Cleveland

Tom Banjo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What up brother! I was hoping for 80's because as fate may have it I've seen several 60's shows recently and barely any 80's.

But when they go off like they did the other night it doesn't really matter. From now on I'm just gonna hope to catch a barn burner and be grateful when I do!

The box was nice! A cool vantage point to see the band. I almost felt unnaturally close though.

I felt first set was nearly strong as second!

One of the potential dissapointed told me he really enjoyed what the boys cooked up in cleveland. He was made a definitely a believer by the time the show was over.

I knew it was on by the end of Hard to Handle!

yes ... man's world after sitting on top

for the people who braved the cold rain and snow... and wind .. we got a rare treat last night for sure !!

many of my friends decided not to attend ... a poor decision

Man's World is a tune I've never been super into but it's really grown on me after NYE and HOB. Barocco really shines on that!

• Forum MVP

jj ... good to see ya on the boards ..

thanks for the balcony hookup ..other than the monster sized dude who stood in front of me and a few random talkers in the corner it was the bomb !!

And when you start to see more and more shows you start to wish for the rarities.

We need to do some local music here in Cleveland. .. I got some good shows coming up in April on my radar

Does the hoodie I gave you fit ??

Hoodie fits. Thanks a lot! Glad you guys had fun in the box... we'll likely get it again next year.

I'm pretty sure Tuesday was my 22nd show... I'm on pace to hit more this year than any. Speaking of rarities how about that Friend of Mine? Nice soothing tune. Makes me want to go dig out the old studio albums

Get my number and Hit me up

Not at all!

One reason I love seeing the 60's shows is because I don't feel the Dead recordings from that era do the performances justice at all. There's so much raw power in those old shows they must be experienced live to truly appreciate them.

One of the things that is a downer for me when it comes 60's shows though is that there's few surprises in the set list. You pretty much know what you're gonna get.

Again I'm done hoping for eras... I never get them anyway. And even if I did there's no guarantees on how much the boys will be feeling it. I'd rather see a barn burner from some other era than a mediocre show from the era I want to hear.

• Forum MVP

I think there are lots of surprises. Mountains, duprees, rag, he was a friend, sing me back home, alligator, Viola and so many more gems you don't get much if at all after 69. U will likely get a cryptical suite but for guaranteed songs that's about it. U jump to Europe 72 and you will get very similar set lists every show. Plus with an elective 69 the song options go wayyyyy up.

Absolutely there are priceless gems. The Dead did what I consider to be their most exploratory jamming during those early years.

However I wouldn't consider any of those songs to be a "surprise" on a '69 show except Friend of Mine which was a surprise to hear in Cleveland.

I will assume you're accurate in stating that the set lists during Europe '72 were just as predictable, but that doesn't change how predictable the set lists were in '69.

I've always felt that the Dead did a lot more with much less material in the '60's than they did once their catalog of tunes grew.

My 1st show was the last Grateful Fest they played at Nelson's. They did that 60's show on Friday but I'm pretty damn certain it couldn't compare to the Jubilee, NYE, and HOB. They're getting really good at it and I expect to see more rarities.

I like that Jeff is the only DSO lead guitarist I've known. I've checked out some of the stuff with JK on YouTube. I'm probably biased, but I don't think it was anywhere near as good as what I've seen them perform with Jeff. Admittedly my sampling size is small but it seemed obvious to me that they're a more cohesive band now.

• Forum MVP

If you are interested in the beatnik movement in which the Grateful Dead found kinship and where the environment in which "Morning Dew" was inspired to be written, try reading Ferlinghetti's " Tentative Description of a Dinner Given to Promote the Impeachment of President Eisenhower" and Ginsberg's "Death to Van Gogh's Ear!"

• Forum MVP

On the other hand, I think instrumentaly 69 shows or at least early pigpen shows have the highest propensity for surprises. 77 can be pretty straight forward in the jams and progressions. I'm not saying it's not improvisational jamming rock n roll. It very much is but it's not as inventive out there or spontaneous as the early material. Not to mention as raunchy and dirty.

• Forum MVP

I love 69. Sometimes, in the moment, it feels like it's the best. I listen to it the least, though, and I prefer it that way. Save it for the right moments. Perhaps for some, like Mason, those right moments occur more often ;-)

• Forum MVP

I wouldn't disagree with you. I probably still spend most of my time listening to 76 through 78. I go to the early stuff more than others I would say. I also listen to a lot of 80s because I have less familiarly and I like to listen to new shows. I do really enjoy putting on old school dead late night after the show. I really should do more jerry band in general. My knowledge is not nearly as deep.

Archived