The 5/08/77 of Dark Star Orchestra.

• Forum MVP

Yes, all the dance combines for sure.

i know we were so worn out after that barnburner; there was room and we made the most of it. And seems like Frank was there too, from what I remember talking to you all on that cool deck at set break. I was traveling with the Cat and we had a decent number of folks over in our spacious suite type place after the show.

The elegant way is always a pleasure.

This is so difficult to name that one show. Certainly 5/19 Rams Head stands out as do others. The first night at Boulder either Boulder Theater or Fox Theater not sure which it was the first of both places that year was very good. Manheim PA that one night at the Jubilee... Napa was mentioned, great time with a blown out cartilage but able to dance somewhat on one leg and it was a blast. Most recent St Augustine!!! Then there was I think December a month or so after Jeff joined in South Carolina an elective 70 Style I think? The best shows are probably the ones you can't remember. I do remember a converted library in Western Pennsylvania after first set talking to herdy both of us agreed what a killer set. At some point I said what did they play I only remember the last song and he couldn't remember either and we busted up laughing. Truly the best shows for me is when I am dancing and all time stops and my spirit dances the song of joy nothing exists anymore while a part of everything that's ever been.

Sometimes I have been asked what is the best cigar I have ever smoked and it is much like going to see Dark Star... it is not the quality of the cigar or even how well Dark Star plays because so much more goes into it. The Setting, is it a cool venue Outdoors? Grass? Rough concrete? What is security like? How is the sound? How much peace and acceptance do you have of yourself your life and the people and events in your life? What are you feeling physically? All of this goes into the philosophy of a good show for me. And of course who is in the groove on the dance floor plays a big part! 

• Like (+1) 4

The setting plays a very big part. If 5/19 ramshead was played at Starland Ballroom or revolution in Fort Lauderdale would we still be talking about it in a positive way? The Hilton Atlantic City great air conditioning carpet plenty of room to dance a fantastic place! What is so cool is Dark Star is the vehicle that when they are on which is usual they are the Catalyst for a very memorable experience!

Late to the party, but what a great topic.  5/8/77, while overrated, still makes a perfect premise.  I could have went with many different shows (obviously), but for me nothing tops 8/31/02 Marvin's Mountaintop (believe it was All Good Festival).  The links are below but allow me to say that the 2nd set included about 50 minutes of vocal-less spaced out jams (except for just the one verse of Dark Star, I think) from Playin > Drums > Space > Dark Star, most of which feature the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey all over it.  The tone that their guitar player has!  What is THAT?!  I've you've never seen/heard this one, I can't recommend it enough.

Honorable mentions:

5/27/05 - Irving Plaza, NYC  The 1st show without Scott. All the emotion came just pouring through Eyes, Attics, and Lovelight.

2/17/12 - Newport Music Hall, Columbus, OH  Raunchy guitar on Minglewood, Let It Rock, Why Don't We Do It In The Road?, and Tore Up; crazy Viola Lee 

Please check out

Dark Star Orchestra Live at Marvin's Mountaintop on 2002-08-31 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Dark Star Orchestra - 8/31/02 - Set 1 - Masontown, WV - YouTube

Dark Star Orchestra - 8/31/02 - Set 2 - Masontown, WV - YouTube 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Another attempt to describe the indescribable. 

- Jerry Garcia

• Forum MVP

So like the 50th best Dso Show? A top 5 dew for sure in 5-8-77. If you don’t think it’s a top 5 dew we need to talk. Ultimate Sbd quality passed arouNd on tape skewed many opinions. If we are going best Eaton Dso boards, that 12-1-17 is about as perfect as a board can be. At one point I had a list of the intimate Dso boards based on sound quality but memories fade. 

• Forum MVP

How come so many of these 5-8-77 level DSO shows are in the JK era? I thought the conventional wisdom is they get better with every tour. 🤪

More seriously: I am a DSO lightweight compared to most on this forum, but I think the band is at a whole 'nother level since Skip came on board. And that's beside any JK/Jeff debates. I loved JK, but the dimensions that Jeff adds can't be overlooked. To suggest that the 5-8-77 DSO show is prior to the Skip era doesn't add up for me. It's almost like saying the 5-8-77 Dead show was in the Brent era. (And in fairness, some of the suggestions in this thread are 60s era shows with the current line up.)

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
57 minutes ago, John A said:

How come so many of these 5-8-77 level DSO shows are in the JK era? I thought the conventional wisdom is they get better with every tour. 🤪

More seriously: I am a DSO lightweight compared to most on this forum, but I think the band is at a whole 'nother level since Skip came on board. And that's beside any JK/Jeff debates. I loved JK, but the dimensions that Jeff adds can't be overlooked. To suggest that the 5-8-77 DSO show is prior to the Skip era doesn't add up for me. It's almost like saying the 5-8-77 Dead show was in the Brent era. (And in fairness, some of the suggestions in this thread are 60s era shows with the current line up.)

you were on a roll until the Dso just gets better but the dead just got worse inference. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

you were on a roll until the Dso just gets better but the dead just got worse inference. 

The Dead absolutely just got worse.  Fortunately it didn't happen on a consistent trajectory until, and I'm going to throw out a generalized moment here, the Oakland Halloween run in 1991.

• Forum MVP

My 5/08/77 of the Grateful Dead was 7/12/90. 23 days before Brent bought the farm. There was no end in sight when it looked like Hornsby might take them to an even higher plane, at least the same but different. After that, it was a nine mile skid. Albeit, some of my favorite GD memories. You gotta admit, we got way more worser too. The fans are a member of the band. I think the GD had a party element to them. Let’s get fucked up and play. Dark Star Orchestra is definitely professional. You don’t see any of them walk up to the microphone and forget where they are in the universe. That’ll get them to show 5800, for sure. I can’t wait. 

• Forum MVP
On 5/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, Rude said:

So like the 50th best Dso Show? A top 5 dew for sure in 5-8-77. If you don’t think it’s a top 5 dew we need to talk. Ultimate Sbd quality passed arouNd on tape skewed many opinions. If we are going best Eaton Dso boards, that 12-1-17 is about as perfect as a board can be. At one point I had a list of the intimate Dso boards based on sound quality but memories fade. 

You hit the nail on the head,  5-8-77 is all about the Dew. For me the show would be 10-30-10. Just great mix of environment (night before Halloween with costumed crowd), mood and show.  A good friend dressed up as a member of the "blue man group" and slowly dripped away in the heat of the venue as the night went on,  big fun. 

10-30-10 Covington,  Ky.

Morning Dew

Mamu 

Doin that rag>

He was a friend of mine (1st)

Hard to handle

Cosmic Charlie

Cryptic>Drums>Other one>Criptical

China Cat>

Sitting on top of the world>

Dark star>

St. Stephen>

Eleven>

Lovelight 

Filler: Hurts me too, Bid you goodnight

• Like (+1) 2

You know the expression, "takes your breath away"?  I can't think of October 17th, 1983 without shortness of breath - same now as I type.  I walked into that venue an ADHD and paradoxically 'sleepy' boy and walked out awake, transformed and never the same again. 

Edit: The subject is DSO 5/8/77.  First DSO show couldn't believe my eyes, ears and experience:  2001-04-11 Keene, NH.  Every other show is an super honorable mention.

Edited by franknkeene
  • Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
On 5/6/2021 at 4:14 PM, Mason's Child said:

I’m gonna have to disagree with those that caught that magic 68. It couldn’t be of 5/8/77. 5/8/77 is not the greatest show ever. Which you can contend your 68 in Norfolk was. I can’t argue that. I wasn’t there. The show at the jubilee was shared and felt by more people. It moved the DSO needle in a way closest to 5/8/77. The collective experience of greatness far outweighs your individual feelings of greatness. Night 2 in Jamaica 3 years ago was the greatest DSO experience I’ve ever had. I assure you rivals your experience and it didn’t matter what they played. I truly levitated in sand. I was able to dance seamlessly at full speed on sand. But that experience was mine alone and I don’t think any of you guys could achieve it. 

Remember what 5/8/77. It is not the best show the Grateful Dead ever played and to be honest, I’m gonna go with the old timers. 5/19/07 is DSO 5/8/77. We talked about show for 15 years. We still talking about it. It’s playing in my car. 

I love you brother.  I learn from the ole timers..There is no disrespect here.....   None of you were at the 68 show at NORVA by DSO.  on 12-01-17.   Jubilee 69 was the best musical experience until this show came to be. 

Music is so personal--how does one judge?  We judge by how we feel, who we are with, the exchange of energy between those we love----and the quality of music.  

I was lucky enough to have experienced people I love, in my home town, with amazing energy to a event that I am saddened many of you missed.  You have seen hundreds of DSO shows.  Thousands of hours of music.  Yet, you and many others I care about missed the best musical production of the century. 

You are right.  5/8/77 was not GD's best show.  It was one of the best recorded shows in history.  It has moved people for generations.  I still can not get over the Scarlet--Fire.  The bass in Estimated.  The Morning Dew---still gives me chills after the 2000 times I have heard. 

I do not know GD like many of you.  You all throw out stats about GD like its a ESPN channel.  At times I am embarrassed that I love something so much but know so little about compared to those whom I have toured and shared the music with.  

Where I am weak others provide me their strengths. I have deferred many times to my elders.  Many times my elders were younger in age because they know the stats, they have witnessed amazing music.  They also know the music in ways I never will.  I concede I do not know as much about GD or DSO that you and many others who have my utmost respect know.  I learn from you all!!!   Yet, no one can deny that I do not feel, love, and embody the music

I have no doubt that anyone who knows me would never argue that I do not get the music. I get it...at times...I do not even know how I get it.    It is at times a curse.  How much have we lost to gain for the satisfaction of hearing these sounds?  I am a libertarian conservative. I should not belong here--I am trapped in worlds that polarize and confuse.   There is a balance to life.  How much we give and how much we get?  There are sacrifices we all experience.  

I read your words Mason and I read through your tour-ment.  Your words read like a tragedy.  I am so sorry you and many were not there to be part of the best orchestrated music of this century.  It hurts me too.

I am left with the question----how many shows would I give up to have this one special night?  

I do not have the answer.

I am unable to answer my own question----yet, I am able to say---with authority----12-01-2017 was and is to this date the best musical production of the century. 

I do not believe JK could of done this show.  I have heard the AC, Rams Head, and Hilton Head.  I wish I was there.  Perhaps I would post something different if I found the DSO bus earlier; however, I am unable to be dishonest, and I am unable to agree with other post.  Selfish perhaps, but I do not think so.  Just lucky----and those who know me know I have not been lucky in many aspects of life, but I was lucky to get this one.  

I ask myself why?   Why does DSO not do these shows more often.  Why do they hold us back?  Marketing?  After first set, the crowd reduced to half.  Many did not know what they witnessed.  I got to witness the early magic with the Carolina Contingent blessed with some Kentucky Rude.  The show was planned and my favorite podiatrist eased me in with his lovely muse.   You all can debate, but I feel like a strong moderator in saying, there is no close second.  

I want to agree with so many of you.  I want so many of you to have been there with us.  NORVA is out of the way.  Its a double decker Dewey less the northern edge.  Not a place anyone expected to have the greatest production of the century.  

Questions left--why did DSO do it there and why was I lucky enough to get it?  I did not deserve this show.  Others who have tried so hard to get this sound over the past decade missed it.  It was not fair to many, but it was a fair deal for me!!!  

I would for sure trade all previous shows if those who missed could of witnessed.  Yep, I got it, you missed it........wished we all got it.   Bragging rights----not here-----I wish for us all to get another---together!!!   

In essence---I was Charlie that got the gold ticket to the chocolate factory. I did not deviate, blow up, turn purple, but I floated so high I needed the fans to blow my body down.       

Do people apologize to their friends when they win the lottery?  For me....I just wish I could of shared the winnings with more who frequent this place.   

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

The problem is it’s all subjective. Maybe the best early show I saw was in Munhall, PA. I was sober as my mother for the first set and it simply blew my mind. I assure you sonically speaking others have interpreted shows they saw at the same level as the show you saw. It’s all subjective stuff. I remember missing the first 69 and being disappointed. Hearing Tiano say that afterward he couldn’t collapse the stage down for a minute. He had to go out for a cigarette. Then there was that time at the Capitol theater. They did a 3 setter with acoustic first set. That show was a monster as well. I’ll still never forget Driggs ID. The music was spot on that night. But there was also just something in the air. We were at the base of the Teton mountains and Venus was visible that night. Baracco pointes it out from the stage. Driggs still stands in my top 10. It’s all subjective. I hate to miss great shows and I’m sure that 68 was great although set list wasn’t all that unique from a 69. If I caught a 68, I’d like some of the rarities to come out. I also missed that AC show people raved about. Tour got cut short for me and I ended up spending an extra week in Delaware. It is only ones ego that truly places them in the mindset that was the best show ever. What made jubilee night 2 so special is it shattered my ego. I walked away egoless. And people that know me know I can be an egotistical asshole. I went home and wrote essays about that night. That night was life changing. 

Man I remember those first 50 shows. Every night was the best show ever. It just kept getting better and better. 

But please don’t wish to give up your shows so we could be there. The best show ever is still on the horizon. It hasn’t been played yet. Maybe it will happen in Chicago. I hope to see you there. Who knows it could be Louisville. You never know which one will hit you the hardest. I have to admit though my ego refuses to listen to anyone that hasn’t seen minimum 300 dark star shows to even have an opinion that weighs on me. Maybe if Bix chimes in. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Crowd reduced to half. Truly shows how subjective it all is. A group of 10 was hearing best show ever. Hundreds were hearing a shitty show and left. 

The greatness of the show and truly egoless evaluation would be the collective opinion of all in attendance right. 

I hope you know I don’t actually agree with that statement. Some people just don’t know. Some people just don’t get it. 

That convington show was a smoker too. Just saw bs69 show. Hadn’t even remembered that one and that may have been top 10. The funny thing with the top 10. Is it more like the weekly top 40. There’s actually much more than 10 shows in it and it changes all the time. It’s in flux. 

i wouldn’t call it best show ever or maybe even top 10 but I remember seeing Furthur play red rocks. These were some of the strongest Furthur shows I saw. The one night they spelled steal your face with the first letter of each song in the set lists. They let John sing eyes. I thought I was blown away. I then went and saw DSO in Jackson hole WY. They went in and out of the other one for like 40 min. Furthur in my not so humble opinion never achieved anything close to that musically. It was controlled madness with just the right touch of recklessness and abandon. 

Sunny I am glad I read your post today. It set me down a path a happy memories. Just thinking of all that great music I’ve seen and is it yet to come. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

What made jubilee night 2 so special is it shattered my ego. I walked away egoless. And people that know me know I can be an egotistical asshole. I went home and wrote essays about that night. That night was life changing. 

Man I remember those first 50 shows. Every night was the best show ever. It just kept getting better and better. 

But please don’t wish to give up your shows so we could be there. The best show ever is still on the horizon. It hasn’t been played yet. Maybe it will happen in Chicago. I hope to see you there. Who knows it could be Louisville. You never know which one will hit you the hardest. I have to admit though my ego refuses to listen to anyone that hasn’t seen minimum 300 dark star shows to even have an opinion that weighs on me. Maybe if Bix chimes in. 

It is refreshing to read words that include self reflection.  Bridget agrees you are a egotistical asshole!!!!  I am so used to it that I was blinded by the words you shared that morning in Richmond.  Oddly, Rude put you in check and made me look and feel like the little man I was for not sticking up for my girl.  Granted, she tried to put me in jail the previous night, but we forgive those we love.  Just as I forgive you and have grown to absolutely love your EGO ass.  I know why your EGO is as it is.  Events we experience creates who we are.  Building emotional walls---tearing down others.   Its ok----I know---and love you the same. I say this despite asking me to install flooring when I was out in CO recently.  I just wanted to buy your family dinner!!!  You know I am giggling.  Its fun to remember.  

I also know you do not believe that half the people left because the music was bad.  They left because a 68 show is confusing----people that wear tye dies and love Touch of Grey thought they may have showed up the wrong night?   I am positive that some who left were hoping for a Corrina.  Who am I to complain about the other half leaving a "shit show".   Some people at shows have yet to learn about the layers of the music we all love.  Our love for this stuff is always in development--at times cryptical---at times obvious.

All that being said--brother---you know damn well I have not done 300+ shows.  Your response is greatly appreciated, but it's conflicting.  I know you appreciate my words---They were written in a way you had no choice but to respond---again--I know your EGO!!!!  I have danced in the halls of Hampton to both JGB and GD.   I missed Further because Warren Haynes sucks and delayed my DSO venture for several years by how bad he sucked at George at the Gorge with Further.   I refused Further thereafter--but eventually found DSO with JM.   

I freely admit that I have elders.  You are one of them for me.  Although, I was seeing shows when you were in diapers, I am ok that you have far surpassed my knowledge and show going experience.  This family needs you brother and your EGO.  We all have our place.  You fit yours perfectly!!!!  I love you for it.  

All that being said, I knew you would respond to my claim about 12-01-2017.  We were both in Boston for that 69.  Music was good, but it was not Jubilee 69 and Jubilee 69 was not 12-01-2017.   I am a late 80's early 90's child.  I still have not got a Desolation from DSO, but I am trying.  I would persevere through a Day Job to get a beauty parlor filled with sailors .....  because I am part of the act when the circus is in town.  So are you---we are all acts in this circus.  I was just lucky to be part of the greatest act of the century 12-01-17.

Subjective----ok----but its only ok to make you feel better about it.  I do not have 300+ shows--- to discount my witness to absolute glory because I lack numbers is your EGO glowing. You do not need Bix to step in. But..if he did, I would give Bix the respect as a elder in our family deserves. I look up to many of you even if you do not know it.  Its why I would give up my previous music for you and others to have witness pure energy in its finest.  We have shared dance space brother----I understand and appreciate your EGO block.  I loose my EGO when the music plays.  How else can I dance like fool and not care what others think.  Every show my EGO is left at the door.  I pick it up when I leave.  I freely admit I now incorporate one of your dancing features into my own.  I call it the "Handcuff shuffle". 

Love you brother.  Driggs, ID-----Hurts me too I was not part of that act.   That is where my body belongs.  Happy you got it.  Happy you get everything you go after. Happy you were one of the first to challenge me in this community but one of the first to welcome me in with arms wide open.  I remember the first minutes we met.  "It looks like your in two sets deep". It was the 2nd song of the night--Black Mountain---  You, Mango, and I all knew who we were with out knowing who we were.  The best nights are always the nights I am with family.  The best production of GD in this century was and is still 12-01-2017.   You are so right....the best is yet to come.   When you get it---and the probability is high you will get it-----I will celebrate--even if not there.   I will celebrate those who got it----hopefully--half the show leaves because they don't get what we spend decades searching for.   

Miss you brother---miss that EGO.  Miss hanging out with a Freudian delight.   I hope we cross paths soon.  Hopefully Red Rocks.  Maybe Soldiers.   I am working on plans.  Thank you for taking your time to come to me in Hampton B. when She belongs to me started.  I was near tears.  You did the handcuff shuffle over and shared how happy you were for me to get what I have been searching for.  Brother, you are a egotistical ass.   Which made your effort so very special for me.  Thank you!!!  Your words mean a lot!!!  Many are routing for you---please know that.  I am one of your biggest fans---brat!!!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I qualify by show count to have an opinion, so here it is: I like Corrina, Bette Davis style is sacred writ, The Maker is the hand of God reaching down to lift us up, and I am a child still learning to crawl before trying to walk. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

The problem is it’s all subjective. Maybe the best early show I saw was in Munhall, PA. I was sober as my mother for the first set and it simply blew my mind. I assure you sonically speaking others have interpreted shows they saw at the same level as the show you saw. It’s all subjective stuff. I remember missing the first 69 and being disappointed. Hearing Tiano say that afterward he couldn’t collapse the stage down for a minute. He had to go out for a cigarette. Then there was that time at the Capitol theater. They did a 3 setter with acoustic first set. That show was a monster as well. I’ll still never forget Driggs ID. The music was spot on that night. But there was also just something in the air. We were at the base of the Teton mountains and Venus was visible that night. Baracco pointes it out from the stage. Driggs still stands in my top 10. It’s all subjective. I hate to miss great shows and I’m sure that 68 was great although set list wasn’t all that unique from a 69. If I caught a 68, I’d like some of the rarities to come out. I also missed that AC show people raved about. Tour got cut short for me and I ended up spending an extra week in Delaware. It is only ones ego that truly places them in the mindset that was the best show ever. What made jubilee night 2 so special is it shattered my ego. I walked away egoless. And people that know me know I can be an egotistical asshole. I went home and wrote essays about that night. That night was life changing. 

It is all subjective. We don’t have the wealth of recordings available to pore over that the Grateful Dead has available, so really any “greatest” show will be from your own subjective experience. It’s completely the opposite as far as Grateful Dead greatest shows are complied, how many people does anyone know in real life who attended 8/27/72, for example? DSO plays at such a consistently high level that it is tough for me to musically pick out a greatest show. What stands out for me are the times with people:

1. New Haven fall 2016, my first show back to seeing these guys after an 11 year hiatus, Barraco on bass and Chimenti on keys. It made me want to come back. 
2. Capitol Theater spring 2018, the first show that me and Jake attended together. They played 9/18/87. We started becoming friends again after that night and are tight now as brothers should be. Also decided I was going to start taping the band that night. 
3. Hampton Beach summer 2018, first time taping, Cotter and the tapers I met welcomed me as one of their own, which was nice, as I hadn’t made any friends yet really. Met sml that summer through a dear taper friend (you met Jeannie briefly at the bus the other night MC)
4. Anthem Fall 2018, met Bill K, Greg From C-Town, LikeEveryone, Rude, Tea and Gratefulpair, my first time meeting some people from the forum, felt good make real life friends with people I interact with online. 
5. Jubilee 2019, met MC, Mango, and the rest of the kind and gentle hearted crew we were blessed to camp and become friends with that weekend. Night three was the first time I truly felt free to dance, among new friends, flying on the wings of love. I learned that night that I’m really not a taper, and that I come to concerts to fly freely. 

To MC, my apologies for my ego’s especially long winded response to your ego’s skepticism of anyone who isn’t in the 300 club’s opinion of greatest show. You’re among peers here, MC. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, having seen only around 85 shows since starting up again. Everyone here in the forum is dedicated enough to be here and contributing to the discussion, and to hear the 300 thing from a long timer as yourself could be discouraging the participation to some. Your level of dedication is inspiring, I know I’ll never hit the 500 club. No hard feelings to you, I just wanted to offer the perspective of someone who hasn’t seen 300 shows yet still considers DSO an oasis in the storm.  I like you and I know if I see you at a show, there will be at least one more person there leaving everything out there on the dance floor. See you soon, I hope!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
5 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

I qualify by show count to have an opinion, so here it is: I like Corrina, Bette Davis style is sacred writ, The Maker is the hand of God reaching down to lift us up, and I am a child still learning to crawl before trying to walk. 

Her hair is harlow gold, her lips sweet surprise----Kim Carnes is my third love.  Oliva my first---GD/DSO second. Wrote her letters as a child.  Bless my mom for sending them--maybe.   Not even sure I am hitting your mark.  Your opinion counts because your Vegas.  I am sure there is nothing that I know that you do not already know and have reflected on for hours.  Maybe seconds.  I just assume what takes me years to understand you get immediately.    I am completely ok knowing a legend in their own time.  Thanks for being good to people in Frederick.  Was not in the hot tub, but if I was, I comfortably would have sit next to you!!!  Admiration runs deep.  There was a time I name dropped Vegas in Jamaica.  It was beneficial!!!! I am ok as a male to be part of your fan club!!!! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
31 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

The comment about 300 shows was tongue in cheek. I’m glad you guys latched onto it. 

Brother,  I love you dearly.  I only tease those who I care for. I want 300 shows.  I am green with your appearances.  Jealousy is not always a bad thing.  Envy is not always a bad thing.  I am both when it comes to your experiences.  So much so, I incorporated your dance into mine.  The only thing I latch to is the feelings I have for those who brought me in.  Enjoy the weekend.  Trying right now to get out there.  Super last minute. Be safe----and  experience does matter.  Its why i have no problem looking up to someone younger and unfortunately cause of covid--smaller.  I got fat!!!