Scott Larned, July 3, 1969 – April 24, 2005

chuckvegas

• Forum MVP

Tomorrow marks the 15th anniversary of the passing of Scott Larned. What he represents to the DSO world cannot be measured.

Earlier iterations of this Forum has an "In Memoriam" section, and it  included remembrances of not only Scott but also Tara Stout (fare thee well, angel), Santa (not that one; he will always be with us), and Chub (my understanding is that he was The Man). As the format chanced that was lost, and time moves on.

I had written a nice long recollection about the band, crew, my early shows, and obviously it was real "look at me" shit. Suffice it to say I first talked to crew (hard to miss Cam, Nicky, Sco, and Robbie Williams) and that got me over myself maybe a little. My first DSO show was in '01 and the first band members I talked to were Rob Eaton and Scott, probably in that order.

Scott does not need me to praise his memory and what he still means. Others know him far better that I did; sadly only a few of those still come around here much any more. But I know he made an impression on every fan he met and there are others, like myself, who remember his gaze out over the dancing crowd in front of him as he played.

I posted his last show recently so I won't repeat that. It was 4/23/05 and I strongly recommend it. The Foolish Heart alone is worth checking it out in the Archive. I saw several shows that tour but not his last two at the State.

After he passed there was a memorial show at the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, and I went to that. I am so, so glad I did. Thank you to everyone there.

And thanks to the poster formerly known as Shad-O-Vision for this. Play both "beginning" and "end." There are a lot of familiar faces, and a We Bid You Goodnight that no one wanted to end.

https://archive.org/details/scottlarned4/party.mpg

This starts with Cam's introduction of Cornmeal's set. But "set" doesn't do it justice as so many members of the Chicago jam band family sat in all night long that it was one long collage of memory from the heart.

https://archive.org/details/crnml2005-04-29.scott.flac16

I love you all so much, and it all started with people like Scott Larned.

• Forum MVP

I saw my first DSO show in '06, so I didn't miss Scott Larned by much,  but then again I very did miss him.

When I heard of his passing, without knowing much about DSO, it was an abstract thing. As in "good heavens, another guy in the keyboard seat of The Grateful Dead had unexpectedly passed?"

It's been nice to get a feel for who he was as a person via this forum and is apparent that what he did for the GD community is enormous.

• Forum MVP

So grateful to have been at his last show at the State Theater......I only learned of his passing the next evening when I walked up to the doors of the Recher Theater in Towson only to see a sign on the door of the cancelation.

As fate would have it I was also at the Columbia SC show a couple of years later on the day that Chub died......crazy.

• Forum MVP

I always appreciate the history lessons that show up from time to time regarding our favorite band. I am thankful to Chuck for keeping important DSO history present with us along the way, as well as many other’s stories and perspectives that get shared periodically. 

Much of it falls in the category of oral history...getting to hear the stories of what kind of guy Scott was and the vibe he put out. My first DSO show was the only one I saw with Scott,,and I wish I could have met him,,,but I can feel how his spirit lives on through all of your stories and the music he helped to create. It is so satisfying to keep history alive in this context...many thanks to those who help bring the finest qualities and experiences of the past into our present and future endeavors 😁

And thank you Scott, for your contributions to the music and the scene and helping the band grow into such a beautiful expression of music. Continue to Rest In Peace 

• Forum MVP

I got an early start and was lucky enough to catch 10 Scott shows from 02-05. I always dug his vibe, he seemed like he cared about the fans and i enjoyed seeing him gaze out over the crowd. Red sunburnt face at nelson ledges.

When i heard i he died i was at college, freshmen year, and i remember feeling like "damn, i just found this band  and now what....

When i heard Barraco was sitting in i excitedly made the trip up to Toads place,  new haven, with a few friends.  The show was life changing and i never looked back.  But I'll always be grateful for what scott did in terms of birthing this band and laying the foundation.  RiP.

• Forum MVP

Yea, thinking about Scott passing makes me think of my first show with Barraco on keys. Talking about Scott in the parking lot beforehand, and anticipation of Rob taking over. He had big shoes to fill and nailed it. My first show with Rob on keys was Electric Factory. They played 5/08/77. The only show that I guessed right beforehand, called it in the parking lot because of ‘Dancin’ in the streets’. Summer’s here and the time is right... Philadelphia, PA!....

God, I need a show! 

• Forum MVP

Like Island Bro my first dso show was a few weeks before Scott died, so it was the only time I saw him perform. And, like Mango when I heard he died I was really bummed because I had just found the fire I'd been missing for 10yrs. That dude could bring it, and you couldn't help but smile watching him play. Now he's smiling down on how things have unfolded, and eating a club sandwich! RIP good man!!

• Forum MVP
On 4/23/2020 at 8:53 PM, chuckvegas said:

Scott does not need me to praise his memory and what he still means. ....., like myself, who remember his gaze out over the dancing crowd in front of him as he played.

After he passed there was a memorial show at the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, and I went to that. I am so, so glad I did. Thank you to everyone there.

Thank you, Chuck, for bringing back memories of Scott. I can still see his smiling face pearing out from above the B3 as he played.

That night at the little Kinetic club was certainly memorial. Chuck and I had hung out all afternoon at a bookstore and a couble bars in the neighborhood, one of which got us a little uncomfortable. Then the party with all the Chicago people from DSO and Cornmeal family got moving as the night came on. It was a loosely put together bunch of entertainment with everyone enjoying being there. Sometime in the middle of it John sang the very best ever "Stella Blue". The walls of the room were crying along with all of Scott's friends, fans, and family. The party carried on until four am. Chuck and I found ourselves outside wondering how we could get back across Chicago to the hotel. I asked Tiny if we could hitch a ride with them in his van and he said that we could if there was room after he rounded up all the band folk. Finally after a grate crowd had been packed in, Tina stuck his head in the side door and moved a few folk around and then said, "Ok,Doc, you can sit here." I climed in and found myself setting right next to Donna Godchaux.  As the packed van moved across Chicago I counted seventeen people in that regular size Dodge van. I think Scott was there too, just sitting up front looking back smiling at us all.

Peace and Love for Scott and all our Friends

Doc

• 3 weeks later...

Archived