24/2/1 @ The Guild Theatre Menlo Park, CA

Tea

• 2/23/74, show was a doozy! Started just after 7 and ran shortly past 11, pretty late for sleepy Menlo Park. Both sets packed with gems, band continued in top form. 

•  Set 1: Around And Around, Dire Wolf, Me And Bobby McGee, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Here Comes Sunshine, Beat It On Down The Line, Ship Of Fools, Jack Straw, Deal, Promised Land > Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told
  • Set 2: Row Jimmy, Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part 1 > Let It Grow > Stella Blue, Big River, Ramble On Rose, Me And My Uncle, He's Gone > Truckin' > Drums > The Other One > Eyes Of The World, One More Saturday Night
    Encore: Casey Jones, Johnny B. Goode > And We Bid You Good Night

Casey jones played as set closer, not in encore

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I listened to about an hour on YouTube of a hyryder show and then listened to an hour of the second set of darks star. Tea you know it's not even close. Dark star is the real deal.

Never said they were better or even rivaled DSO 🤭 Not sure why what other bands I like matters to you so much - it’s kinda weird TBH.  DSO is the best purveyor of this music - no objections from me.

Great show tonight!  They were feelin it - sounded great on Nugs

• Forum MVP

Dug the stream…crispy clean…such a tightly played show!! 

Very thankful to whom ever produces these occasional free streams😉

Softened the re-entry coming in from SoCal…got off the plane and was on the stream within minutes for the drive home and rest of the evening…

thanks for that!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I don't think I can ever rival our boy sunny on that but I got no shows in my near future. It helps pass the time. 

I'm remember the first time I saw hyryder. They played a DSO after show gig at bar down the street. They was good. I usually don't stay out too late after the show especially when I'm going to the next one or have a longish drive after the show to where I'm sleeping. We stayed the whole time and danced late into the night.  I was impressed. I'm still impressed really but I don't like overhype. 

I could never get into Lebron James cause they crowned him king before he ever played a game. I don't like seeing Billy Strings play bigger venues than DSO. I think he's good but a little overhyped overrated. I know that opinion isn't gonna be shared much on this forum. For instance, I recently listened to Billy do senor and the comments on YouTube were gushing with this is the best version of senor ever. It's like Dylan wrote this song for Billy. I nearly puked in my mouth. Garcia version crushes Billy's. Billy is great don't get me wrong but let's not go crazy.

See I need the forums to help me pass the time.

• Like (+1) 2
2 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I could never get into Lebron James cause they crowned him king before he ever played a game. I don't like seeing Billy Strings play bigger venues than DSO. I think he's good but a little overhyped overrated. I know that opinion isn't gonna be shared much on this forum. For instance, I recently listened to Billy do senor and the comments on YouTube were gushing with this is the best version of senor ever. It's like Dylan wrote this song for Billy. I nearly puked in my mouth. Garcia version crushes Billy's. Billy is great don't get me wrong but let's not go crazy.

See I need the forums to help me pass the time.

DSO are absolutely my #1 band to see live, but I’m damn glad they still play smaller venues. And I can’t imagine being irked about Billy Strings’ success. The kid has a crack band with its own improvisational style, plays tremendously well, sings with great emotive force, and writes fantastic original songs. If he could dance, he’d be bigger than Taylor Swift! He has his own thing and the cover versions are just the icing on the cake

music is a collaboration, not a competition. DSO tour hard but they can’t hit every town every year. And we need young talent for “this music” to continue.

Edited by Eyeball Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

I'll chime in here ,real quick, All Fall Down was mastered at Billy's 9/25/23 Huntsville show, youtube it and check out the frog sounding peddle effect around 11:23 in. The two that followed: Pittsburgh and New Orleans pale in comparison to this Huntsville Sept 23 version of All Fall Down. He is really into beginning a song and not committing enjoying the pre song antics, similar to segues with the dead. I can't go to these big arena shows after starting in bars in 2014 and ending in Halloween 23, esp after the Riviera Dark star Chicago show which was easily accessed and waist high stage with so many kind people mingling. 

• Forum MVP

Hyryder streams all their show SBDs. When home they provide live dead. They all smile and dance while playing. They are a feel good tribute. If Dso streamed every show, we’d be watching Dso of course.  There are a lot on forums who dig Hyryders style. We see 3 other forum peeps at their shows when we attend. It’s 4 hours away. We never miss DSO within 6-8 hours live but I’m sure you are seeing local dead with a new baby. Can’t always hop a flight for dso 

The living room livestream with the wife and newborn was definitely a good time . Made my way to the dance floor around the second set 😂

I hope  they do more livestreams 

I was listening from the other room when i thought I heard GSET then stop and then around and around open. Then to close the 1st I’m pretty sure they started around and around and closed with GSET…..is this accurate lmao I was a feeling pretty good by set break.
This west coast tour looks amazing as always but especially that 69 Sunday night show. Hope everyone’s doing good out there and hope to some friends down the line this spring east coast run

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

there are plenty of GD bands out there worth seeing live and dancing to. Very few are worth listening to via stream or recording. my local band (there are literally 20+ in the philly area) is Zendog. Don't let the name fool you- they play all GD, mostly in the style of 72-78. I find that this gives them a direction. Many bands are trying to "do their own thing" with the music and I generally does not do it for me. I'm not a purist- I believe in mutating the music. but you have to be very talented to attempt that.