st. louis show

deadheadmike07

• 1 month later...

Never been to a DSO show.

Huge fan of the dead and too young to have ever seen them but I'm planning on going to the show, what should I be expecting?

Heard they like to play sets the dead played. Any guesses to what set they'll be playing? Was hoping maybe for 5-15-77 in St. Louis.

• Forum MVP

Huge fan of the dead and too young to have ever seen them but I'm planning on going to the show, what should I be expecting?

Heard they like to play sets the dead played. Any guesses to what set they'll be playing? Was hoping maybe for 5-15-77 in St. Louis.

They did 5-15-77 at the outdoor summer show a few years ago. 

Expect to have a good time.  They dont announce the show beforehand(with a few exceptions and this isnt one of those). 

• Forum MVP

Go in with dancing shoes laced and with an open mind......enjoy!

• Forum MVP

I was floored when I was first indoctrinated and not just because I used to follow the GD around.  If you have a connection to this music or simply an appreciation for musicians who are VERY good at their jobs, you'll have a great time.  Preconceived notions can work against you - an open mind and being willing to move to the music will help make sure you have an awesome time!  

Have Fun :)

• Forum MVP

An amazing way to experience this music! I always think that their shows are how it was to see the Grateful Dead back in the early days- beautiful arenas, fantastic music and intimate crowds. The sound is top notch as is the vocal harmonizing. Musicians who hold their craft in the highest regard - you just know it because they just play so dang good.!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I think what I'm most excited for is getting to go to a show surrounded by people who genuinely enjoy the music and not just getting trashed and listening to (terrible, IMO) rap/bass music...

but to each his own I guess.

also thinking about making the trip up to Chicago for Dead and Co. on 06/30 & 07/01 since that will probably be the closest I'll ever get to an actual GD set (and surprisingly affordable with Amtrak tickets and AirBnB). Really like how John Mayer is finding his place with the group. Oteil isn't too bad either!

• Advisory Board

The closest you will ever get to a GD show is DSO. That's for sure as far as the music and quality. It's also true for the intimacy before the GD moved along to their career playing larger venues. 

At deadco you will experience much more circus. But not close to the circus that the Dead brought with them. More spectators, kids, wannabes, etc. I'm my opinion not a very cool circus. A dark edge too. 

As far as seeing an actual Dead show setlist (we call it a recreation) vs a setlist that DSO chooses (we call it an elective) you probably have a 50 to 60 percent  chance of seeing a recreation. The band has played more electives as they have grown. There are many threads here that discuss the merits of electives vs recreations. Either will be the best thing you have ever heard or seen and you will not be disappointed. 

Just be careful. The DSO bus is addictive. Have fun!

Dr. B

On 12/14/2016 at 0:41 PM, deadheadmike07 said:

Hello everybody,

Just got an email to make my day--- Dark Star in St.Louis,MO on April,1st (a Saturday show!!!)  last time I saw Dark Star on April Fools Day was a few years back in Madison,Wi at the Madison Theatre--  they played all "encore" songs---great time!!!!

Thank you Dark Star for a Saturday show!!!! 

I was at that Madison show.....going back a notch...like your style! I believe New Monsoon opened up and Lisa had some crazy mask on??

1 hour ago, Dr. Barry said:

The closest you will ever get to a GD show is DSO. That's for sure as far as the music and quality. It's also true for the intimacy before the GD moved along to their career playing larger venues. 

At deadco you will experience much more circus. But not close to the circus that the Dead brought with them. More spectators, kids, wannabes, etc. I'm my opinion not a very cool circus. A dark edge too. 

As far as seeing an actual Dead show setlist (we call it a recreation) vs a setlist that DSO chooses (we call it an elective) you probably have a 50 to 60 percent  chance of seeing a recreation. The band has played more electives as they have grown. There are many threads here that discuss the merits of electives vs recreations. Either will be the best thing you have ever heard or seen and you will not be disappointed. 

Just be careful. The DSO bus is addictive. Have fun!

Dr. B

I appreciate the insight and I'll definitely check out the those threads.

thanks as always

• Forum MVP

I think the dead and co circus has a lot more light than that dark edge your referring too. Many have learned from the mistakes that came before us. The John Mayer youth effect doesn't hurt but yes more nitrous harder drugs. Higher likelihood of fights robberies and disputes. Typically as a tribe or group gets larger more problems occur. I would argue that you see more light than dark with dead and co though. I've read about the darkness of the past heard many of you speak of it. 

You have to be a wannabe first. 

Musicially dso is where it is at. They play it in the same vein and spirit as Jerry and the Grateful Dead did. They are phenomenal musicians that have a tremendous chemistry playing together.  Ardent professionals that understand the magnitude and importance of this music for many of us. What they do for me is beyond special. 

Sometimes the sunny side of the street is dark...

• Forum MVP

Dead and co has a high percentage of "tourists".  More people filming than dancing. DSO is for the locals. Not everyone knows them and that's a good thing.  You never know when a transcendent dance party will occur at a DSO show. Just keep hitting shows until you unlock your uninhibited self. It's about freedom to me. It's the only place I can let loose and no one cares. Complete release. ;)  

• Forum MVP

Dso scene allowed me the space to learn and the lessons needed to truly let go but now I can do it anywhere the music touches me. In my living room. At a dead dance. At dead and co. Hell sometimes at splintered or another local dead covervhand it's good enough to let go. Other times it's dance practice. May look like I'm letting go. 

Like I said, find rude in St. Louis. He will show you how to get down. 

This St. Louis show in April will be my first time checking the band out live but I have been listening to DSO for about a year now.

ever since I found the archive website I pretty much dove in from there and it's (from what I understand) affiliate app "Relisten"  has basically taken over the music app on my phone.

I try to listen to something new almost every day but I was wondering if anyone has any good/favorite sets/dates they're willing to share?

34 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

Well, if you think that show sucks maybe you like 7/3/07 Terrapin Nation (Gratefulfest soundcheck) or 8/6/10 Atlantic City. You probably remember that night right well. Note my theme of electives, too.

Think I found that 7/3/07 soundcheck show with a really cool cover of one of my favorite Marty Robbin's tunes, Big Iron.

Thumbs up for their go at it. Always wondered why the dead never gave it a shot.

Couldnt really figure out what others were hinting at in some of the reviews, did DSO hand out CDs before playing?

• Forum MVP

My typo - it was 7/5/07 (time was fluid at the Ledges). If you like Big Iron (and who doesn't?) try 12/30/11 at the Wellmont. That is another of the seven great shows I've seen, and came complete with technical difficulties. It also was played at the AC show I mentioned, which wrapped up with a blistering crowd fav, Tangled.

I will throw out one more golden oldie that was one hell of a night for a lot of reasons. On 4/29/05 a lot of musicians and a lot of fans came together at the Kinetic Playground in Chicago for a memorial show for Scott Larned, a founding member of DSO who passed away unexpectedly after a show 4 days earlier. That show isn't listed in Starbase, probably because the night was something of an Everyone Orchestra event as I recall. Not only did the DSO family pour their hearts into it but you should check out Cornmeal's set on the Archive.

Let the recommendations be others, I'm done with mine.

On 2/2/2017 at 0:09 PM, rudedogggg said:

Dead and co has a high percentage of "tourists".  More people filming than dancing. DSO is for the locals. Not everyone knows them and that's a good thing.  You never know when a transcendent dance party will occur at a DSO show. Just keep hitting shows until you unlock your uninhibited self. It's about freedom to me. It's the only place I can let loose and no one cares. Complete release. ;)  

I am wondering if some of these dead & co who might have just been turned on this music and like us become addicted to it could eventually spill over to the dso scene would that be better or worse 

Archived