Higher Ground #1

Tea

• Forum MVP

and Touch was their only top10 hit...hmm...

always thought JK owned Touch...he put it anywhere in a setlist, from opener to encore to 2nd set closer to filler.. i found that rather enjoyable/refreshing

i remember seeing "The Dead" in summer '04 and the 2nd set ended with Touch and i will never forget the crowd reaction, by far the loudest, most energetic response to any song that night..

wasnt much to get excited about lol 

Sugar Magnolia> The Weight, Into The Mystic, You Remind Me> Keep On Growing> Dupree's> Alabama Getaway> Aiko

Bucket> Big Boss Man, Desperado, Tons of Steel> William Tell Bridge> The Eleven> St. Stephen Jam> Drumz> Banyan Tree> Mason's Children> Sunshine Daydream> Touch of Grey

e: Attics

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Okay.  Biggest reaction during Touch is sad to me.  A lot of people that don't get it.  Some of those same people cheering during Touch are the one's that went outside or even left the show at the Peak during DSOs epic Dark Star.  Cheer for Touch, leave for Dark Star.  I don't think you get it.  The Eleven is the highlight of that setlist having not listened to the show. Mason's 2nd.

• Forum MVP

One of the funniest lines I heard from Bobby on stage was during the first few bars of Touch as they opened the 2nd set Spring '88 in Hartford.  He said, "and now, our top 10 hit, A Touch Of Grey!"

always thought JK owned Touch...he put it anywhere in a setlist, from opener to encore to 2nd set closer to filler.. i found that rather enjoyable/refreshing

Absolutely.  My 1st DSO show was an elective.  They closed the 1st set with Weather Report Prelude->Touch.  Rather than reacting "what the fuck, no Let It Grow?" I was floored by the quick authoritative transition and my eyes were opened to what was possible with this band.

• Forum MVP

You can throw Liberty in there also. I could be totally wrong but I can't recall them doing that once since he left. Speaking of songs that have been out of rotation for awhile, I would like to see them bring back Corrina.  ;)    

• Forum MVP

Touch needs the Infrared Roses treatment. That truly would be the only album you need. Ever.

OMG. I bought that CD years ago. It's like the part of a show where u run to the bathroom but a whole cd of it.

• Forum MVP

I don't think they've done any recreations post 1992, right? One of them was played in Wilmigton, NC last summer I think.

Edit: since Jeff joined

• Forum MVP

There is no such thing as too much Sisters and Brothers, any more than it is possible to overplay Tangled. Literally and metaphysically impossible. I state that as an irrefutable categorical fact, like the Laws of Thermodynamics only different.

As a custie in good standing I second the motion on Corrina. We could do worse. I bolster this contention by agreeing that JK did own Touch. To prove that, there is a YouTube from Bears Picnic that has myself and several other passersby happily Touching out. I am not ashamed of what I am.

Not sure about Liberty. Seems like I may have heard it in the fairly recent past, but that could have been at Cubensis or Furthur. It all sounds alike, really.

The post-92 question is a good one. Helpslip, helpslip... Torpedia...?

• Forum MVP

Honestly, I know nothing of what the Dead did past 1992. I cringe a little at the thought. My last show was in the fall. I did hear Corrina on Sirius and was mesmerized and found stunning. Liberty.... enh...I would like to hear Days Between bc of Hunter's comments of Jerry's happiness in composing it and the lyrics are fascinating. I like the happy Grateful Dead shows. I don't think the boys were exceedingly happy after Brent's passing. My friend Zephyr on that day was destroyed as his favorite Brent tape which our buddy's dog ate and decorated the yard with his passing, superstitiously enough.

I might dim in your estimation a little but the music hurt too much at the time to hear because of personal loss. It took years...........................................................................

And I can breath in and out the Grateful Dead like a mermaid breathes water.

I vote for a good Maggie's Farm and That's Alright Mama. Superstition even? haHA!

That's Alright Mama would be the Earl Grey infused Meyer lemon tartlet.

Up... I backed up the truck a couple of decades.

• Forum MVP

So wish i could be at jubilee Matt..sadly cannot this year..

Greg, youre right, no Liberty's or Corinna's since JK left..

and according to DSO starbase they have recreated a 1993 show 41 times, a 1994 show 18 times, and a 1995 show only 3 times (last one being 6.8.09 HigherGround doing 6.4.95 Shoreline)

• Forum MVP

no problem, my pleasure !... that one was Cal Expo '92, http://dsoforums.net/starbase/dso_shows.php?operation=view&pk0=3659

Bix and I have some sacred memories of that show. Sadly, Scott  lost his Mom recently. He's the first person I met through these boards, and he has become a great friend to us all. When you hurt Scott, we all do. You were so missed at the Peak, I can't remember him EVER missing a show there. Keep The Faith buddy. You are loved!

• Forum MVP

Greg, what you said about Scott rings true...I met him at Scottie's memorial show at the Kinetic Playground. One of those friends I've been blessed with here that mean more than words can tell. I thank you.

• Forum MVP

One of the funniest lines I heard from Bobby on stage was during the first few bars of Touch as they opened the 2nd set Spring '88 in Hartford.  He said, "and now, our top 10 hit, A Touch Of Grey!"

this is funny..wanted to hear for myself https://archive.org/details/gd1988-04-04.sbd.miller.91162.sbeok.flac16

click on "truckin" that is actually the "touch" .." and now from our album, A Touch of Grey - the hit single! " 

jerr sounds a little under the weather to say the least

Some venues I will hear someone say "I hope the play that good song " I think they are talking about touch, truckin, sugarcane mag, Casey Jones. in my book they are all pop dead tunes but still enjoy them. the dead did great transitions on a couple scarlet ~touch ~fire!

love Bixby!!!

typo sugaree

my phone has a mind of its own

typo typo SUGAR MAG :

Archived