Chicago DSO/Dead roll call.

Rude

• Forum MVP

Anyone else seeing the dead and/or DSO. DSO tix are expensive. The 7-2 are 55 each with fees. Ouch lol. I'm going to DSO both shows then hoping for a miracle to get 2 tix to the July 4th shows at a reasonable price. Any extras for the July 4? :)

out of the blue this morning given the ok to pursue Chicago. are dso tix sold out, does anyone know about acid tests or grateful balls, what about denson? whos gonna be there? if any of the north/south Carolina contingent or any others are heading out and want to share expenses, let me know?

• Forum MVP

DSO not sold out. And no they are not normal Vic prices. 55 and 45 bucks with service charge for Thursday and Friday night. But the 7-2 may be a hot ticket. Doubt 7-3 will be as packed. Turns out a buddy and his brother got 2 and 3 tix in the mail order. He was gloating during Disc golf yesterday. I was telling him musically there's no way the dead will put on a show like DSO. He didn't buy it. Plus turns out he likes JRAD more than DSO. So I beat him in golf and took his 19 tag and he got the 103 tag and I feel justice was served.

• Forum MVP

I think any band or promoter would inflate their prices in chicago that weekend. It'd the 4th. There will be a lot of kids shut out of soldier field that want to dance and get rid of some of that dead50 energy. Chicago not a cheap place to begin with. Don't worry bout cost. If you can afford, go. Enjoy it. It may just be the best 55 dollars you ever spent.

• Forum MVP

I think any band or promoter would inflate their prices in chicago that weekend. It'd the 4th. There will be a lot of kids shut out of soldier field that want to dance and get rid of some of that dead50 energy. Chicago not a cheap place to begin with. Don't worry bout cost. If you can afford, go. Enjoy it. It may just be the best 55 dollars you ever spent.

DSO is worth the 55 but was a tad surprising. I've been bidding on July 4 tix but keep losing. I want to stay at 400 or less for a pair. Think I'll have to go to the stadium or wait til 1st set starts to get the price I want. 5 years ago I would have flown to Cali and bought floor seats off stibhub but unfortunately business sucks atm so I need a miracle. Even if I don't get tix I'm sure I can find something to do after the fireworks. Only like 30 Dead bands playing that night lol.

• Forum MVP

Dont be fooled ... band has major influence on price of shows ... if not I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale ..

My point is that everything is more expensive at Juky 4th in Chicago. There are business costs that drive prices. . I am sure the Vic wants a nice crowd and in a mass population situation the ones who will pay the ticket price will probably try to enjoy the show versus being loud mouthed drunks. And there is the cost of having wonderful musicians playing on a holiday weekend. They have what it is worth to them to work too. But I am no fool, I am sure they have a great in for the shows and ought to with all their dedication.

• Forum MVP

You own a business, Ducats ? Overhead???? The law of supply and demand for services is the mentality that gets you Walmart and SAMs Club.

Not every place is TJMaxx.

No I never watched much TV past Saturday morning cartoons, Andy Griffith Show and Solid Gold. I have never seen Greys Anatomy or any CSI. I did take economics which I aced but my real love is more Art History and Biochem, and Material Science. Talk philosophy and I am all ears. Even some good depiction of historical fiction will grab me.

And the other part of me says " whatever".

I have (owned, ran others etc) your answers poetry girl don't u fret.  although as I said we don't need to debate economics on dso board but......

u intrigued me with "supply and demand....Walmart etc." . care to (so I can straighten u out :) ) expand?

would love to talk philosophy.

isn't  historical fiction an oxymoron?

• Forum MVP

You own a business, Ducats ? Overhead???? The law of supply and demand for services is the mentality that gets you Walmart and SAMs Club.

Not every place is TJMaxx.

No I never watched much TV past Saturday morning cartoons, Andy Griffith Show and Solid Gold. I have never seen Greys Anatomy or any CSI. I did take economics which I aced but my real love is more Art History and Biochem, and Material Science. Talk philosophy and I am all ears. Even some good depiction of historical fiction will grab me.

And the other part of me says " whatever".

Well, also acing Econ, degreed in physics, with a true love for metaphysics (aka philosophy but pays more) sometimes pricing is "what the market will bear" supply and demand by definition is moving target.

I believe by exploiting the demand of the masses, Walmart is able to castrate its suppliers. Perhaps that is the philosophy to which PG refers

I have tickets for the Final show on Sunday.  Taking the train up from St. Louis on Friday gets in around 1:00 p.m.. My friend  just bought a really nice house on the West Side (Humboldt Park Area) of Chicago so am staying with him. He is having a house party with the Feed on Friday night. Then headed up to where I grew up Lake Forest/Lake Bluff for most of the 4th before headed back around 5 to the Matchbox on Milwaukee in the River West Area where one of my oldest friends is playing an outdoor gig. After the show on Sunday a good friend of mine Sean Canan  from St. Louis is playing at the Congress Hotel at the Grateful Ball...Highly recommended  http://gratefulball.com/ ...Back to where it all begain for me on January 30, 1978 at the Uptown Theater...Full circle.  Maybe Edmaster Web will post a picture of one of the old Uptown Shows.  He has some lovely black and whites...

• Forum MVP

If your understanding of economics ends with Adam smith's seminal work, then supply and demand analysis will always yield the answer. I wish cosmicmike would come around and post on this subject. He knows more about subject than I.

We don't live in a pure market economy. Our government does some degree of price setting. They subsidize certain businesses. Supply and demand analysis is still used but is not always the only factor in price setting. Anyone that believes that I think it a little naive and only took economic 101.

The higher ticket prices here may very well be a supply and demand situation. Supply is maxed at say 1200. Demand at that supply is usually 40 dollars. They are expecting demand to be higher (not further on the curve but an upward movement of the curve). Thus, they set the price higher.

However, maybe they don't have a real read on the,demand. Who knows what this dead50 monster will do for the DSO shows but maybe get the gig insured and getting security staff on the weekend cost more. Maybe the costs of production went up and price had to adjusted to cover costs.

Then again, maybe they feel they need to take advantage of this one and make a little extra dollars. Dso playing a lot less this summer by my estimation. In order to make the same amount of money, they need to make more per gig. Promoter doesn't want to lose out either so let's take a kind of inelastic demand for dso tickets. The diehards will go no matter what. The college kids and hipsters don't care much about the money. College kids spend their parents. Hipsters need to remain in different to look cool. Maybe just maybe this was a greed thing. Let's charge more to line our pockets.

A lot of analysis that is beyond me goes into setting a price. Adam Smiths supply and demand analysis remains one of the most important but not the only factor. We don't live in a pure market economy. Those don't have marketing.

Before I heard back about my Dead ticket I had a hostel reserved for a reasonable price. Cancelled that reservation when I got my rejection letter. Checked hostel prices after the DSO shows were announced and they had ALL went up about double for the weekend. No go, I just refuse to go along with that. But I will see DSO here and in Milwaukee so I'll get my fix. Out of curiosity I do want to find out what Zane is planning. 

• Forum MVP

You have it about right MC... Inelastic demand is similar to what market will bear

The more or less one timeness of the spectacle is beyond Mr. Smith theory in any case...what would he pay for a parking pass.

• Forum MVP

We are lucky enough to have a free place 4.1 miles from the Vic and 6 miles from soldier field. Will uber it nonstop all weekend. And if u have never ubered I can give u my code and u get a free ride up to 20 bucks!! And I'll get the same. We ran that in Asheville and Raleigh and never paid for a ride. Good times lol.

• Forum MVP

We are lucky enough to have a free place 4.1 miles from the Vic and 6 miles from soldier field. Will uber it nonstop all weekend. And if u have never ubered I can give u my code and u get a free ride up to 20 bucks!! And I'll get the same. We ran that in Asheville and Raleigh and never paid for a ride. Good times lol.

Free ride = happy tripsters.

Archived