Asheville

Tea

• Forum MVP

5/3/69 Winterland

He Was A Friend Of Mine, Cryptical Envelopement-> Drums-> The Other One-> Cryptical Envelopement-> Doin' That Rag, Me & My Uncle

Dupree's Diamond Blues*, Sitting On Top Of The World, Dark Star-> Saint Stephen-> William Tell Bridge -> The Eleven-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

* Jeff on acoustic

F: Easy Wind, Golden Road, Viola Lee

Words half spoken

• Forum MVP

Great dance space.

5/3/69

Notes;

He was a friend of mine

RIP Chris Winkler buried today.

Cryptically

Other one ..... some really, really fun and nice rhythm guitar

Great googlely mooglely a ripping one

Cryptical ;Shouting ! Jeff .,, you know he had to die

Hints of let it go

Monster drums

At one point Vortex changed the the tempo with his percussion shakers ....whatever that instrument is and we dove back into the Dark Star melody

They make me want my day go to the melody of Dark Star. I feel like dancing in a Miro painting.

Classics peals of Jerry into get down peals of thunder.

DSO is a huge band unto their own. Obviously they enjoy each other and we are in on the finely crafted expression of their particular joy.!

SOTOTW led us to wear the floor just a little thinner

St Stephen hugely welcome

the eleven damn skippy ...not Skip but really happy

Placed a mike in front of Rob B

Yayyayayayay

Lovelight : Barraco you obviously did your HW. Thanks

Easy wind : Mr. Soul balling that jack

Hey hey hey!

Viola Lee blues - a runaway train Jeff was driving ..,,3/4 way through ....going over a cliff .....actually went over the cul and picked up speed. Went it came to a slower pace Rob Koritz seemed to let off some pent up drumming steam

Some really beautiful harmonies tonight !!!!

The weather was clear and 85. Sunny.

• Forum MVP

Notes;

The weather was clear and 85. Sunny.

Now that's a the sort of "review" I like. ..captures a feeling ...not necessarly understood by many but expresses the thoughts going thru the mind as the show progresses...

Interesting that Ashville weather was also "clear and 85"...tha's how we felt in Atlanta after the show too., although a thermometer would have had all the mercury huddled just in the bottom bulb.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

For me, this show was the reason I keep going to shows,..... Hoping.... Praying.... That you'll be at one that scratches every itch. This was that one for me. They played to a packed house at the Peel, but folks were mostly kind and chose to stand back when the elbows started flying. My pedometer on my phone says I did 30,700 steps yesterday. Wonder if it knows those were dance steps. Awesome dance party with awesome people.

• Forum MVP

A full twirl 20 ft from the stage could be had - at least during the 1st set.

This show was an oozy, heavy, dripping ripper. A ballad to open and close and the rest was just relentless -,It was ludicrous really. I think Poetry Girl captured the vibe better than I could extol.

The band left it all out there (and then some) and the passion of their expression was palpable and just downright amazing.

Great times with a great bunch of folks - couldn't have asked for a better night save for the -10 below wind-chill and an unexpected walk.

Cheers to DSO and crew for an unforgettable night :). Get Jeff some tea and honey stat.

• Forum MVP

Tea, you full out tilt boogied last night. Has Rude stopped grinning ???

I sure haven't.

All the forum cats... Some really good people made of good stuff. Much love.

Feel like Viola Lee Blues captures my past year. Glad me and my buddy didn't get life! Lol got one solid year.

• Forum MVP

Lots of fun. I hope Jeff's voice recovers. He was obviously going hoarse. I noticed the band watching him sing and laughing at times b/c his voice kept giving out. The soft stuff was pretty tough for him. He could still do the belting stuff. Are we in for a bobby show tonight? Throat coat tea and honey!!!

Didn't even realize that 1st set was just 4 songs. Extended jams with no breaks to rest. The fillers were amazing. Easy wind took wjat remaining wind I had left after a long travel day then that 18 minute viola just knocked the hinges off that place and made my leg muscles scream. Left it on the dance floor. Never saw them blow that song out like they did. They were so playful during it even after 4 hours. Was great to share that show with so many cool people. We had like 10-12 in a group by the end of that second set. Good times indeed.

• Forum MVP

I am so happy I saw this show. The psychedelic long jams were a dream. Probably my favorite concert I have ever, ever seen. I was in pure unadulterated bliss and lightness of being!!

I told Tea Sat night for Raleigh that I'd like to hear Dark star->Slipknot->Stella. He asked that Dark Star Thursday wasn't enough? I replied never enough Dark Star.

I am grateful. Thankful we could go. Thankful this show was played. Thank you for performing this show in Asheville. It felt like hitting the lottery; I was just a lucky winner of circumstance. Thank you all you awesome talented musicians and dedicated crew.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

It must be called the "Scratcher". Apparently, off the Mystery Reels thought to be from summer '68 ( even lost Fillmore East show), in one show scrap, Weir asks the audience before Dark Star, "Whoever stole our scratcher, please give it back....we need our scratcher for our next number." (Apparently some honest soul then returns it.)

• Forum MVP

It must be called the "Scratcher". Apparently, off the Mystery Reels thought to be from summer '68 ( even lost Fillmore East show), in one show scrap, Weir asks the audience before Dark Star, "Whoever stole our scratcher, please give it back....we need our scratcher for our next number." (Apparently some honest soul then returns it.)

Bobby was indeed comic relief.  My apologies for the insensitivty - it's Bob's joke even though I'm telling it :)

What do you call a psychic midget who's just escaped from prison?

A small medium at large

Archived