back home safely.   In the short amount of time my warm car was cooling off in the snow, the outside was starting to get covered in ice.

In retrospect, I think the best decisions were made given the crappy hand dealt by the weather.

Had I not been so fixed on getting off the flippin’ mountain quickly, I might have considered going into town and discovering the local rally point.

I trust Sunday will wrap up a historical chapter for the DSO faithful.

• Forum MVP

I think the longer you have been online, the more they let you like!!!  They used to cut me off on three a day!!!!

Now, I get like 5-8 likes a day!!!  Yea,  I got some credits:}!!

dsostar-----brother, I am so sorry to hear of your adventure.   I can really picture and feel your emotions as you got to the parking lot.   No bus, no cars, f_____  no:{

Almost like your bride left you at the alter!!!!   Well,, that might of been a good thing for me, but still would of hurt the same!!!

More I think about it, the more it makes sense!!!   Families go through the good times and the bad, what is left over is a stronger community!!!   We win together and we loose together, but we all do it together.   Sharing sadness is easier when sharing with others, and sharing the joy makes it that much more fantastic!!

I see a lot that goes on in shows.  You all make me smile so very much when I see you all smiling!!!!   You all make me smile so much when I see you all dancing!!!

How sweet it is to be loved by you all!!!!  

I shared enough of my words----going to go start a tree house project for the little ones.  I hate plastic presents, so this year, they get a tree house!!!!  

They drove from Vermont last night. They were very close to the venue at PP with Pearl and the truck. They tried very hard. They care about their fans. I feel really bad for my friends that were already there and waiting.

.....but who can the weather command?

Double like!!!

Sorry, I realize my post may have bristled others, that was not intended. I have always been one that looks out for the hurt and less fortunate and my post was more to remind people that some were very distressed by the rescheduling. I got plenty of group text  saying stuff like I am glad I didn’t leave yet… I hope Sunny didn’t get those!  While I was at it I vented about last week when I was going to the diner to get a cheeseburger deluxe so I can eat and give the fries to someone else that had NO money. A friend (not deadhead) said they can’t go because they are broke. They have good job, cc, bank acct, bought new truck, live with parents etc. Meanwhile I was happy because I had enough to give fries and gas to get home from there.

Allyouall have a grate time tonight and tomorrow ( I won't be there I have obligations to attend to ) and will probably see you at penns. Luv you guys and gals!

Archived