GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

If I could be granted one wish , it would be to see DSO on Fri  and the final Soldier Field show on Sun  , sat would be an open day , maybe just hang in the lot if that's possible  ... if I didn't have my head up my ass about this whole Trey playing lead thing , I might have did all the right things and found my way there ... such is life ... we are streaming the Sunday show on a big flat panel TV with a really good sound system connected and BBQing with a bunch of old tour buddies ... nothing left to do but :headbang:

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Just saw the ppv add on TV

Dirty business...nrps

THERE’S TALK BEEN GOIN’ ROUND

HOW THEY’RE GONNA SHUT IT DOWN

IF THE MAN DON’T COME AND FIX THINGS

PRETTY QUICK

DIRTY BUSINESS, DIRTY BUSINESS

DIRTY BUSINESS DOWN IN COAL CREEK

THIS MORNING

PRETTY SOON THERE WAS A CROWD

IT WAS GETTING’ PRETTY LOUD

AND THE MEN ALL SAID THERE’D BE NO WORK TODAY

DIRTY BUSINESS DOWN IN CHICAGO

THIS MORNING

• Forum MVP

Just saw the ppv add on TV

Dirty business...nrps

THERE’S TALK BEEN GOIN’ ROUND

HOW THEY’RE GONNA SHUT IT DOWN

IF THE MAN DON’T COME AND FIX THINGS

PRETTY QUICK

THIS MORNING

PRETTY SOON THERE WAS A CROWD

IT WAS GETTING’ PRETTY LOUD

AND THE MEN ALL SAID THERE’D BE NO WORK TODAY

DIRTY BUSINESS DOWN IN CHICAGO

THIS MORNING

I love that track.......I seem to recall that Jerry played the lead on that song (trippy slide jam at the end?).......can anyone confirm?

• Forum MVP

John Dawson: acoustic guitar, vocals

David Nelson: electric and acoustic guitar, mandolin, vocals

Dave Torbert: bass, acoustic guitar, vocals

Jerry Garcia: pedal steel guitar, banjo

Spencer Dryden: drums, percussion

Mickey Hart: drums, percussion

Commander Cody: piano

New Riders of the Purple Sage  album 1971

• Forum MVP

John Dawson: acoustic guitar, vocals

David Nelson: electric and acoustic guitar, mandolin, vocals

Dave Torbert: bass, acoustic guitar, vocals

Jerry Garcia: pedal steel guitar, banjo

Spencer Dryden: drums, percussion

Mickey Hart: drums, percussion

Commander Cody: piano

New Riders of the Purple Sage  album 1971

Yes, I need to pull that album off the shelf and give it a spin......I listened to that sucker a whole lot in the mid-80's. Crazy great ;)

• Forum MVP

... not the same band from Santa Clara ...

Correct.  They were on another level altogether. 

Could really have used a jam after 3rd verse Fire, and Phil led Franklin's was predictably horrific, but the show was very strong overall.  Trey in particular shined. 

• Forum MVP

The scarlet fire transition was a little rushed , I think it was Bruce   singing fire and he rushed into the song , it also seemed like they ended fire too soon and on a miscue ... Phil singing is our own fault for chanting all those years , " Let Phil Sing" ,,, we should have been careful what we ask for lol  ... all indications from the excellent HD audio feed I had  told me that Trey was leading the band or at least had strong input in the direction of the music and was giving up lots of Jerry guitar licks  ... it was a very solid show and a pleasure to listen to ... I feel those in attendance last night got to see and feel  the power of a  Grateful Dead show  !!!

• Forum MVP

Perhaps they all relaxed into a deeper sense of trust. There has been a lot of anticipation !!

Trey's playing at the end of Jack Straw really gelled the sense for me the hammer was going to drop. It was remarkable.

I felt like Jeff Chimenti was stuffed over in the corner. Perhaps they need to cue each other.

I hadn't see the Wheel performed in a long time. Really sweet. Good to see Passenger in the line up. I love that rocking tune.

Fun fun show

• Forum MVP

Yes, PG, Jack Straw was red hot (with two extra added jams) and The Wheel was beautiful.

And yes, the transition into Fire was botched by Hornsby. 

And why oh why does Bobby insist on kiliing the MNS vibe with that added vocal element ("The music never stooped - it never stopped!").

But all that is nitpicking.  Fine show overall.

• Forum MVP

Getting ready to hit a train to the lot. Need to make a sign "looking for a pair of face value miracles. Fuck scalpers". I'll pay what I have to up to a point. It's once in a lifetime right. And Meili said ill pitch in 150 which was the clincher. After last nights DSO show and her getting ripple, brokedown Scarlett and yes sunrise(she's a singer) she was floating on air. And her twitter and snapchat feeds were filled with super cool pics so she's been ecstatic all morning. Hope we can walk by the right kind people and secure our place in history. I heard last night lots of miracles happened but...that was the least sought after show. Most of the people at DSO I talked to were going to try to get tix for tonight.

Have a great show everyone and hope to share some energy with you!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

You'll find tickets.  Like I told PG, no one that needs these shows is going to get shut out.  Soldier field is huge.  Now, will you have tickets for the floor or have to jump.  I do not know.

• Forum MVP

Amazing time. Found some great seats. We were so happy to get in after walking around all day we went to sit in our actual seats behind the stage until we got our bearings and picked where we wanted to see the show. The sound sucked there. It was echoey and hollow behind the stage. We motivated around to club level seats at the stadium mid point and we found the sound and light show. Behind the stage had neither. Can't believe we wasted a few songs there. . Zero security besides the pit or field area. OMG the sound was just sick. That big stadium sound. Light show amazing. Besides a few glitches I thought it was brilliant. That golden road was ridiculous. That 2nd set was ridiculously psychadelic. The soundboard operator knows how to run a board. The surround in that place just can't be duplicated in a theater show. That's what really hit me. They did it up right. No cost cutting on sound or stage.

Madhouse after. Complete madhouse. 100s of tanks. A few selling 1 for 20 I shit u not and some were paying it. I'm like fuck u. Found friendlier operators and we sat happily in the grass along michigan ave with thousands of others and their balloons. It was very surreal. We'd taken over downtown.

So happy I did this weekend. 3 nights of Dead/DSO completed. I feel like the luckiest person alive right now. I can't believe I'd been so negative about the lineup and just assumed the playing would suck. This is my band and they rocked us out again tonight and I wasn't even going to attempt to go to the show even a few days ago Wtf was I thinking. I should have gone Friday night as well. Now I want to see Sundays show. Ramble ramble ramble.

• Forum MVP

We brought the show to 28 people ! Our buddies old dyes hanging. One hung across the front door like a portal to another dimension and a sign leading to the "Goldrn Road" past a local artist's penny farthing to the backyard gate. We decorated the wheel and left one spoke unilluminated for Jerry. The missing spoke. I painted and free hand drew a huge steal your face on a full size sheet with flowers to hang behind one of the TVs. We had 3 dance spaces and the kids hung out, some dancing. We had fractals projected behind one TV and it was amazing how it went along with the show ! Just a program off the internet. What a blast

• Forum MVP

Congrats Rude....

As said above...I did feel like I was at a Dead 3 Day run(with JK abd DSO add ons!!)

Not just about the shows.. which did exceed expectations. I also rashly denigrated Trey pick and like you recant.

Today I proudly adorn my DSO shirt...Analogous to JGB in mid 70's...why would I not want to see my favorite music played at the highest levels for in the most part $25 and tiny venues where I can dance freely.

BTW Mason's advice about it will happen was so spot on and I sold my extras for 300 each at my hotel to people like me who could afford it and to them it was a miracle.

Again I am so glad for you Rude...

There is Nothing Like a Grateful Dead Concert

• Forum MVP

Congrats Rude....

As said above...I did feel like I was at a Dead 3 Day run(with JK abd DSO add ons!!)

Not just about the shows.. which did exceed expectations. I also rashly denigrated Trey pick and like you recant.

Today I proudly adorn my DSO shirt...Analogous to JGB in mid 70's...why would I not want to see my favorite music played at the highest levels for in the most part $25 and tiny venues where I can dance freely.

BTW Mason's advice about it will happen was so spot on and I sold my extras for 300 each at my hotel to people like me who could afford it and to them it was a miracle.

Again I am so glad for you Rude...

There is Nothing Like a Grateful Dead Concert

Archived