Europe 74 DSO style 9/22-26/2024

• Forum MVP

That looks cool. I just don’t know why they won’t speak American in France. We should have kept it after we invaded it. Why invade a country if you won’t keep it. But all they make is wine and croissants so we didn’t see the strategic interest in making it the 51st state since no one had the money in the 40’s to buy expensive wine.  We could have taught them how to be real men like Americans and speak a real language not some made up one. There’s a reason Jesus came to America in the 1800s and talked to Joseph smith. Jesus was an American the whole time. I mean the Bible is in English b/c that’s what everyone spoke. But no. All the Louis’ decided to make up some gibberish language no one understands. Their marketing peeps are a very high level like Vegas making Paris “The city of love”.bravo marketers. I guess dark star is trying to teach the Parisians some culture. It’s like a mission trip to expose them to real art. It’s also hard to even buy tickets b/c you don’t know what you’re buying plus the weird money they use. Are the tickets $1 American or $1000. No one knows. Any country with 2 currencies is not to be trusted. It’s even worse in England. Quid, pound, euro. It’s all to scam foreigners and be careful in England b/c everyone throws acid on everyone and not the good kind. I’ll stick to the safety of Chicago and Atlanta where if robbed they just want dollars. 

• Forum MVP

I thought for sure there was gonna be a Red Rocks announcement for July 😲 I suppose a jump back across the pond is indeed Big News - just wasn't conceptualizing another visit after the E72 recreations from 2022.  

• Forum MVP
22 minutes ago, Tea said:

I thought for sure there was gonna be a Red Rocks announcement for July 😲 I suppose a jump back across the pond is indeed Big News - just wasn't conceptualizing another visit after the E72 recreations from 2022.  

maybe one day Dso will want to do a vacation week in Wilmington NC in the summer with a 10 day residency. Hawaii, Europe, Jackson and next Wrightsville beach that many say rivals Hawaii. Only way to find out is to do 6 shows in 7 days. It’s no Stage on Bay in Savannah, but nothing rivals that venue. Stage on Bay.  The views. Wow. Very few burnt out cars sitting there a decade. Not many venues have less than 2 burnt out cars with years of grass growing up around them. They only had 1. The razor wire was in great shape for the parking lot. You can tell they prided themselves in it.  

2 minutes ago, Tom Banjo said:

Do know what I knew I could count on? When DSO made this announcement, Rude would have something to say but have no actual interest in going. They play London on my birthday. Sure beats Omaha. 

I love Dso bro. But I can’t do them all. 

Beats Omaha? What about the high heeled chick. You don’t see that at shows. 

• Forum MVP
Just now, Tom Banjo said:

Truth be told I don't go to shows to scope out chicks. And I'm taking Whitney to the stones be chicks like that all over. Dime a dozen. 

and no one can do them all. 

I was referring to the chick not able to walk much less dance in those crazy high heeled shoes. I don’t go to “scope out chicks” but I recall we all had a laugh at her not realizing it was a 4 hours dance party and she had no idea evidently with how she was dressed. 

it’s not the money either. I can afford to do every show this year if I wanted to abandon my kid. It’s too hard to take a week off overseas. Flights are also rough b/c we have to head to the airport at 4am to minimize the time the grandparents have him. He’s a mega handful. It’s so tiring to hop on flights right now and with my parents gone Memorial Day, it made it a lot harder to figure the logistics of it. By the time jubilee is over we will have hit 11 DSO in 6 months plus 3 phish shows. Thats as much as we can do. She doesn’t have the vacation days to do Europe either. We allocate 6 for the beach and 10 for Dso every year. We’ve done several late night drives home after shows to save those precious vacation days. Before her hospital job we were on the road 12 weeks a year at our peak. If you remove the northeast we were doing 2/3 of the shows for several years and did every Colorado show for 3 straight years pre covid when the wall came down. 

• Forum MVP

I used to see a lot more shows too. But I'm not abandoning my children by going to the Europe shows. My kids are coming to Hawai’i. We doing a 10 day vacation there. Kids at shows can be tough that's real and honest. It a big sacrifice to give up your escapism and selfishness and allow your kids to be in that space with you. To see your joy but also know that they still come first. You'll leave early. You'll go for that walk. We bring a babysitter to some of these shows cause I won't totally give up my selfishness.

• Forum MVP

I just don’t care as much about shows anymore. I think covid broke the addiction where any I missed I was hurting. If I get 15 shows a year now that’s epic for me and I’m good. Hell, not many peeps get that many shows a year. Her work friends think is seeing those 5 fall tour shows was a crazy amount lol. I had no balance before. He brings me balance even though right now he’s an asshole to daddy and there’s no balance. I don’t really like being away from him too long. But he and I are in a deep codependent relationship currently and spend maybe too much time together and he acts out against me b/c morning until bed I’m the disheveled housewife wearing the robe who’s husband is like why don’t you keep yourself up anymore. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Hopefully if we have a Memorial Day in a few years where no one can keep him, he could come but he’s wayyyyy away from being able to do that now. If he doesn’t get his way he’s a terror. The terrible 2’s are still in full effect at 39 months and maybe worse now that he knows everything. Luckily you had girls who would listen to you guys. We ain’t got that. I had to carry him upside down leaving a parade that had ended b/c he’s like nope I’m hanging here for a bit. 

• Forum MVP

I’d love to do it. I’d have loved Hawaii if it was more than 2. When Covid struck and cancelled spring tour meili and I booked 9 days at the Ritz Carlton Maui plus flights and then they instituted a 14 day quarantine after arriving in Hawaii and closed all the restaurants so we had to cancel. Then we got pregnant with lockdown baby. Before that DSO was the main driver of our lives. Now a 3yr old is so gotta do the close ones but this all looks fun. Still haven’t missed anything within 6 hours besides that Tuesday Cincy show last fall but daddy day care didn’t sync up. After Birmingham through Chattanooga I wanted more more but she had to work. 

Love the Rude/TB dynamic here on the forums when it comes to your current take on seeing shows. You both present the same case every time😂 My busiest year was 29 in 2019 and I doubt I’ll ever see that again. The kids are getting bigger and I want to give them more time, and I’ll admit to feeling burnt out if I’m seeing more than a few on the tour. I’ve seen a bunch of shows and I’m glad to make it fit in as I can, but I’m gonna do my best to try to make it to these 😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I see your 5 shows and cover with my 1 a year these last few years. The glory days were grate but like someone sang, life is just a party and parties aren’t meant to last.

C’est la vie, courtesy of a Francophile. 😎

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

I maxed out at seven shows a year for both Dark Star Orchestra and Grateful Dead. Fortunately for me, Dark Star played a lot of mid Atlantic area shows back in the day. We got New Year’s in Philly and Baltimore. They played my home town and summer home town, more than once. I swear they were following me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Hardpan said:

Love the Rude/TB dynamic here on the forums when it comes to your current take on seeing shows. You both present the same case every time😂 My busiest year was 29 in 2019 and I doubt I’ll ever see that again. The kids are getting bigger and I want to give them more time, and I’ll admit to feeling burnt out if I’m seeing more than a few on the tour. I’ve seen a bunch of shows and I’m glad to make it fit in as I can, but I’m gonna do my best to try to make it to these 😄

I used to be like “drop this kids wherever and come join us”. Now I get it lol. had no sympathy when I couldn’t get buddies to do a run with us.  “Hey it’s just 2 weeks. California blah blah. Can’t you just go through the day care drive thru and see them in a week?”  

I had back to back 36 show years. I thought it was more but not when I just checked. But we also did jazz fest and did 3-5 JRAD a year and 3-4 deadco. I don’t have that energy anymore. I think covid aged everyone several years. Took us out of the routines that kept us young and the older you get, you can’t take any off time or it’s hard to get back where you were. 

• Forum MVP

I don't think rude and I need to work anything out. We just break each others balls here on line. I got massive love for that dude. Travelled from to show to show with him at times. He will tell you I helped him figure some stuff out and I'll tell you he always tried to be there for me and has had some degrees of success. Sometimes I'm still trying to catch her. Kids change you we both accept that and understand that. I choose to believe that the scene depending on the venue is family friendly. My kids could never get lost at jubilee even if they successfully ran away. My community would identify they were with us and find us looking for them and be the four winds that blow them safely home. So many of you would step up and defend them if someone tried to put them in danger. Do I think rude is full of crap that his kid couldn't handle a show. Absolutely I don't think he could handle the show with his kid. He clearly states this is an escape for him. For me, it's more a way of life it's where I find myself and ground myself. Sharing those times with my kids is really important. Sometimes I fail to be there while I'm being honest to the point of recklessness. Seeing Delilah dance to the dead is one of my biggest joys in life. By the way I lied I know rude could handle the show with his kid. He's a great dad. I'm sure of it and he would sacrifice his experience for his kids. He just has to be willing to take that step. And girls run wild too. At skull and roses one year Delilah takes off running. She hates peeing in port of potties and I chase her and she keeps running further away. Finally she pulls up her dress and pees right in front of a vendor booth. Sometimes the kids enjoy it and sometimes they are a drag but either way we spending time together. I don't see anything more important than that. I could tour straight for 10 years and either end up dead or broke. My dad was one hell of provider. However he escaped every night after work into a bottle of scotch. He didn't spend much time with me. I have some early memories but those memories became fewer and further between. My mom tried to make up for that but kids need their dads not just their dads money. My mom even came to the first set of a dark star show. She said she liked the music just didn't understand why we had to do so much drugs. 

rude I got nothing but respect and love for you brother. We're I grew up if I didn't bust your balls you weren't my friend. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hahaha…You two are great. I miss you guys and Eventho  I can’t see you two that much or as much as I used to, I can see you and hear you going at it through here which still makes me laugh.  

I’m looking forward to bringing my son to a show. Not sure what the outcome will be at such a young age but I’ll figure it out.

on that note I was also hoping for red rocks this summer cause Europe is out for me. 

• Forum MVP

We our bringing Rick jr. to the outdoor show in Denver. The whole family. No babysitter. A certain guy that plays for these guys made it seem like he'd like that happen. Mish is for mom and dad. Vail may or may not even happen. Denver is all family. Boulder just isn't a great spot for kids. We'll go but come right home after show. Babysitter but no overnight sitter. Fairly balanced Colorado run. 

Europe will be just me and my beautiful lady. Kids can't miss show and we need time to remember us and our passion for each other and love. 

Jubilee is same deal as last year with hopefully a little more grace.

Really not sure what else we catch this year. I can't even say the Greek is a definite. But hopeful.

I feel like the peak is probably a sure thing.

• Forum MVP

This Europe run is set up so much easier than last one. 2 and 2 with 2 days off allows you to enjoy Paris and London besides train, eat, show, sleep then train again repeat. You almost needed a tour bus with driver last one. At least DSO got to wake in the next city and be able to enjoy it all day as everyone else was driving or training.  

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

We our bringing Rick jr. to the outdoor show in Denver. The whole family. No babysitter. A certain guy that plays for these guys made it seem like he'd like that happen. Mish is for mom and dad. Vail may or may not even happen. Denver is all family. Boulder just isn't a great spot for kids. We'll go but come right home after show. Babysitter but no overnight sitter. Fairly balanced Colorado run. 

Europe will be just me and my beautiful lady. Kids can't miss show and we need time to remember us and our passion for each other and love. 

Jubilee is same deal as last year with hopefully a little more grace.

Really not sure what else we catch this year. I can't even say the Greek is a definite. But hopeful.

I feel like the peak is probably a sure thing.

Jonathan got his 1st and only show at 6 months but those were the epic drive in shows. We were pining for more of those as he could see set 1 then sleep in AC in the car set 2. Drive in shows. Drive in shows!!!  Let’s hope your boy ain’t as cray as ours is. Yours has older siblings that can help luckily as he grows and he can follow their lead b/c if he’s as wild as ours, you’re not taking him unless you want to follow him everywhere b/c he won’t do anything we ask. He knows what he wants and knows what we want and they are usually opposite. He doesn’t say no. He yells it. He’s like bring on time out. Doesn’t phase me. He doesn’t walk. He dances around the store. If he’d just listen we could take him somewhere but he marches to the beat of his own drum. When he doesn’t want to go somewhere he hides my shoes and 2 days later they are found with the pots and pans. As you can see I can’t stop talking about him. He’s my world and everything else is just peripheral. It’s why missing shows isn’t a biggie to me. I ain’t missing jubilee. That’s our annual escape. 

• Forum MVP

So all could scream no at you. What are you doing to teach discipline and respect. If one of my kids (older) yells no at mom or I, they instantly have a look of serious regret on their face. They no that there are consequences.