Dark Star Jubilee 2022

LangeradoSoul

• Forum MVP

I think everyone camped near the entrance year 1. Very few were in the field.  We were like the 5th car and got a nice spot on the ridge in the shade. Unfortunately we weren’t prepared and had no tarp so we were stuck in the tent during the rain.  It was a big contrast from when we set up tarp city in like 2016. We cordoned off a large area near the vip bridge along with tarp walls lol. The only issue was we couldn’t see anyone passing lol. Had this great shade tree and Gr8tfulpair pair and I got bad poison ivy there lol. It was an amazing spot that they turned into vip next year and we weren’t happy about it. There are some overhead pics from a few years where it’s easy to spot tarp city. We connected all the tarps to cover all tents and a hang out area. We had like 4 tents and our chair area completely covered with huge tarps. 

10 hours ago, Dead duck said:

We camped at the end of shakedown street because I’d never been there and didn’t know where to set up. The grateful gangsta’s  next to us had drama and provided entertainment and bad vibes all weekend. Lol people would reach the end of shakedown street and walk into my camp like “what you sellin” and I was like “nuthin, just chillin here in the river” Lol

and I remember megaphone guy 🤣😆😆

That's exactly where I was camped out. Thank you for confirmation. Megaphone dude, despite disrupting my sleep, was hilarious. The section is lively every year.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
48 minutes ago, Rude said:

We had like 4 tents and our chair area completely covered with huge tarps. 

Was that the year with those fire stix guys actively mixing GD and Floyd tunes DJ-Style till sunrise?  Shhh...Shh...Shhh....SHAKEDOWN S-S-STREET!  We went and checked it out as I hazily recall.  I also recall that it was a rather large contingent of women fawning over these jackwagons.  I guess you can't sweat the technique.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
38 minutes ago, Tea said:

Was that the year with those fire stix guys actively mixing GD and Floyd tunes DJ-Style till sunrise?  Shhh...Shh...Shhh....SHAKEDOWN S-S-STREET!  We went and checked it out as I hazily recall.  I also recall that it was a rather large contingent of women fawning over these jackwagons.  I guess you can't sweat the technique.  

I was camped directly on the field side of those guys that year. The boys still bring it up and we all laugh and agree that was one of our least favorite neighbors. 2nd to one of the first years I took the boys (year 3 maybe) and we had camp nitrous right next door. Luckily we are all super heavy sleepers 🤣😆

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, LangeradoSoul said:

That’s fair 

Naw, it was the Labor Day Jubilee in 2012. Washed the large stage out on second day. Mickey Hart played in VIP tent 

Yes storm was first jubilee. Got mixed up with Hookaville the year before. DSO did 2 shows and a late night acoustic set!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

RV camping is outside the gates at the top of the hill. There’s really no reason to be VIP RV as regular RV is a great spot with a lot of good peeps and fun setups. The only reason to go VIP imo is camping next to car inside the venue. You do get showers with vip and a bit of swag, but if not for no longer wanting to pack gear, I’d just do GA. I assume the new VIP woods camping is the area in front of the normal VIP car camping where the woods is. It depends on how much gear you have. We’ve now gotten to where we have an SUV packed to the gills for 2 people because of the hundreds of camp decorations and lights.......so i don’t want to pack anything anywhere. I’d say if going minimalist, woods camping would work for you. We have EZ ups and tarps so we are shaded regardless. 

• Forum MVP

Here's the current Jubille lineup:

Railroad Earth with Peter Rowan performing 'Old and in the Way'

Yonder Mountain String Band

Melvin Seals and JGB

Galactic

Keller Williams' Grateful Grass

BoomBox

Donna the Buffalo

Holly Bowling

Jeff Mattson and Friends

Rumpke Mountain Boys

Magnolia Boulevard

Con Brio

The Quasi Kings

Katie Henry

• Like (+1) 2

I’m getting old now, so my memories of the Grateful Fest/Jubilees get all jumbled up. I’ve seen DSO somewhere north of 100 and less than 200 times starting in 2001. (I stopped counting my GD shows too at around 50 shows in 1981 or so) I missed the first two Jubilees, and one other.

What was the year they did a Thursday set with For What It’s Worth? That whole weekend was one of my favorites. It started me down the blue Grass road and reading about the history of American Music.

Thanks all,

Love you,

Joe 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 11:50 AM, sgrmag2564 said:

I’m getting old now, so my memories of the Grateful Fest/Jubilees get all jumbled up. I’ve seen DSO somewhere north of 100 and less than 200 times starting in 2001. (I stopped counting my GD shows too at around 50 shows in 1981 or so) I missed the first two Jubilees, and one other.

What was the year they did a Thursday set with For What It’s Worth? That whole weekend was one of my favorites. It started me down the blue Grass road and reading about the history of American Music.

Thanks all,

Love you,

Joe 

I think this may have been at grateful fest at nlqp, I seem to remember a 4 night run, at the end they said “thanks for a great 4 nights, we will never do this again…” but all the years combine and melt into a dream!

Edited by flairblair
  • Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, flairblair said:

I think this may have been at grateful fest at nlqp, ….

For sure it was at the Ledges. It might have been the first day and DSO was playing as “Terrapin Nation “  maybe the time the set list was all songs just picked out by the various members of the band and not Dead songs.     I think Chuck can remember more of the details.

peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

For sure it was at the Ledges. It might have been the first day and DSO was playing as “Terrapin Nation “  maybe the time the set list was all songs just picked out by the various members of the band and not Dead songs.     I think Chuck can remember more of the details.

peace and Love,

Doc

2010 Gratefulfest at the Ledges. Terrapin Nation does a Thur nite set. I think this was the one where you and I met Doc. I wanna say we met Flairblair at that one too. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

There was the one Grateful Fest (the beloved 2010) where each did a non-Dead song of their own choice. Lisa’s pick was Nothing but Flowers if memory serves correct.

There was another year (I think ‘07) there where they did a July 3rd mini-show as a sound check. John sang Watching the Wheels Go Round. That might be when they did For What it’s Worth.

Each of those years may qualify as a 4 show Ledges. But I could be all wrong.

i miss TN.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I never saw a DSO ledges show, and never a TN show either. One of my biggest regrets in life is not finding this band til I did in ‘12. Damn kids (and ex) knocked me off touring for about 14 years. Lol. From 98-2012 I stayed mostly local and just saw Bobby and Phil or ABB when they came close. I was going to see blues clues on ice and shit, Scooby Doo and Dora the explorer at the Palace in Louisville (separately of course)🤣

But when I came back to the road the boys started coming with me and the rest is history but that gap will haunt me forever especially when I hear you guys reminisce of shows from preDuck times Lol

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

My uncle got his PHD in anthropology from Duke studying Lemurs in Madagascar and “consulted” on some lemur puppet show on pbs similar to blues clues. He almost died living in the wild for 4-6 month stretches in Madagascar, being in the hospital for malaria for multiple month stretches. (Don’t go camping in the Madagascar jungle). The lengths people will go to get degrees that don’t offer real world jobs. But hey, now he’s 60 and has all his student loans paid off but had to take a job at a middling state university to get tenured like a middle Tennessee state. The life of an academic was always appealing to me besides the having to write papers and show up for class part to get the PHD. I liked the never having to really work idea and hanging out at college pubs and dating the constant stream of grad students. “Guys my age are so immature, professor. You are the only one who understands me”. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

My only complaint about jubilee is the late night bands. Galactic and Boombox would be so much better after DSO. Ive seen galactic several times in Nola and once at a 2am start time which is a good start time for them lol.  A psychedelic band should follow dso. Bluegrass is more of a daytime thing not late night and once electric music starts you don’t want to go back to accoustic. Boombox is pretty trippy and would make more sense for the mindset that many are in. You can always turn down the volume a bit if that’s the issue but after dso there are very few who actually stay down in the main area with the exclusion of 2019 when Billy Strings played so dropping the volume wouldn’t have much of an impact as people can just move a bit closer. Most other fests have late night psychedelic music areas for those that want a bit more. Looking at the lineup I’m guessing that Yonder and Rumpke will play the 1230-2am slot Friday and Saturday nights. Melvin would also work after dso but guessing he will be an afternoon gig or the perfect Sunday noon band. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Rude said:

;;;;Bluegrass is more of a daytime thing not late night and once electric music starts you don’t want to go back to accoustic. ....

I must disagree with our good friend, Rudd.  Late night bluegrass is excellent dance music. I have enjoyed bluegrass many times after midnight at the Jubliee and GratefulFest. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
19 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

I agree about the post DSO bands. One of my favorite post DSO late night bands was when Mickey Hart Band played after DSO in 2013. That was COLD!!!

fixed it for you. 

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP

I’m a late night bluegrass fan too Doc. I do agree with Rude that galactic and boombox are also best slotted late night, but I’ll take yonder and Rumpke for my preference. Rumpke late night is music festival bliss for me. Those boys will play til the sun comes up the next day if you let them. Down at terrapin hill farm, sunrise at the top o the hill, Rumpke still playin even tho their official set ended over 4 hours ago, boys asleep back in the tent somewhere 🤣😆 special memories. 

one year I think Marco Benevento played electric late night back when we still had double stages. Recall him wailing on keys in a giant Panda head. Or maybe none of that actually happed 🤔🤔

and maybe year 2, I think on Sunday night, the werks closed down the jubilee instead of it ending after DSO. I remember really liking the light show from back at camp

*disclaimer all of the specific details of this message are subject to being misremembered due to hard livin. Lol

• LMAO 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

DSO Friends,

It seems I pulled the trigger too early and purchased 1 Adult VIP, 1 RV VIP, and I child VIP.  Unfortunately, a scheduling conflict has come up, and I can't attend.  The good news is that I purchased them in the "early bird" stage, and I'm not looking to make any profit - I'd just like to get some of the money back.  Let me know if you're interested in purchasing from me ... I'm a  trustworthy 41 year old who planned to bring my 10 year old daughter.  And I can email you the tickets immediately. 

Hate to miss this incredible event!

General Admission gates will open at NOON on Friday, May 28, 2022.

VIP gates will open at 10 AM on Friday, May 28, 2022.

All gates will close at NOON on Monday, May 31, 2022.

These are the dates posted on the darkstarjubilee.com site. I'm pretty sure they mean Friday May 27th closing Monday May 30th.

Just looking for someone to confirm for me because ... I'd hate to get it wrong.

Help!