other tributes?

liquidsmoke

Is this an okay thread to start? Madison, WI has a good one called New Speedway Players that I've been seeing for a few years now. Thinking about checking out Forgotten Space in Milwaukee Saturday night, any of you ever see them?

Does your area have a Dead tribute? How are they?

• Forum MVP

Cubensis in LA and adjacent locales. They've been at it since the '80s. They rock it hard - fun dancing, with a good scene that trends a little older demographically. That makes me feel right at home. Tom Ryan sat in on keys for DSO there for a bit.

Others can talk about Splintered Sunlight and Uncle John's Band.

• Forum MVP

Stu Allen and Mars Hotel in the Bay Area, always a different band (except Stu). Very good. Dead and Jerry Band. There is another, Cryptical, that I haven't seen before.

In Santa Cruz there is the China Cats. Haven't seen them yet either, though they just played with Melvin here this past weekend. Couldn't pull my act together to make it.

Some of the same guys from that band do shows as The Spirit of 76, playing JGB shows from 1976. Saw them once, was pretty good. Matt Hartle (guitar) and Steve Sofranko (keys) can play.

Back where I'm from, Philadelphia, has Splintered Sunlight (dead) and Pure Jerry (Mostly JGB). Both a good time.

I'd bet there are hundreds, or at least one hundred, different dead cover bands throughout the country.

• Forum MVP

I've never seen Jake's Leg from St Loyis but their drummer played a filler with DSO last summer in St Louis. Thinking of going to a show next time they play. Guessing Koritz is friends with those guys being from the Lou.

Edit: this is why I love this forum. They are playing an hour from me at SIU on 3-28. Now I have another show on my schedule

• Forum MVP

Terrapin flyer with melvin were playing right by home tonight, and they are good, but I still made the 2+ hour trip up north for DSO. Born cross eyed from Lexington always puts on a good show. Dino plays with them during DSO breaks. Lee Owen from BCE is also in owsley county we will see at the jubilee. And stu Allen plays a couple shows a year with them around Christmas close by me. Have also seen into the blue from around Cleveland. Ok too

• Forum MVP

Terrapin flyer with melvin were playing right by home tonight, and they are good, but I still made the 2+ hour trip up north for DSO. Born cross eyed from Lexington always puts on a good show. Dino plays with them during DSO breaks. Lee Owen from BCE is also in owsley county we will see at the jubilee. And stu Allen plays a couple shows a year with them around Christmas close by me. Have also seen into the blue from around Cleveland. Ok too

BCE March 14th at Cosmic Charlies----- see ya there duck

• Forum MVP

Was just listening to some Almost Dead after reading some reviews. They were saying it's a fresh take on the dead. I guess maybe I'm just old b/c I don't need a fresh take on dead. They are definitely talented and it sounded great but the dead doesn't need to be modernized IMO. Marco benevento though is definitely a huge talent as he shined at the 1st jubilee.

Archived