Random question

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

(For the brave, conscientious and patient perusers of this medium)

I believe this random question is in compliance with the forums directive of a fan site dedicated to Dark Star Orchestra and The Grateful Dead Experience:

What was your first concert and what was the progression of concerts that followed that led you to trying to get to as many Grateful Dead and Dark Star Orchestra concerts as possible? 

David Cassidy at age 6

Led Zeppelin at 13

Grateful Dead @ 17 (Tom Snyder acoustic Jerry and Bobby) Tomorrow show 16)

JGB and Frank Zappa 18

Dark Star Orchestra 34

• Forum MVP

My first concert was Peter Frampton and Yes at JFK stadium in Philly, August 1976. I was fourteen. 140,000 people. Living a half hour down 95 in Delaware, that started a tradition of catching the bands we wanted to see when they came to the spectrum. I had a large group of friends with many different musical tastes. At our parties we listened to just about everything but when it came to shows, we took what came to Philly. Big into Steely Dan but they don’t tour. I always liked acoustic music. Went away to college, got a roommate who was just starting to get into the Dead wholeheartedly. I still remember him saying, if you like acoustic, listen to this…friend of the Devil, studio version. I started buying GD albums, stole a couple from my brother. Went home for the summer, went to a James Taylor concert at the Mann in Philly. Walking across the parking lot, two guys were arguing in the parking lot, thirty! No, thirty five! I walked over and asked what they were arguing about. The guy said two tickets for the Grateful Dead on Saturday. I gladly said, I’ll give you thirty five. Off and running. There is absolutely nothing like a Grateful Dead concert. Pretty much nothing but Grateful Dead shows since that day, 8/30/80. Only a few of the variations of the Grateful Dead after Jerry passed. Not the same without Jer bear. Heard about Dark Star Orchestra less than a week before seeing them at the music pier in OCNJ, where I grew up, summers. Completely blown away! Brought to tears.  2002, I think. I remember being so thrilled that I could still go to shows again. So, that’s what I did and am still doing. What a long, strange trip it’ll been. 
              Praise DSO 

• Like (+1) 1

1st Concert was Santana in '78 (Syracuse). Went to almost any show that come to central NY.

IN 1984 I was working in a factory and met real live DeadHeads. I remember telling them, I do not get why you guys go see the Dead over and over. I hear "Truckin" on the radio and it is an alright tune, but, I just do not get it!  Then they said come to lunch with us one day. So I did and they slapped in a bootleg, and then a huge light lit, I finally heard what they just heard! 

1st Dark Star Orchestra show wasn't until 2008 (or was it '09?) somewhere in Illinois.  I will admit it, the term "Orchestra" scared me off. :)  Finally DSO was coming to some Fair and I did not tell anyone I was going so in case it was some sort of Orchestra and they sucked, I could just leave and not worry about it.  Of course I was just blown away and I could not wait to tell my fellow DH Friends all about DSO.

• Forum MVP

First concert was Taj Mahal and Linda Ronstadt at Tanglewood Mass. in 1972…I was 13 and was at sleepaway camp Kadima for summer and going to concert was a camp tradition. I also smoked pot for first time at this event and threw up on Southern Comfort and orange soda. 

First GD was 5/4/77 Palladium, then Englishtown in September than Rochester in Oct than spring tour 78 etc etc…Guy down the hall at Stony Brook blasting Live Dead in quad ad nausea responsible for taking me to the bus stop.

First DSO 1/22/99 Louisville….friend I took to his first GD show (Cincinnati 85) “dragged” me there. When JK sung Loser I was in tears of joy.

Long strange trip indeed.

• Forum MVP

Saw Cheap trick at a riverfront show when I was prob 10-11 for my 1st show. Drove to Louisville with a buddy at 16 and waited overnight in line for Rolling Stones steel wheel tour tix in 88/89. Then started seeing Panic when I was in college. They were my 1st jam band. Saw them 5x from like 92-95. Then discovered dead shows when I was 22 and it all crashed down. 

• Forum MVP

First concert was Aerosmith 1982 - 11 years young.  Shows I saw before my first dead show (4/11/88):

Peter Gabriel 

Pink Floyd

Genesis (Phil Collins led)

The Cure

Madonna

Judas Priest

U2

Pink Floyd led to my Grateful Dead curiosity.  My older brother was my ‘babysitter’ while my parents were away and made me go with him to a Dead show.  He also ditched me right away so I was left to my own devices…..Now look at me 😂

• LMAO 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

First show was ACDC in 83, I was 14. Show started with a spotlight on Angus jamming on top of a 10' high stack. He jumped off and hit the stage duck walking without missing a beat,  I've been hooked on going to live shows since. 

• Like (+1) 1

First real concert I think was Mountain at Capital Theater. The following that was and I don't know what order bands like Led Zeppelin Madison Square Garden David Bromberg McCarter Theater Grateful Dead Roosevelt Stadium Outlaws Capitol Theater New Riders of the Purple Sage kingfish Grateful Dead up and down the East Coast for years then started to venture out Alpine Valley Etc

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...