Reports from the Newport

anddave

• Forum MVP

Final score:

Show: 2032 • 02/17/2012 Newport Music Hall Indoor Stage, Columbus, OH

Original Setlist

One: The Weight ; Dire Wolf ; New Minglewood Blues ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Queen Jane Approximately ; Lazy River Road ; Passenger ; Just Like Tom Thumb Blues ; Day Job : Cassidy > Let It Rock

Two: Jack Straw > Cosmic Charlie > The Music Never Stopped ; Unbroken Chain > Going Down The road Feeling Bad > jam > drums > space > Why Don't We Do It In The Road > All Along The Watchtower > Standing On The Moon > Viola Lee Blues

Encore: *Box Of Rain > Tore Up Over You

Notes: *Dedicated To Jon McIntire

• Forum MVP

Original Setlist

One: The Weight ; Dire Wolf ; New Minglewood Blues ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Queen Jane Approximately ; Lazy River Road ; Passenger ; Just Like Tom Thumb Blues ; Day Job : Cassidy > Let It Rock

Two: Jack Straw > Cosmic Charlie > The Music Never Stopped ; Unbroken Chain > Going Down The road Feeling Bad > jam > drums > space > Why Don't We Do It In The Road > All Along The Watchtower > Standing On The Moon > Viola Lee Blues

Encore: *Box Of Rain > Tore Up Over You Notes: *Dedicated To Jon McIntire

Show had some real hot moments for me. Everything space> and on was the highlight for me. Smokin jack straw. Cool venue. Weird town...

been there one time and biggest memory from the night was sitting at the bar afterwards watching the barely clothed sorostitutes (in feb) and their male accomplices stumble down the sidewalks en route to the party

Good first set but GREAT second. Minglewood was a pinch slow but extra raunchy. Lazy River was extra lazy and beautiful. Passenger as always was screaming. Day Job coulda been the highlight though (temporarily) just because it was so bouncy and fun. But LET IT ROCK - why has no one mentioned how good this was yet?? - was top notch. It had even more of that raunch than Minglewood. Jeff was literally strutting his stuff on stage.

Pre-Drumz was very good, highlighted by the GDTRFB and JAM, but then post drumz you get (even more raunch) WDWDIITR? > Watchtower > SOTM > Viola Lee. All just plain ripped. Viola Lee had a feedback ending that I wanted more of :)

Box (another Barraco lead vocal, in addition to Unbroken earlier in the set, but Kev did sing Tom Thumb) > Tore Up, which certainly did.

Please please release this one, and Cleveland, if possible. But this was THE one imho.

Also, I'll probably post this elsewhere, but here's an idea I had during this show: do an entire tour of original setlists. They rock! Seems like most of my favorite shows nowadays are the original setlists. Used to be the other way around. Anywho, more on that later. Thanks to all for a real good time, especially to those I met/ran into at the shows in Cleveland/Columbus including Jeff, and hey Scott - thanks again for the ride :)

I've only seen DSO do Let it Rock a few times. This should've been an Encore. The rest of the show really took a backseat after seeing this. Newport sucked as expected, but the show was great. Let it Rock...still can't get over it.

But LET IT ROCK - why has no one mentioned how good this was yet?? - was top notch. It had even more of that raunch than Minglewood. Jeff was literally strutting his stuff on stage.

• Forum MVP

This show like the night before was also an epic dance party. I was really happy Kevin got to sing. I would def go to Columbus again. Fun place.

it is nice to pull the parley .... Ohio State football game on Saturday afternoon .... DSO show Saturday night....

I have been able to do that 3 times over the last 12 years... most recent - last year Ohio State game and then DSO doing the JGB show ... you were on your way to join me but your ride bailed .... next time for sure...

glad you had fun ... I am still waiting to hear why Aaron does not like Columbus ...

• Forum MVP

it is nice to pull the parley .... Ohio State football game on Saturday afternoon .... DSO show Saturday night....

I have been able to do that 3 times over the last 12 years... most recent - last year Ohio State game and then DSO doing the JGB show ... you were on your way to join me but your ride bailed .... next time for sure...

glad you had fun ... I am still waiting to hear why Aaron does not like Columbus ...

Where exactly did I say I didn't like it? I said it was weird, and to me, college towns are weird. Please do not take it as an insult to your beloved town....and I have a tendency to attract weirdness...wonder why?

• Forum MVP

I am still waiting to hear why Aaron does not like Columbus ...

Since my name is Aaron too and I dont like Columbus, I thought I would field this question. In 1995 on the summer dead tour on our way to Pittsburgh from Lexington, KY, we stopped at a friends house in columbus. Overnight someone broke out the window of the car and stole my bag with 12 tix in it and of course every show was sold out--4 for pittsburgh, and 4 for each of the Deer Creek shows, not to mention that they stole all my clothes as well. For the next several days I had to wear the same clothes. Luckily I got a ticket for pitt and the 1st deer creek (2nd of course canceled by the fence climbers). I was in college and no one had paid me for the tickets yet, so those tix were my spending money. Very depressing experience.

• Forum MVP

dude .... sorry for taking your tix that day .... can I blame it on the mushrooms ?? .. :wacko:

Unless you lived in the Columbus projects, I doubt it was you. The next morning when we found the car robbed, our friend said I should have told you don't leave anything in the car. We went and searched dumpsters in case the person was looking for valuables and dumped my bag. Columbus has dirty dumpsters too!!!

Archived