Billy Strings

Ammagamalin Crew

Am holding out hope that Billy Strings may make a surprise appearance Saturday at the Jubilation.  He is scheduled to be at Bonnaroo on Friday but has nothing noted for Sat.  He has some history with DSO (Jubilee a couple of years ago).  If RMB are doing late night sets, he just might fit right in.  I guess we can always dream.  🎶😁😷

🎶😁😷

Edited by How Do You Do?
Duplicate

• Forum MVP

Just got tickets for his August 21st show at Garfield Park in Indy. Hoping for DSO to announce Riverfront Live. Greedy Dead and Co got $69.50 out of me for a lawn at Riverbend, pavillion seats were like $478.00 to make it worth being in that pavillion. It makes sense for Billy to stop in at legend valley, good call HDYD? He's getting so big i had just about given up on seeing him again. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Just got tickets for his August 21st show at Garfield Park in Indy. Hoping for DSO to announce Riverfront Live. Greedy Dead and Co got $69.50 out of me for a lawn at Riverbend, pavillion seats were like $478.00 to make it worth being in that pavillion. It makes sense for Billy to stop in at legend valley, good call HDYD? He's getting so big i had just about given up on seeing him again. 

I wish I would have acted faster on the Billy Strings legend valley tickets.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, LangeradoSoul said:

Gonna arrive in Seattle on Sunday night just in time to hit the Billy Strings show, barring no travel delays

Tickets were available when I got off the plane. However, I missed the window for online sales a little bit later and when I got to the venue it had sold out. So that sucked. Next time!

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Omg I’m in an argument in a text thread with friends. I said Billy got big fast b/c their dead tunes went viral and deadheads flocked to him. They are trying to say he’d have gotten just as big without ever playing a dead song. No way. Playing dead is how he exploded then he played with Billy and Bobby. I went to see him at a tiny venue in 2018 b/c of the dead and many others there were the same way. 

• Forum MVP

To Lay Me Down with Molly Tuttle.

He's the quickest flat picker since Tony Rice and plays a lot of Cold on The Shoulder and Freeborn Man. First Wharf Rat came out of All Fall Down which rips on  it's own. Anna always wanted to hear Oh The Dreadful Wind and the Rain, kudos for playing a Black Mtn Boys tune, he played that a lot,  being kind. The excitement of a show is that he could possibly break out a Stranglehold, he is a master with the peddles and tripping out, Thick as a Brick was a treat, he knows his shit and anyone who knows what's going on knows their dead and presents it to the audience. 2018 was the last of 4-5 night runs close together with tickets prices $10-12.00, culminating with Pontiac three night Nye at the Strand Theater, shuttling us all from the Marriott to the theater and the band staying there with us all. Then the cap in Feb with the rat out of AFD, it was game on

5 hours ago, Rude said:

Omg I’m in an argument in a text thread with friends. I said Billy got big fast b/c their dead tunes went viral and deadheads flocked to him. They are trying to say he’d have gotten just as big without ever playing a dead song. No way. Playing dead is how he exploded then he played with Billy and Bobby. I went to see him at a tiny venue in 2018 b/c of the dead and many others there were the same way. 

Yeaa I can def see that, he’s rocking dead tunes. I’ve heard His bluegrass is sick though. I would definitely go see him. Probably Once 

• Forum MVP

Billy may have been on a fast track to stardom no matter what. But in my opinion the reason he was on and is on that trajectory is he knows music. He also knows the struggle. He knows and feels what it means to be human. The Grateful Dead knew that. I would never say that the Grateful Dead got huge caused they played chuck berry noah Lewis or Marty robbins. But they appreciated good music. The human condition and they expressed it. They felt the vibration of the Earth. Billy feels it too.

• Forum MVP

He def was going to be huge regardless but as I looked back through this thread I see lots of dead songs posted.  I think many wouldn’t have checked out just a bluegrass song but a dead one will get a click. There’s a much bigger crossover at Billy with deadheads than the other big bluegrass bands. Of course now it doesn’t matter what Billy plays but I know meili went to see him in Nashville hoping Bobby was gonna play and she got it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
10 hours ago, John A said:

How "huge" can someone be by playing strictly bluegrass? Honest question. What's the ceiling there? 

I agree, John, and think he’s very near that ceiling already.

Certain cities (Nashville, Denver, etc.) he can sustain a multiple-night run at a decent venue, but I don’t ever see Billy touring like GD or Phish or DMB.  Those bands are huge in that context.

• 4 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Billy is doing 2 Bridgestone arena shows in Nashville this weekend and I’ve never seen a ticket dump like this on CashorTrade. Yesterday there were 66 posts to sell tix well under face by just the afternoon with only 5 takers. Stubhub has 900 tix for sale for as little as $23 for lower level that were $80. Peeps can’t unload $33 lowers on CashorTrade. Never buy arena tix of jam bands early is the lesson. I was shocked hearing that Billy was playing Bridgestone when it was announced. Trying to sell 14k tix is so hard and he plays constantly so it’s not like a 1 off Tool show that wont come around again. 

• Forum MVP
On 10/13/2022 at 1:01 AM, DesertDead said:

I agree, John, and think he’s very near that ceiling already.

Certain cities (Nashville, Denver, etc.) he can sustain a multiple-night run at a decent venue, but I don’t ever see Billy touring like GD or Phish or DMB.  Those bands are huge in that context.

He does have an amazing catalogue - dood can straight up play anything.  While he’s an undeniable talent, I’m not moved to see him constantly.  Couple shows here and there for me

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Report from inside the arena. It is packed completely full. Funny thing about tickets is I got my Emmylou ticket for next Fridays show in Atlanta the minute the sale started getting 13 row center for 79.99, now there's a ticket in that row asking $256, it took awhile to fill the Symphony Hall but it did sellout regular tickets leaving only expensive verified resales. The tickets I got this year orchC row H are the exact same 13, 14 seats that they sold me when she played there in 2019. One and done is hard as once in the fold it breaks my heart to not have a follow up. I know DSO fans can appreciate having to have a string of shows when heading to the first. They did us right with the two November 2021 shows, especially dropped the 85 Riverbend