First Penn's Peak

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

Space could have been better. The police really have it out for penns peak. Sobriety check point on the way in. The dark star > eyes made the harassment all seem worth it. Wow.

It was so wonderful to see so many friends that as the cliche goes have become my family.

• Forum MVP

This was my first Penns Peak and it became a top 5 venue for me 4 hrs before first note was played when I pulled in lot (no checkpoint) and what did I see?

An actual shakedown looking down on me!

16 years and 200+ DSO shows and finally the pre show "recreation". Maybe I need to get out more.

Then came an epic monster 12/6/73....by the time it was over I felt like I had been through one hell of a ride. Besides the hour long and incredible Dark Star -> Eyes, I thought the Greatest Story deserves a shout out. The part where Lisa usually dominates was just hijacked by Jeff as he took to the front of the stage and shredded the jam...through the the night danced hard and often. Even wandered to middle and back and terrace and found the energy to be everywhere.

Yes many friends and "family" here as well and can see why. Glad I rectified the shame on me for not being here sooner.

I experienced none of the horrors of checkpoints and security frisks...perhaps the "old and in the way" look helps lol...caution needed noted for night 2.

One other comment...I cannot complain of any lack of dance space considering my propensity to be near the rail. However, the wood floor and beer created that pulling the tiles off the floor feeling after a college keg party.

• Forum MVP

Roadside about a half mile from venue. Not much of a frisk at venue. The peak is a friendly place. Smoke outside. Do it inside they won't be so friendly. The local police on the other hand are cash cowing preying on innocent people on their way into the venue.

• Forum MVP

I thought dark star was just an extended bathroom and beer break....you know, chance to hit on the girl next to you :-)

Nailed it!! But I thought this is the point where one leaves to beat the traffic?

In the stadium days, this would be the time you would sit in your chair and melt. Allows u to zone better than in a standing position IMO and rest your weary bones for the finish. The last long dark star I got, my body was frozen taking it in. After 25 minutes of standing motionless, my muscles had locked up. Trying to get a groove after the mind blowing was a monstrous task. It's like going into a trance and then BOOM! Get to dancing. Was a tough transition back for me. You are in such a different place during dark star that It can be uncomfortable to leave it.

• Forum MVP

It started a little mellow. The crowd was milling about... Nice Loser with just the right feeling for the moment slowing building. ... During Row Jimmy Jeff started getting a little Wiley coyote and was playing some fun riffs and then! from GSET the band heated up. I thought the first was over and then another. Round and round first set closer is in my book the best way to stretch the night as wow we had another set!!! I had an absolute blast 2nd set. HCS was my absolute favorite followed by the sweet Eyes out of Dark Star. Great transition. Mission accomplished. Some very nice rhythm .... And can't think of a nicer way to finish a fantastic night than Second that Emotion. So thank you for a real good time....

• Forum MVP

Like Poetry Girl, and H Brian my fave song of the night was the super psychedelic HCS. After 30 + years on the road, I guess we don't get it. Thanks for the enlightenment Rick, maybe one day we'll figure it out. Of course the DS > Eyes was a monster, enjoyed it immensely. I just thought that the HCS was easily the best version I've ever heard DSO play.

• Forum MVP

August I hope you can take my comment with the smile and stride as necessary. I've met a lot of heads that live for the 80s. I've even met many that just don't like dark star. I happen to think Dark Star is the quintessential song of the grateful dead. It's probably the highlight everytime I hear it. I won't back off my statement but I've got no doubts about you Stout and I don't think my doubts effect whether someone gets it or not.

If you said El paso was your highlight, who am I to say it wasn't for you. I meet young head in a vaccum and he's thrilled with El paso but thought DS sucked. I probably don't talk to him much more. I have my doubts. My doubts aren't your reality. Sorry if I offended everyone.

Dark Star was my highlight. Before I embraced Dark Star and the intricacies of pure pyscehelic expression I didn't get it.

Here comes sunshine was strong for me. I have it 2nd or 3rd or my favorite tune of the night. That dark star was just a monster. I hear a 40 DS. It's the highlight almost regardless of where it goes when played by musicians of this caliber.

Ok HCS was the absolute highlight of the show for many that have actually seen the GD! Not to put anyone down but after a couple hundred GD shows and even more DSO shows you may get what some of us older heads are talking about.....  If you ask what is your favorite meal some may say lobster, some will say veal, some will say sushi, some porterhouse steak and others may say tofu leave and beans.....

HCS brought me to the most psychedelic place I have been in a long time and that is without psychedelics.... much more psychedelic than any 500-1000 mic Dark Star I've ever experienced... Both nights at the peak was spectacular especially last night!!! so many good friends and good strangers too.

• Forum MVP

Love you too brother. Talked w several people who saw 100s of dead shows that said ds was their highligh. I spoke for myself. You're speaking for all that saw the dead? I have doubts. For those that saw the dead. You only speak 4 one of those that saw the dead. Eyes is many people favorite song. I'm sure highlight of show 4 them. I guess they didn't "see" the dead.

• Forum MVP

My comment was in addition to MCs. "The dark star > eyes made the harassment all seem worth it. Wow."

IMHO,Dark Star crackled and built and wandered and veered and then cracked open into Eyes. Absolutely a wonderful journey. The set was beautifully put together. HCS just made my heart float and took up the the transformative place Dark Star went and beamed out into Eyes with its sunshiny place that believes in the goodness and light filled moment you choose to live. It was beautifully crafted and wonderfully made all roiled into one, melting into a dream. It is one thing to accept reality and the next step is to create the beauty of the next moment. I am a good student of Hegel and just absolutely fucking love Kierkegaard.

I must underscore how much I love the bouncy TLEO. I can see the bouncy Jerry in my mind ☺️

Thank you  Mason I have edited my comment from

" Ok HCS was the absolute highlight of the show for those that have actually seen the GD!"   

to-

"Ok HCS was the absolute highlight of the show for many that have actually seen the GD! "

I take complete ownership of my self righteous comment!

I know people that saw hundreds of GD shows, sad thing is they saw most of them from the parking lot.... 

My opinion is that the once elusive DS was very overrated.

Luv ya buddy and hopefully we will be cutting the rugs soon!

I took the opportunity to "watch" eotw and was mesmerized by the complexity of what was happening on stage. MAGICAL but still second to HCS.    SORRY!!!  I meant in my opinion it was second to HCS-  Now with semantics I have a clear conscience don't need to apologize to anyone I may have offended    :rofl:

• Forum MVP

My comment was in addition to MCs. "The dark star > eyes made the harassment all seem worth it. Wow."

IMHO,Dark Star crackled and built and wandered and veered and then cracked open into Eyes. Absolutely a wonderful journey. The set was beautifully put together. HCS just made my heart float and took up the the transformative place Dark Star went and beamed out into Eyes with its sunshiny place that believes in the goodness and light filled moment you choose to live. It was beautifully crafted and wonderfully made all roiled into one, melting into a dream. It is one thing to accept reality and the next step is to create the beauty of the next moment. I am a good student of Hegel and just absolutely fucking love Kierkegaard.

I must underscore how much I love the bouncy TLEO. I can see the bouncy Jerry in my mind ☺

PoetryGirl, your handle on the boards is apt....."Poetry Girl".

Your written expression is always a pleasure for me to read.

I hope to meet you some day......perhaps at the Jubilee......

• Forum MVP

Why, you are most kind, sir. See you at the jubillee ! I will be one of the dancing folk. lol I am sure I will run into you.

As we say down south, glad you are picking up what I am putting down.

I thought I would amend by saying I had two extra tx that I gave to a fellow and his friend who could only afford to go one night. He told me that he would be a tall guy with a tie dye on. I thought that narrows it down . Lmao. He found me

Sorry Mason/everyone about my cynicism here. When you asked August and myself what we thought was highlight after the show we told you and a harsh morning felt harsher after reading your post. No worries, I am cranky and tired (maybe 1 hour of actual sleep) then having to leave at 7am so my mechanic can work on my car this morning and I am still waiting for him to show up at 3pm -WTF.  

PG, I couldn't get to the beauty of the next moment today while having little acceptance of the reality of the morning. Seems like just yesterday we were talking about this :) Hope to see you soon! 

Archived