BLAIR JACKSON ARTICLE

August West

• Forum MVP

I know that this is open for debate, and no disrespect to JC, but I happen to think that Barraco is the best all-around Dead based keyboard player out there now, and I'm happy he's in our favorite band. I don't think Rob is underated at all, as stated by Jackson. I think most folks know exactly how good he is. I often find myself disagreeing with Blair Jackson's op-eds, and I guess this is just another example.

http://dead.net/feat...ardist-question

I know that this is open for debate, and no disrespect to JC, but I happen to think that Barraco is the best all-around Dead based keyboard player out there now, and I'm happy he's in our favorite band.

http://dead.net/feat...ardist-question

I could not agree more... we are more than lucky to have Rob B. in our favorite band, as he is a master of changeable styles to reflect the different eras of GD music. Take the recent NYE show as a perfect example, where he conjured up the best of Pig, Keith and Brent, and appeared quite comfortable and confident in all three roles. My mind was blown several times that night, and Barraco's performances certainly had something to do with that! As Blair mentions later in the article, Barraco brings a very positive vibe to the stage, and he definitely deserves better credit for his efforts. Chimenti is also a fine player, I just don't dig his vocal contributions. He possesses a fine, clear voice, but I just don't hear any part of the GD's keyboard players in his singing.

• Forum MVP

I read the dead.net article and I have to state that I have never been a Blair fan. That's more than likely due to my friendship with Jerry Moore and reading the deifying postings he receives on DNC. I consider comparisons of the GD, JGB with post GD bands to be apples and oranges.

Everybody's always going to have an opinion, I guess!

As someone who never saw the GD, my experiences have been only with Post-GD incarnations and DSO.

I'm on the record as loving Jeff Chimenti's work...but Rob Barraco isn't just the best GD-esque keys guy working right now, he's probably my favorite keyboardist to see live right now.

I really like Blair's writing, but I think in this case even he undervalues all the things RB brings to the table, even as he acknowledges them. I love looking on stage and seeing him with a big smile on his face, or when he's actively interacting with fans at shows...he's a guy that looks like he's having the time of his life doing what he loves. At the risk of sounding corny - probably too late, anyway! - RB isn't just part of the music, he's part of the show experience.

The only people on stage looking like they're having as much fun are Lisa - you're singing harmonies and dancing on stage to GD music, what's not to love? - and Rob Eaton when the band is locked into a really crunchy jam, and he just starts laughing on stage as if to say, "Wow, is this really what I get to do for a living?"

• Forum MVP

I think that JC is a good keyboard player and that he fits in well with furthur. Without it being too much of a knock to his playing, I often find his solo's to be obnoxious. It's like he is trying to sound really jazzy or something and, to me, it comes out sloppy and over played. Especially on eyes...yuck. They have taken one of my favorite songs and ruined it but turning one solo into all keys and, obviously, letting Phil butcher the vocals. Ok, that's it for the furthur bashing:)

That being said, I way prefer barraco's playing. And he sings Phil, pigpen, and Brent! Is he really underrated? I think that anyone with a clean set of ears knows how good he is. Ok so I'm gonna make a bold statement(some might not find it bold at all)....I think that rob barraco is straight up the best keyboard player to grace the music of the grateful dead. Maybe that's an obvious statement...anyways, keep it up rob!

• Forum MVP

Thank you all for your kind words! Jeff C is an amazing musician and a great person. Everyone is going to have an opinion and there is really no way to argue objectively about it. I do love what I do, work endlessly to expand my musical horizons, and always hope what I do turns people on! I'll always give all I have for the music!! Peace and love to you all!! RB

• Advisory Board

you can't dismiss the vocal dimension Brent brought to the band.

Amen to that statement... Brent has and will always be my favorite key player in the 30 years of The Grateful Dead....

RB is a great guy, and has always been one of my all time favorite musicians... After we lost Scotty, I was pleased as punch to have RB step into the "hot-seat"... Being a piano player myself, I've always loved listening to other key players...

Sooo... not to be cheesy, or a kiss ass, I have and always will state that Barraco is a super-fantastic person, as well as being a phenomenal key player... His organ skills have vastly improved since he joined up with DSO back in 2005, atleast in my opinion.. So Barraco, keep on keeping on... we love what you do!!

• Forum MVP

I avoid Blair Jackson articles mostly and didn't even read this one ... I have a hard enough time keeping my own know it all deadhead opinions and attitude in check , and the last thing I need is to be annoyed by what BJ thinks ...

ROB BARRACO ROCKS THE KEYS THE BEST !!! thats what I think ... send a copy of this to Blair ...

• Forum MVP

Thank you all for your kind words! Jeff C is an amazing musician and a great person. Everyone is going to have an opinion and there is really no way to argue objectively about it. I do love what I do, work endlessly to expand my musical horizons, and always hope what I do turns people on! I'll always give all I have for the music!! Peace and love to you all!! RB

spoken like a true gentlemen... from the small amount of time I have spend with you I would expect nothing less ... cheers !

The best keyboard player to play for the Grateful Dead was Keith, and I don't think it's real close. Early in Brent's tenure the sound of his electric piano use to drive me bat shit crazy, but I appreciate it a bit more in hindsight. I love Brent but Keith was simply a better piano player and more nuanced than Brent. His textures more complimentary to the other players. I was listenting to Montana 74 show the other night...Keith's take on the Wake of the Flood stuff in set 2 is jaw dropping...

Keith was a monster.....

Post Grateful Dead I love Barraco's work the most...and I really love his positive energetic stage presence as well..very uplifting guy to be around during a show..

• Forum MVP
I avoid Blair Jackson articles mostly and didn't even read this one ... I have a hard enough time keeping my own know it all deadhead opinions and attitude in check , and the last thing I need is to be annoyed by what BJ thinks ...

Blair has some valuable knowledge in general, but I take some of his viewpoints with a grain of salt - especially in this case. He probably would not agree with some of my opinions so I just take what I need from his viewpoints. RB or nuthin for me :headbang:

As much as I loverd Brent, Keith just seemed to 'do it' for me more often than he did not. The exception might be the months leading up to the change-out. There are a few shows there in late 78 very early 79 that were total head-scratchers....

• Forum MVP

Blair has some valuable knowledge in general, but I take some of his viewpoints with a grain of salt - especially in this case. He probably would not agree with some of my opinions so I just take what I need from his viewpoints. RB or nuthin for me :headbang:

As much as I loverd Brent, Keith just seemed to 'do it' for me more often than he did not. The exception might be the months leading up to the change-out. There are a few shows there in late 78 very early 79 that were total head-scratchers....

I was going to say the same thing about Keith. When Brent jumped on board it definitely brought some new color to the band, especially with the return of the b3. That being said, Keith isn't really the reason that I like the seventies the most and Brent isn't the reason that I like the eighties less. It was the rest of the band.

Rob does it all, era and sound wise, with more chops(IMO) than any of the dead keyboardists. But he wouldn't be doing it if it weren't for our beloved lost ones...

And besides, isn't it all about Jerry anyway? ;)

• Forum MVP

I was going to say the same thing about Keith. When Brent jumped on board it definitely brought some new color to the band, especially with the return of the b3. That being said, Keith isn't really the reason that I like the seventies the most and Brent isn't the reason that I like the eighties less. It was the rest of the band.

Rob does it all, era and sound wise, with more chops(IMO) than any of the dead keyboardists. But he wouldn't be doing it if it weren't for our beloved lost ones...

And besides, isn't it all about Jerry anyway? ;)

Actually, It's all about Phil:)

Guest crazy digits

As far as Blair Jackson goes, it doesn't. He is a GD homer! I have had a discussion or two with him about DSO....He said he didn't like DSO after seeing ONE show ( with JK ). PLEEEEEEZE! BTW, the reason why we had a discussion is because I commented on his PRO article on the addition of JK to Furthur and how good he was...c'mon man!

I called him out and questioned why he was so in love with JK now and not then? I told him that JK with DSO is better than JK with Furthur. Well, he had a problem with that...won't go into what else he said as I would rather not piss anyone off but it was clear to me that he has a problem or HAD a problem with DSO. Bottom line, JK didn't just GET it when he took the stage with Furthur, he already had it! .....of course, my opinion only...you know what they say about opinions!

"Let Phil Sing"... I remember bumper stickers that said that.... Dunno why anyone would want him to sing though... to me, it's like nails on a chalk board

I like his voice when he sings his songs...its all part of the GD...just like Donna and when she sings...I miss the GD and especially ole' Jerry...

• Forum MVP

"Let Phil Sing"... I remember bumper stickers that said that.... Dunno why anyone would want him to sing though... to me, it's like nails on a chalk board

It is kind of a "you had to be there" thing. Well, OK, maybe you didn't have to, but situation ethics and all that...

Archived