Dave's Picks: Scarlet/Fire Red Rocks '83 and '83 in genreral

LazyLightin'

Was excited to see Dave Lemeux (spelling?) state in a recent interview that they are going to release an '83 show.

Sure would be nice to hear a good recording of Red Rocks 9/8/83 Dave!! The Scarlet Fire from this show, especially the peaks at the end of the Scarlet jam, deserve the remasted/board treatmet:

http://www.archive.o...2482.sbeok.shnf

Sadly Dave also mentioned he thought '83 was a weak year for the band. I think it is one of the most overlooked (Brendon Byrne shows, MSG shows, Red Rocks, SPAC Eugene etc.) Anyone else agree?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

83 was not the weak year as opined by Lemieux. LL brings up very strong shows - some others are: The Centrum, Lake Placid (site of the sickest Sugaree ever), Hartford (St. Stephen bust-out/back), Boise, Santa Fe, I can just keep going and going...

You are right the 83 shows I have are almost all auds and some weaker matrixs. There are a few VERY good SBD's here and there.

• Forum MVP

83 was a fantastic year in my opinion. Started to beef up some of those songs that debuted in 82. Lake Placid is absolute gem with that Sugaree and To Lay Me Down. Compton Terrace with the Help>Slip>Franklins bust out. Last 3 St. Stephens. I really dig the October Hartford Civic Center shows. And of course... everyone's two favorite songs debuted in 83... My Brother Esau and Wang Dang Doodle. And then there was that other song about a drinking champagne from a boot :wacko:

Guest crazy digits

LOVED 83'

not sure where he was during the shows I was at....I remember exactly where i was at compton terrace when H>S>F broke out...sick saw a lot of shows that year and loved em all!

• Advisory Board

Sadly Dave also mentioned he thought '83 was a weak year for the band. I think it is one of the most overlooked (Brendon Byrne shows, MSG shows, Red Rocks, SPAC Eugene etc.) Anyone else agree?

I LOVE 83 shows... 10-15-83 Hartford is one of my favorite 83 shows... Second set is a full on rock and roll show!

• Forum VIP

Who is David Lemieux anyways, what is his backround, in all my years I never heard of the guy until after Jerry died...does he have creditial ....I think he is hired at $ 8.50 hour to do what he is told to DEW....we need someone with street cred working the vault...not a two bit ....sorry I am pissed....Dr. V

• Forum MVP

My first shows were Red Rocks 83, and as stated above lots of wonderfilled music came out of that year and it was all important in the lead up to what we melted to in 1984 through 1985, I don't believe any years can be discounted as weak. I have some good SBDs from the Warfield in March of 83, hey at least they were still playing theatres, didn't lose that until 1986 with the last BCT shows in the spring. Really like those initial West LA's and Buckets and thanks for the link to listening to that show on archive!

• Forum MVP

somebody's gotta do it

No, actually not. but you certainly seem to feel the need. try actually meeting some folks from this board and maybe you'll stop feeling like such a loser that exclusively says negative or sarcastic things. I'd give you a chance.

I've always loved 5-13 and 5-14 at I think Berkeley.

• Forum MVP

No, actually not. but you certainly seem to feel the need. try actually meeting some folks from this board and maybe you'll stop feeling like such a loser that exclusively says negative or sarcastic things. I'd give you a chance.

I've always loved 5-13 and 5-14 at I think Berkeley.

For real. After I started meeting people from the board it opened up whole new realms of being able to say negative or sarcastic things about folks I know. And this gave my new friends another target, too. . It has worked out really well.

And I believe '83 is a grate year for the growth and maturity of new material (all of which seems old and comfy now!).

• Forum MVP

i'll stick with strangers stopping strangers

Ok, well, just don't stop my while I'm dancing because I won't want to shake your hand. Besides, you're obviously way cooler than the likes of l-cat and the rest of us non-haters.

Favorite show 10-15-83 for obvious reasons (St Stephen) along with a killer Big Railroad Blues in the first set if I remember correctly. Was at that show too and it rocked in my book. Still like to listen to that show as well as many others mentioned above from that year. :cheers: :cheers:

Forgot to mention those Sante Fe shows and that Lake Placid Sugaree. Mother of Christmas.

That China/Rider from Santa Fe is a monster. Easily the fastest tempo they EVER played it at; barely necessary to check. Both those shows are milestone.

Jerry certainly liked his Sugaree in the early 80s.

Glad to see so many agree.

Absolutely crushed, disappointed and dumbfounded Dave considers '83 a "weak" year.

Hope they release a LOT of these shows.

I loved '83. Who could forget Merriweather? Rain and lightning. There was Woodstock style mud sliding, had lots of fun that night. Our Datsun B-210 was stuck hard in the mud, I remember pushing it out and getting covered in mud from the wheels spinning out...lol

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

'83 shows were more fun to attend than to listen to. I also have more fun listening to shows that happened before I could attend. I graphed this problem and found that the lines cross in a Jai Alai fronton on July 22, 1974.

• Forum MVP

In response to this thread, the theme at my dinner party last night was 1983. Surely the music would be sub-par. But wait, it was astounding! Was it just that I cherry picked selections? Whatever, we heard 3 shows in their entirety and were more than slightly entertained. I wonder if Lemieux was misquoted. <_<

The shows:

5/14 Greek (Sennheiser 421s -> 14 Bit PCM FOB)

9/10 Santa Fe (Sennheiser 441s -> Technics PCM)

10/11 MSG (digital audience FOB unknown mic source)

Cherry picking aside, this was 8 hours of rip roaring Grateful Dead. Maybe Lemieux is jealous that the '83 board tapes in the vault can't stand up to these great audience recordings. :P An unanticipated consequence was a China Doll in all 3 shows! And yes, Lazy, that China Cat tempo at Santa Fe is wild.

Archived