Higher Ground #1

Tea

• Forum MVP

Elective

Set One: Might As Well ; Me And My Uncle ; Brown Eyed Women ; It's All Over Now ; *Jack-A-Row ; Beat It On Down The Line ; **Money Honey ; Cassidy ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo > The Music Never Stopped

Set Two: Uncle John's Band > The Other One (v1) > Saint Stephen > He's Gone > drums > space > The Other One (v2) > The Wheel > China Doll > Going Down The Road Feeling Bad

Encore: Tore Up

*played '77 style/tempo

** Debut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

The slow breakout of more JGB. Which leads back to the much anticipated Low Spark. Of course, The Eleven did take quite a while too. Someone did say something about all good things...

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

They might hear you

• Forum MVP

apparently a Mojo in there too...notice how this elective was not "80s heavy" ..not a single tune ..electives can and always will be whatever they want to play.. dont like seeing setlists complaints on here 

this and the last one are two beautiful looking original setlists if you ask me

Uncle John>
Other One>

St. Stephen> 

He's Gone>

Mojo>

Drumz>

Other One>

The Wheel>

China Doll>
GDTRFB

e: Tore Up

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,12577/Dark-Star-Orchestra-mp3-flac-download-5-11-2015-Higher-Ground-Burlington-VT.html

• Forum MVP

Can't get more classy than that! Such a rocking first set, a dreamy second set.

Songs like "Tore Up" are the reason I have a soft spot in the metatarsal regions of my boots and they will have to be resoled. Not a better bluesy swing dance around.

"Tore Up" ..... So flat out bereft without a clue of which way is up. Heartbroken because the honest and genuine space you thought you shared with someone..... whatever it was becoming, held or could be and precious in the shared heart spaces is gone because one wasn't entirely truthful for their own gain or perhaps truthful with themselves .......and the situation is done and over. This kind of trauma wrapped in a song as happy and kicking as any is the way to get over heartbreak. I am reading a book about healing trauma called "Waking the Tiger" because many I serve and heal are victims of trauma so end up treating more than just a problem. More the whole package...... which is why it is so fulfilling. What shamans do and know and is also captured in the Hawaiian hoponopono concept is that when one member is hurt we all need to help detrauma tize. PTSD and panic attacks are the result of uncleared emotions but can be released later and have healing. Ecstatic dance is a voyage and window to let these little traumas escape. Perhaps even just clean the windows to the soul. While the subject of Tore Up may not be comprehensible to some who haven't had such profound heartache that you take solace in not having half of what you thought you had and Lordy Lou, you probably escaped just like you ought to, this song is the perfect way to move on up and out. because even though your head and soul says you are better for it, your heart needs to let go too.

• Forum MVP

I like the hybrid JGB/GD elective approach.  Not to go all dream setlist, but something like:

Let's Spend the Night together > Sugaree, Simple Twist, BT Wind, Loser, Desolation Row, Lucky 'Ole Sun > Tangled

Shakedown > Cats down, Playin > Lonesome and a Long Way > Let It Grow > D/S > Let It Grow > Visions > Playin > Terrapin

E:  Don't Let Go > Palm Sunday

*** This is not a request ***  :) but merely a representation of a good cross-section.

• Forum MVP

I like the hybrid JGB/GD elective approach. Not to go all dream setlist, but something like:

Let's Spend the Night together > Sugaree, Simple Twist, BT Wind, Loser, Desolation Row, Lucky 'Ole Sun > Tangled

Shakedown > Cats down, Playin > Lonesome and a Long Way > Let It Grow > D/S > Let It Grow > Visions > Playin > Terrapin

E: Don't Let Go > Palm Sunday

*** This is not a request *** :) but merely a representation of a good cross-section.

Thanks for looking out for me on the desolation and don't let go. I bet with owsley county and JGB we will get the latter at jubilee but the chances are slim for DSO. But I heard, and note it's just a rumor, that someone has been studying hard to get desolation down. Who started the rumor. I'm not allowed to say but I can say with certainty that I am not necessarily the rumors founder.

• Forum MVP

Have you taken complete leave of your senses? Where are the Harder They Come and Limbo? I readily acknowledge the pride of place you gave Tangled, and the Des Row is sine qua non, but without the two you omitted, what's the point?

Jubilee minus 9 and counting...

• Forum MVP

Jerry Garcia Band

PURE JERRY: MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILION, SEPTEMBER 1 & 2, 1989

MC Might I recommend this one. Greatest musical journey of my life.

(Followed by Alpine shows all of them1989, Warlock shows 89, Asheville 2/19/15)

• Forum MVP

Be nice if Peter Rowan kicked in a Mississippi Moon as he's the one who started it back in Sea Train. Not listening to JGB? Where else are you gonna find a Tears of Rage, Senoir, or Throw Out The Lifeline? (you could go to Dylan; however, those were magical places for Jerry and John) There hasn't been a player like the mighty Kahn, which is a reason to keep JGB close at hand!

• Forum MVP

I've listened to that Pure Jerry release.  Its just been a long time.  Some songs I would love to hear DSO perform include Senor (Tales of Yankee power), Twilight Song (Robbie Robertson tune), Roadrunner, Boogie on Reggae Women.  I'm sure I could name a few more if pressed.  I love DSO Tangled.  I don't care much for Simple Twist all the time.  I'm not huge on Lucky Old Sun.  I found Tea's first set to have several misses for me and even on the hits, I feel it would come off slow.  It wouldn't give me the energy release I was looking for.  I think the 2nd set looks a lot better.  Shakedown > Cats would be fun.  Obviously, these are just opinions and I'm going to dance no matter what.

I got no issue with someone complaining about a set list.  I've seen a quite a few DSO shows were the set list disappointed me.  I hope you wouldn't hang me for for voicing this here.  I just encourage those when they are disappointed to get their ego out of the way.  I do not believe what Rude said that DSO always plays what you need to hear whether you know it or not.  I do believe that every time you see DSO is a chance for you to reach into the ethos, to experience the beyond.  Regardless of the setlist, if you remove your preconceive notions and open up to the song, dance, and the energy around you.  I promise you DSO will take you to a special place.  Analyze the set list after the dance is over.  

I would say I haven't listened to a full JGB show in over 6 months.  I had a feeling some of the faithful might be taken aback by that comment.  I just prefer the Grateful Dead and mostly spend my time listening to that.  JGB seems to come and go in my life.  GD are a constant.  I'm sure I will get back on that kick again.  I just can't say when.

• Forum MVP

I got no issue with someone complaining about a set list.  I've seen a quite a few DSO shows were the set list disappointed me.  I hope you wouldn't hang me for for voicing this here.  I just encourage those when they are disappointed to get their ego out of the way.  I do not believe what Rude said that DSO always plays what you need to hear whether you know it or not.  I do believe that every time you see DSO is a chance for you to reach into the ethos, to experience the beyond.  Regardless of the setlist, if you remove your preconceive notions and open up to the song, dance, and the energy around you.  I promise you DSO will take you to a special place.  Analyze the set list after the dance is over.  

not talkin bout you bro, i hope and have come to expect you to voice how u truly feel about your show experiences, and respect your feelings and opinions in the utmost.. talkin bout the ppl like yetivanmarshall...someone who creates an account on here just to voice how the one show they saw in the past year was not the setlist he/she wanted to experience ..i find that just pointless really...old saying goes if u dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all .. but some ppl like to stir the pot with negativity, rain on ppl's parades, etc

100% totally agree with you about about each time seeing DSO as a new opportunity to reach in the ethos as well as removing preconceived notions/ opening up

• Forum MVP

YetivanMarshall came out the gate real negative. He didn't really come off to me as someone who I need to meet or that I really care much for their opinion but I want everyone new and old to feel free to voice their opinions both negatively and positively. I come off as an elitist but if he didn't hear anything that night that moved him, I'm not sure why he would be going to shows.

• Forum MVP

Touch in the 2nd set is a tough swallow. Not a great jam vehicle and so they end up being tough to distinguish from each other. I understand letting go of expectations and listening instead of judging, but that's a lip-biter of sorts. Believe me when I tell you that I try to squeeze everything out of what I get, whether I wanted it or not.

Archived