2023 Dark Star Jubilee

• 6 months later...
  • Forum MVP

We're coming up early Friday to get the full weekend. I haven't done Jubilee after being spoiled by the ledges for 3 yrs. My wingman is in the process of creating a keg of homebrew and I planning on filling a cooler with three days of vegan delights:  quinoa nori roll, jalapeno poppers, tamari tofu fillets, diced up garlic tempeh and if I can figure out how to make my sourdough breads during a work week. He's bringing the keg and I'm bringing the food

I was taught at the telluride bluegrass festival to have foods prepared so more time can be spent at the stage. can't wait to hear the sound system they bring in for this event 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I don’t know much about the tech part of it besides it’s their new flagship large format PA and that each speaker in the array is self powered so no need for 20 mono blocks to push the sound. I just want 1 McIntosh mono block but the little man is more likely to get one before me. Or you can have 4 like John A and do a home addition just to put your power and server bank. It is sorta crazy to see his music closet with all the Beta tapes of music as well as the thousands of casettes. Crazy to think that people took beta tapes and 30 pound VCR things into shows in the day as that was the 1st digital way to record. Did you have to bring a car battery for the power?

• Forum MVP

Backpacks with false backs worked. When opening the backpack at the door your hands are holding the false backing in place and they're concentrating on what's in the backpack. But, you had to remember to have something in the backpack. One time when going into the Warfield with this custom false back backpack we only had a copy of a physician drug reference guide and a sweatshirt. Not really appreciate as it was summer. We also put equipment in the back of our arms.  By lifting up your arms for the search, they'd start patting down on the chest working down to the feet. Most stealth tapers also had a back up D6 going in with another person. The AKG 460's and their battery packs and two 6  foot cables along with a battery converted dbx unit and the D5 was a mound of equipment that was daunting at times when there was only two of us going in 

• Like (+1) 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

We need to pray for no more rain at least for next weekend. Legend valley has 3 straight fest weekends of fests which destroyed the vip camping area. This weekend they are getting wet. Just need it to stay dry for the grass to grow. Cars driving is the culprit as the bowl camping was dry and mud free. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Last year Chuck the vip car camp area had 12” deep tire marks from cars coming in. A few got stuck near us. We put down a tarp to walk on as your shoes would get stuck in the mud and come off your feet. It was pretty brutal. No grass of course or there would be roots. We were joking that you could tell vip people because they had mud up their legs and GA peeps where no cars destroyed it were pristine. We went barefoot to set up camp as it would ruin your shoes. 

• Forum MVP

The forecast temp keeps going up. Set up day on Friday can be rough in the heat, but after that it’s gravy. We mostly just go naked with no sunscreen like they did in Venetta in 72. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 2
  • Forum MVP

The good news is the forecast has revised downwards. I remember year 2 was predicting like low 45 or so and a few days later it was 32 and tents had frost. I’ll take heat all day over that jubilee. That sucked. No one even bothered with camp fires it was so cold. Jump in your sleeping bag and shiver lol. 

• Forum MVP
On 5/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, Rude said:

The forecast temp keeps going up. Set up day on Friday can be rough in the heat, but after that it’s gravy. We mostly just go naked with no sunscreen like they did in Venetta in 72. 

On 5/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, Rude said:

The good news is the forecast has revised downwards. I remember year 2 was predicting like low 45 or so and a few days later it was 32 and tents had frost. I’ll take heat all day over that jubilee. That sucked. No one even bothered with camp fires it was so cold. Jump in your sleeping bag and shiver lol. 

The temps they go up

The temps they go down

Do yourself a favor

Looks nearly perfect…Dry and about 80 by day and 50’s by night.

To me the funny thing is there is so much uncertainty a couple of weeks from the day….but for sure 100 years from now it will be 2.8 degrees C warmer.
The scientific term for that would be “poppycock”!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

It absolutely looks like perfection bro. 80/55 is perfect. 68 showtime and 60 at end. No chance of rain all week so will be dry ground. Pumped!!! A buddy of mine had some comment about the lineup. I said what do you mean. Dso is playing 3 nights. Oh you mean the bands we go check out for an hour or 2 a day while taking a stroll. Lineup. Gotcha. 

the temps are going up and it’s pretty clear industrialization is causing it, but no one I know is willing to completely change their lives for it. So you are like omg global warming but drive an SUV to work solo every day. I care but nothing I can do. I ain’t stopping travel. I like my house cool in the summer. It’s happening and humans will need to relocate some. But stopping it means changes no one would be onboard with. 

• Forum MVP

We’ve gotten down every time your wife has performed. How could we stand still during Jerry Band. I always enjoyed the very Garcia band. I don’t want a full out skull and roses, but 3 other dead bands seems about perfect. We are all at least master level dead historians but I doubt many could name a song on the billboard top 50 right now. Yeah everyone knows WAP. It’s a great song but that was a few years ago and if you had teenage daughters that was probably an uncomfortable song to see them do on Tictok. In the name of decency I’ll leave it at WAP. 

in good news there isn’t a chance of rain for the next 10 days. Anything but rain is tolerable when camping. 

• Like (+1) 2