Martin Scorsese to Direct Grateful Dead Biopic Starring Jonah Hill as Jerry Garcia

Billy DeLyon

Wow, don't know what to think of this.  I would imagine it will be cool either way but really Jonah Hill???  I mean Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison was good, Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash was on point.  But Jonah Hill as Jerry?? 

I just don't see how that works on any level.  We'll see but he definitely wouldn't be my first choice

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/martin-scorsese-grateful-dead-biopic-jonah-hill-1235115213/

intro-1610477698.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWi_fPzD0QC/?utm_medium=copy_link

please watch 😂😂

they made a interesting point on tales from the golden road on SiriusXM. Deadheads hold Jerry near their hearts and are very hard to satisfy when it comes to Jerry related things.  Kind of Like when John Mayer started. So Jonah Hill as first is probably not anyone’s first choice. And as long as it’s not a junkie documentary (words they used) it should be pretty good. 
Is a he a fan? Who knows his extent of love for dead music. He’s pretty fucking funny and played some good roles. So all we can do is hope it’s not a shitty portrayal of Jerry and a good depiction of him and the band.  Val Kilmer played a mean Jim though. Either way who gives a fuck I’m happy DSO is back on the road 

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Vic81 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWi_fPzD0QC/?utm_medium=copy_link

please watch 😂😂

they made a interesting point on tales from the golden road on SiriusXM. Deadheads hold Jerry near their hearts and are very hard to satisfy when it comes to Jerry related things.  Kind of Like when John Mayer started. So Jonah Hill as first is probably not anyone’s first choice. And as long as it’s not a junkie documentary (words they used) it should be pretty good. 
Is a he a fan? Who knows his extent of love for dead music. He’s pretty fucking funny and played some good roles. So all we can do is hope it’s not a shitty portrayal of Jerry and a good depiction of him and the band.  Val Kilmer played a mean Jim though. Either way who gives a fuck I’m happy DSO is back on the road 

I told meili something similar. The ultra die hard deads would have an issue with anything short of jerry reincarnate playing himself. It’s a biopic so it will have fictional dialog etc and we either accept the dramatization or we don’t. 

• 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP

He needs to stock up on black sweat pants and black tees with an occasional red tee thrown in there. He was smoking a cig so he’s got that part down. 

did Jerry ever wear a full tie dye outfit or is that creative license. I’m sure there will be a lot of that. A pure Jerry docudrama would likely be a tad boring or at least based on his last 15 years. Play show, hide out, go to Hawaii. 

• Like (+1) 1

I generally enjoy biopics because I don't know the person's story that well.

Examples include; Johnny Cash (Walk the Line), Jim Morrison (The Doors), Ray Charles (Ray), Stephen Hawkins (Brief History of Time), John Nash (A Beautiful Mind), Petey Greene (Talk to Me); Muhammed Ali (Ali), Vince Papale (Invincible); Jordan Belfort (The Wolf of Wall Street)

I've never seen a biopic where I know the person's story inside and out like this Garcia movie.  Interesting.

I really like Jonah Hill in just about everything I've seen him do......especially SuperbadMoneyball and The Wolf of Wall Street.  

• Like (+1) 2

They should have just made this a Netflix series.  Like 10 episodes.  That way you could have gone through the progression of Jerry/the band.  How do they play on condensing 30+ years of touring into a 2-3 hour movie.  Plus if you're changing out band members that will also need 15-20mins of setup/explanation.  Is Bobby gonna be in the movie with makeup on to make him look 19 again??  or do they just go with a whole cast of actors.  If so, they're gonna look funny trying to play instruments and lip singing.  I think this is gonna be a hack job

• Forum MVP
27 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Another attempt to explain the unexplainable.

- J. Garcia

When I hear him play, I know what he's saying, I just can't find the words.  It's like waking up from a vivid dream and the details just dissolve or simply hide from your conscious mind.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 years later...
  • Forum MVP
On 3/29/2024 at 6:24 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Any updates on this???

they changed the movie. Now Jonah Hill is playing John Mayer, the real Jerry. it took him 3 months to get the facial expressions of Mayer spot on. Plus he has to go to makeup for hours a day and wear a specially fitted corset to look like Mayer. 

• LMAO 1
  • Confused (neutral) 1

• Forum MVP
On 3/29/2024 at 7:24 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Any updates on this???

There was an agreement in principle (nothing contractual) to develop the project after killers of the flower moon was completed.  According in IMBD, Scorsese has 9 projects in active pre-production which suggests the biopic is inactive or DOA.  Probably for the best given the degree of difficulty 

• Thanks (+1) 1