A band I saw last night

Rude

• Forum MVP
On 3/7/2023 at 9:35 PM, PoetryGirl said:

I caught Brown Eyed Women at the Salvage Station in Asheville. They rocked it out. Seriously great band. Jill Phone Simmons has a fantastic voice! And how many drummers do you hear sing? This band has one. Go see them and you will thank yourself. If I didn't have such a demanding job, I'd be up in the mountains tonight to see Mikaela Davis. 

I saw them in Raleigh at a pretty small place (Pour House ~250) and it was a real good time!  Jill stole the show for me - she's seems like a very humble and positive person - she made time for everyone that wanted to chat het up.  I think they'll be at Skull & Roses so if you're lucky enough to be going  - definitely worth your time ❤️ 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Tea said:

I saw them in Raleigh at a pretty small place (Pour House ~250) and it was a real good time!  Jill stole the show for me - she's seems like a very humble and positive person - she made time for everyone that wanted to char het up.  I think they'll be at Skull & Roses so if you're lucky enough to be going  - definitely worth your time ❤️ 

There was a point where I wanted to name our little man Levon (lead singer drummer)as I really love that name as well as Levon Helm’s voice and drumming, but figured 95% of the people would think we named him after an Elton John song so didn’t want that. Meili was telling people we were going to name him Lettuce for a few weeks. 

• Forum MVP

Benefit show at RL for the Freestore Food bank in Cincy. I Dig Pig opened followed by Fairbanks then two sets of Pushing Up Daisies. Nothing spectacular except I learned that the owner has a clause with the bands that if they play Shakedown Street they lose their pay. The last time Hyryder played there they did a Shakedown and that was their donation to the benefit put on by local promoter Zinger. Very average musicianship and predictable setlists. I took off at 8:30, started at 6 and I had made the rounds to see my people and meet two new friends. It was their first time at RL and of course they were blown away by the venue and plan to come back for the Hyryder April 14th show. A lot of folks are not going to the upcoming three Billy Strings shows next week due to the terrible James Bradley venue. Apparently the Goose nye shows put them on ice after the nights were over. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Saw Hyryder at the bluebird in Bloomington, IN last night. Really cute music club that is only open during shows so seeing this wasn’t some bar show but an actual venue, we made the short drive. Hyryder never disappoints. The only issue is they aren’t doing full 4 hour start to finish anymore. They are doing like 3:45. My greed is off the charts. DSO used to start almost every show at the second of showtime. Even saw them start one 2 minutes early. Id tell people the show will start in 10 minutes b/c it was 7:50. They were like no band does that. I’m like trust me. Of course deadheads are the greediest fans ever. We want 5 hours not just 4 and god forbid dso does a 8:15 to 11:50 show. Hey guys there’s time for 1 more!!! But as I age, 3:30 start to finish is sufficient…….sometimes.

• Forum MVP

Here in PHX The Noodles play every Sunday.  They’re really good, and a lot of fun.

Next week they will celebrate 26 years of playing.  They used to be at Full Sail Inn, now they play at Cactus Jack’s.

Check em out if you’re in AZ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Here in PHX The Noodles play every Sunday.  They’re really good, and a lot of fun.

Next week they will celebrate 26 years of playing.  They used to be at Full Sail Inn, now they play at Cactus Jack’s.

Check em out if you’re in AZ.

Local Dead good for the soul.

Several in my area to choose from.

Have met many fine peeps.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, Direwolf919 said:

https://www.satellitedogband.com/

https://youtube.com/@satellitedog

I posted about this band a few times last year.  They are all 18/19, practicing a lot & playing anywhere they can get booked.  They are based out of North Carolina. 

They started out playing dead covers & reinterpretation as well as The Band, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Phish, Goose, etc.  Theyve stared writing their own music, some live clips posted on their website & YouTube.

Check them out! Subscribe to their YouTube if you like what you hear!

https://www.satellitedogband.com/

https://youtube.com/@satellitedog

Free show this Friday at Bowstring Pizza on wake forest rd in Raleigh.

Outside big venue, good beer, 86 degrees, 3 hours of great music.

Check out their YouTube videos.  Playing some original tunes & great GD combos - help>slip>breathe>Franklin's; Loser>death don't have no mercy>loser

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

We try to hit Smalls when in NYC b/c you can stay all night vs many where you buy tix for an hour or so and then get shuffled out. Covid really killed jazz clubs. The green mill in Chicago was always our go to post dso/deadco/JRAD but now the music stops at midnight vs 4am pre covid. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Luke and I went up to Newport to see “end of the line” Allman Bros tribute. Out of Nashville, I’ll definitely catch them again. They are at Z bar in Louisville Saturday but I’m outa town. So we looked to see if we could catch them nearby somewhere else and they played Newport last night. 

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

I feel lucky that Lexington KY has a good     music scene for a town this small. Caught Brandon Bowlds & Friends last night and it was wonderful music.

Brandon Bowlds, Guitar

Dino English, drums

Rob Barnes, Bass

Brad Slutskin, Keys

~I~
Cantaloupe Island
Yamar
Floating Worlds
Pretzel Logic
Time To Move On
Wash and Fold
Done Being Sad
Horn
Contusion
Tin Can Trust

~II~
Peaches En Regalia 🍑 >
Freeway Jam
Peg
Spanish Castle Magic
You Never Give Me Your Money>
I’ve Got A Feeling
Race To Vengal
Harder They Come 
The Squirming Coil

• Like (+1) 2

Saw Stella Blues Band open for Melvin Seals and JGB over the weekend at the Cap. First time seeing SBB they usually play Garcia’s stage but they played the main room and were definitely worth getting there early to see, and of course Melvin and JK always put on a excellent show. Melvin is just so damn happy it’s awesome to see. But that Mystery train and morning dew….insanity.

• Like (+1) 4

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Dead duck said:

I was at the trap last night for Hyryder. Was a last minute decision. But I got myself in the stream mid first set as an Easter egg for any of you who go to watch it. 🤣🤣

I’m sure tea saw you. He doesn’t miss a stream. I think we may do Lazy summer home late august and camp. Indy should be a bit cooler by then. No way you’d want to camp in my area end of august. Likely still in the 90s

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Rude said:

I’m sure tea saw you. He doesn’t miss a stream. 

You rang ?  Good shows!  2nd set night 1  gets the chefs kiss 💋 

Sugar Magnolia> The Wheel> Caution> Bird Song, Promontory Rider, Dark Star> Victim or the Crime> Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Mountains of the Moon> Around and Around> Sunshine Daydream 

E. Black Muddy River

• Forum MVP

I knew that Dark Star was coming out at homebase  after the Rockford show which I met my home town friend on his way back from Montana. Every show since coming back from Ventura has been really good. The shows leading up to S & R put a lot of pressure on the band. At RL Blair said it got real when plane tickets were in hand.

❤️

"What makes you ryde so high to put a loving star back in an empty sky"

"You don't change those chilly winds for any other place"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I went to see Goose to see what the kids have been talking about. Avoided really listening to them before seeing them. Nice jams. Catchy tunes. Great lights. Pricey merch. But the Palace was hot af inside. Was wishing I was outdoors in a field somewhere watching instead of balcony. Lol

going again tonight tho

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Got to see Panic at redrocks for 3 shows June 23-25th. Flight was delayed 6 hours which created a ton of stress and we got to the show 20 mins in which was so lucky. Unfortunately what we didn’t know is if you don’t get there way before doors which is 2:30 before the show, you can’t get in the seating part. Everyone puts down blankets and you are screwed. Saturday we get there 30 mins before doors and can only get row 53 of 70. You couldn’t hear any bass up there and the sound was super weak. Everyone near us was shocked how quiet the sound was. So Sunday we get in line at 2pm and get row 30. We were stilll disappointed in the sound. Panic usually turns it way up. You never complain about volume at their shows but it was lacking. 

The whole weekend was a race. Race to eat and hit dispensary then race to the show then race up the stairs to drop your blanket and secure a spot. We had zero time to enjoy Colorado. We did spend a ton of time at redrocks and it has gorgeous views so there’s that, but we won’t be going again for this. It’s like tailgating at a football game 3 straight days. We like getting to a show right before start time and relaxing before. There was none of that for us. I also realized that no matter what song, I can’t get to the level I get when DSO plays dead or several of the other dead bands we like. We couldn’t push through the pain Fron climbing stairs like we could if dead was playing. On that note we will probably catch Phisj 3 shows im Nashville early October b/c we can do all 3 without her requesting any PTO as it’s a quick drive. 

• Sad (neutral) 1

• Forum MVP

I did the 2 nights of goose at the Louisville Palace. I enjoyed it. I’ll catch them when they are close. Saw dead and C o at Deercreek. We had a group of 10, and shenanigans ensued. Was a beautiful time and a monster shakedown. Currently sitting in the rain down at terrapin hill farm. Took in Hyryder and Rumpke last night and a full night of bluegrass ahead of storms allow. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

How was the Micheal Cleveland inclusion? Tonight' s is cut down to one set because of the rain coming in,but oh what set. When the guest female vocalists joined in it was all JGB. Saint>Wang Dang Doodle, lay down Sally, Tore up, midnight moonlight, love light, mns

I think I'm missing something.

Oh yeah, St Stephen after MM