2022/03/14 - Burlington

Tea

• Forum MVP

At least I think this is right.  Had an incomplete setlist:

Onongada County War Memorial on 1978-05-09

Franklin's Tower, Minglewood Blues, Row Jimmy, Looks Like Rain, Friend Of The Devil, El Paso, Candyman, Passenger, Deal

Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Dancin' In The Streets-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Around & Around,

E: Werewolves of London

F: The shape I’m In

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
1 hour ago, BillK522 said:

Matches Dead Base for the date.

Shape a Bust out?

Praise DSO.

So 'Shape I'm In' is not 100% it turns out.  The embedded reporter 'Thinks' that's what it was but admits to a moderate scramble.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
20 hours ago, Wharf Rat Stu said:

So are we talking about Fleetwood Mac's 'Shape I'm In'????

Not a fan of The Mac but I do like that song. 

that would be weird. Have to assume it’s the bands. I didn’t even know there was a Mac song named that. Considering the dead covered the band and played with the band id say it’s a 99.9 shot of the bands version lol. 

• Forum MVP

Gotta be the band, that tune fits with the type of tune the Dead covers. That was my first thought, which flows right into another thought I have had for decades.  I think the tunes that the Grateful Dead cover have to fit, sound wise, lyrics and ‘theme’ also. That’s why you never hear them cover certain times and why some tunes just don’t hang around. Its gotta fit the overall vibe of a Dead show. Jerry Band ventured out with Shining Star but he made it his, changed it up. That’s why day job got dropped. I think the sound fits but the lyrics didn’t. I never cared for ‘I fought the Law’, didn’t think the band should be covering it. Just my opinion. How’s that for a conversation starter? 

Good comments Greg from C-Town. 

Personally I am glad DSO didn't cover anything from The Mac. And I agree with the flow theory etc. 

WRT "I Fought The Law", I read somewhere that on the limo ride to the show when GD first played it, that song come on over the radio.  Then they played it that night as an encore.  I don't think IFTL had any longevity potential and was glad to see it dropped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

It’s gotta fit the vibe of the sixties. Born in ‘61, I saw it from my older siblings. Basically, we have a better idea for the planet than what our parents and leaders who didn’t get shot are showing us. Peace, love, and flowers. Not necessarily in that order. 
As far as the story about listening to the radio on the limo ride to the show, I bet they were hoping the DJ would play some Dead.                                   …sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own…