A band I saw last night

Rude

• Forum MVP

We caught the first set of Shakedown st with Stu Allen tonight. Quality music although Stu played respectful with their Jerry guy and I feel could've stood out more if he chose. The crowd kind of sucked. Lots of standing and talking. At one point, we found a decent spot behind the soundboard but of course that's in the vicinity of the ping pong table. After one song, two people decided it was time to play ping pong. We had to move. Sometimes the Denver dead scene disappoints me but of course I'm that overly critical dead fan that wants the crowd to be quiet and dancing while the band plays. At the very least, quiet and listening to the show. You know, engaged in the music. It's often more of a social hour at so many roads. Of course, we will be back. They get some good dead acts to come through. JGB pretty frequently. I had two strong thoughts after. I want a bob weir stfu shirt and I miss the old DSO days when I first got into this music when at least it seemed to me more people went to these shows to listen then to be seen and be heard. I love my DSO family. They bring the heat and taught me to respect the music. I doubt we resurrect the rugs but the rug people brought it every night at the jubilee. We had some epic dance parties. It was special to be apart of it. Can't wait for May. We catching the Caverns and Memphis plus Jubilee. It's going to be a great month of music. Thank you so much DSO for enriching my life and bringing me that ultimate joy. So much love for this band and this community. I miss you guys and love you. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 4/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, Rude said:

They have an interesting take on Just like heaven by the cure. 

My best buddy was big into alternative in the 80’s but I couldn’t really get bands like Sonic youth. I dug Depeche Mode and the cure and others but I need a melody. Without a good melody I can’t really get a band. It’s why I despise Radiohead. You play your weird math rock but most of your songs lack a basic melody. I’ve tried to get them but I can’t. Friends are like they are brilliant so I kept trying to listen. Nope. Don’t get it. They had a few songs like creep, but that’s an outlier that almost sounds like a song their label bought for them. Then you see Rolling Stone call OK Computer a top 20 album all time and I tried again. Nope. Don’t get it. 

I’ve heard 1968 Grateful Dead jams that reminded me of Sonic Youth, and vice versa

• Forum MVP

Saw Elton John at the YUM yesterday. Luke bought those tix when he was 16 and he’ll be 20 in Sept. it was  postponed twice, he finally got his show. He played a straight 2:40 set no break. I was dying for set break by like 9:15but realized by quarter of ten that he was just gonna power through. He said his farewell tour is over 200 shows in, but he still has over 120 left. That’s a helluva long tour. Lol

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Went to Boulder tonight to see Grateful Shred. The gets a little too synthesizer for me but put on a damn good show. The first set was a little short and the crowd although attentive seemed extremely stiff. Almost like we were the only ones dancing, definitely the only ones dancing in 360 degree manner. We eventually saw one other dancer. 

The crowd really came around 2nd set. By the shakedown encore it was a full on boogie down.

Not 100 percent but I think we will go see them in Denver tomorrow night.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Went to see JRaD in Newport KY last night. Was a good time. A few times they would play a long intro jam before dropping into this or that song and I really enjoyed those. Was my first time seeing them live. I like that little venue. Was the same one DSO played a month ago

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2022 at 10:27 PM, Dead duck said:

Went to see JRaD in Newport KY last night. Was a good time. A few times they would play a long intro jam before dropping into this or that song and I really enjoyed those. Was my first time seeing them live. I like that little venue. Was the same one DSO played a month ago

I really hated to miss this. How was attendance?

6 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Cool split on the scarlet fire , how'd that go?

Jrad pulled it off.  Like a prior poster stated, they often have wandering extended intros and then drop into a song.  Such was the case w scarlet.

Russo sounds like 2 drummers, they are all incredible musicians.  There were several teases throughout both nights.  How about Help>Slip>Elizabeth Reed>slip.

The reinterpretation of songs that are so imprinted in my soul is captivating.

Goose played at salvage station Friday night.  The jrad crowd was great fri, but there were alot more people at the sat jrad show.

Here's a link to the 2nd night:

https://archive.org/details/jrad2022-04-30.m20.flac24/jrad2022-04-30s1t04.flac

Edited by Direwolf919
  • Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Looks like they’ve been adding more Allmans which is always a good thing. Saw them do a 10 minute insane Melissa in St. Louis. Assumed it was just a jam that would go into dead but played it big into a hard stop. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dead duck said:

It was pretty packed compared to a month earlier when we were there. Don’t think it was sold out tho

If we were there, why didn’t we cross paths and say hello? Let’s do this at the jubilee. Even if under the cover of darkness of the night 

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP

22/05/06  InDeadNation   The Recher,  Towson, MD

Truckin', Sugaree, Ramble On Rose, Loser, Stagger Lee,

Memphis Blues, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali Blues,

Loose Lucy.

West LA Fadeaway, Jack Straw, Foolish Heart, Scarlet

Begonias>Fire on the Mountain, Box of Rain, Ripple,

Casey Jones, We Bid You Goodnight.

A Friday rainy slough through rush hour traffic well

worth the sacrifice for a couple sets from my favorite

local Dead band.  I had the dance floor to myself

for long stretches and took full advantage.  Jack

Straw, Scarlet>Fire personal highlights.  Venue's a

bar that transforms to college bar at 10:00 when

we finish up, interesting transition.  I had three 

lovely coeds with me for the Casey Jones.  Ah

to be young.  I tacked on the second set from

87/03/26 in the basement when I got home to

cap the evening.  See everyone in Strousburg.

Happy Mother's Day.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

22/05/13  InDead Nation,  The Still, Timonium, MD

Shakedown Street, They Love Each Other, All Over

Now, Candyman, Althea, Catfish John, Cumberland

Blues, Mama Tried, Big Railroad Blues.

China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Crazy Fingers>

Uncle John's Band>Other One>Terrapin Station>Not

Fade Away, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Sugar Magnolia.

Hard To Handle, Mojo Working, Peggy-O, Deep Elem

Blues, Touch of Grey, The Weight.

The departing Dave Jacobson delivers a truly inspired

performance on a murky Friday evening in Timonium.

Extra chunky versions abound throughout.  The Althea/

Catfish/Cumberland especially special, Big RR a band

favorite and a raucous set close.  

Second set full of high quality standards, China>Rider

a romp, full boar Other One, Sugar Mags brought down

the house.

First two of the third with guest on harp, super jam in

the HTH.  Deep Elem my personal highlight, Closing

duo heavenly.  So much fun.  Thanks Band.  

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

Scarlet Fire, The Redmoor, Cinti, OH

Promised Land>Bertha>Funky Bitch, You Win Again, Big RR, Masterpiece, Loser, Ain't Wasting Time No More, Atlantic City, West LA, Peggy O, Run For The Roses, Blue Sky. (8:10-9:30)

After Midnight>Eleanor>After Midnight,  Black Throated Wind, Althea, Minglewood, Melissa, Tangled Up In Blue, MAMU>River, Scarlet Fire, NFA>GDTRFB>NFA (10-11:30)

Beautiful venue, spacious with levels, plenty of options for where you wanted to dance,  exceptional chef and kind, attentive servers. The house PA is too small to do the music justice.  We got in at 6:45 for dinner and they soundchecked Mama Tried and the after midnight sandy. Good overall delivery. Like Anna said, it was mellow for a dinner show. I like a hard and gritty growl like Jerry sang.. I'd see them again in town, not driving to Lexington or Indy tho

Talked with them afterwards and they were genuine and conscientiousness. They come out of Indy, not Columbus.

• Like (+1) 2

5/14/22 Melted Minds, Raleigh NC

Set 1

Dire Wolf

Chevrolet Van

The Weight

Something like Olivia

Jam 1

Jam 2

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Set 2

Bertha

Good loving

All along the watchtower 

Up on Cripple Creek

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Werewolves of London

Big RR blues

Brown eyed women

Encore

Shakedown St.

Free show sat 5/21 @ Bowstring on Wake Forest Rd in Raleigh

On 5/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, Direwolf919 said:

5/14/22 Melted Minds, Raleigh NC

Set 1

Dire Wolf

Chevrolet Van

The Weight

Something like Olivia

Jam 1

Jam 2

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Set 2

Bertha

Good loving

All along the watchtower 

Up on Cripple Creek

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Werewolves of London

Big RR blues

Brown eyed women

Encore

Shakedown St.

Free show sat 5/21 @ Bowstring on Wake Forest Rd in Raleigh

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Good Times Bad Times to close the second set on Sat and While My Guitar Gently Weeps to open the show on Sunday. Wish we had seen you. We were under an easy up all three days, two rows over from Shakedown. These were, hands down, the best I have seen Phish. They came at it with a vengeance, sheer rock and roll. Did you see the tornadoes that hit shakedown on Saturday?