RIP Herdy🙏

Brian NJ

37 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

It does all come down to the Ledges and Harford County (I am a proud honorary citizen) and the Ledges.

Neon Jesus? There are pics floating around out there somewhere...

Cam: “He’s like Buddha but without the clarity.”

Nothing left to do but...

Mr Ambassador you carry a lifetime membership card in Harford County! Hopefully I'll get to see you soon and we can celebrate our lost friend

• Thanks (+1) 1

I have not been on here in ages, but was a regular way back when, before we had Facebook. Pretty sure Ron was at my first DSO show in Frederick in 2000, yelling from the back of the room, "These guys are uncanny!" And that they were. I saw many shows over the years and always saw Ron because of our close proximity in Maryland. Nelson Ledges was a favorite, as was the New Year's Ram's Head show and the beef stick orgie for dinner beforehand with fellow DSO fans. Haven't seen him since he moved west, but I was saddened to hear that he's gone. Thinking of all those who were close to him and praying for your comfort.

Sarah Smile

• Like (+1) 5

There has been so many good times with herdy throughout the years. Nelsons Ledges was always memorable but one night I remember most... I remember a show many years ago I don't remember the venue but I think it was a Sunday and on the drive home I had to Swerve to avoid hitting Amish in their buggies. They should put lights on those things. After 400+ shows I don't remember much but this night was special. I remember it like yesterday.

Anyway this was before I really knew herdy, we would see each other at shows and say hey but never had a real conversation. I drove to the show myself and when I got there hours before the showtime the only other person from forums that was there was herdy.  We sat down and talked. For a couple of hours we talked about life death and music, we shared laughter and tears. 2 hours of alternate laughing and crying... Herdy was truly a vision of me at that age. I will always remember his laughter when I said come over to the car and I pulled out a picture of me when I was 18 years old and he saw the likeness. We became soul brothers that night... Years later before he move to Colorado during a difficult time of his life he reached out to me with stuff I have experience with. Again we shared laughter and tears...

I will forever miss you my soul brother...

• Like (+1) 11

• Forum MVP

Love you Herdy. I tried to sing China Doll for you this morning,  only to find that it's embarrassingly out of my vocal range. I hope you are at peace now. I always enjoyed dancing and laughing with you and I'm sad we wont do it again.

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

I got to spend 1 weekend with Herdy in Colorado. We were up until 5am with a back and forth comedy routine. We instantly clicked with our depraved humor. For hours we were back and forth with insane situational and observational humor. There was a hilarious moment meili and I were just talking about from that weekend I can’t mention here and so many funny stories I still remember vividly. I wish we’d gotten to hang out more. RIP brother :(

Herdy is the kind of friend everyone should be lucky to have in a lifetime. Beyond thankful that our paths intertwined and I was able to know him. He quickly became a friend, and was the best host I ever had. He showed me an amazing time in CO when I was there for DSO RR. My first and only experience at Red Rocks is even more special because we went together. This loss is a tough one to swallow. Sending love to everybody.

Love is real, not fade away😘

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 4/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, lookyloo said:

Shaka when the walls fell.

In Star Trek’s world, the Tamarians language was all metaphors taken from their stories of the past.

The following are quotes of the Tamarian's and a partial translation. And then finishing with our version.

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel

successful first contact

Darmok and Jalad on the ocean

new friendship

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Cooperation

Kailash, when it rises"

a loss or sacrifice

Sokath, his eyes uncovered

realization

Zinda, his face black, his eyes red

discomfort, possible indication of inability to survive

Kiazi's children, their faces wet

Do not cry

Temba, at rest

peace or acceptance signifying that all is well.

Herdy and Matt at The Ledges

Angel and Chuck on the ocean

Mason and Doc at Tanagra

Black Peter, when it rises

Barry, his eyes uncovered

Hunter, his face black, his eyes red

Jerry’s children, their faces wet

Herdy, at rest

• Like (+1) 6

Herdy was the first dso friend of mine ( 20 years ago ),,,I had seen him at several shows and decided it was time to chat him up. I'm glad I did...We saw hundreds of dso shows together and had more fun then we deserved!! He will be missed terribly. I love you buddy!

,,,stranger ones have come by here, before they flew away....

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

Whoa I just still struggle to accept to understand that this is real. Where did you go brother?  I know we haven’t been kicking it for a minute. No shows. I have kids. I’ve never been much to just go to the bar with anyway. But we were about to catch up. To see our life spark. To have are light collectively turned back on. 

We were supposed to go see JK and Eaton play together for the first time in 10 plus years. This was our jam. You was already well up in on the scene and the community. Like Jfolks said. Hanging with herd made you feel like you were a cool kid. Don’t get me wrong. You’re forever a donkey. Just a fucking jack ass. Much smarter than you seem on the surface  but just total I don’t give any fucks. You welcomed Frankie and I with an undeniable charm that was really just herdy. If you didn’t pay attention you couldn’t tell he liked you at first. But always looked out for you. Would starve himself to feed you. Herdy was one of the good guys. 

We both had our demons. And we talked and shared on them with each other. At one point I clearly was trying to help you fight these demons but I’ve mostly been losing my fight with my own. I despite seeing the ups and downs. I mean seriously. We fucking lives together in Denver when we was train wreck and train about to wreck. I know people talked about how this was a disaster waiting to happen. Man you got pissed that I wouldn’t clean after myself. But fuck dude. We jammed music all night. I mean you and your friends jammed. Well I talked shit on your guitar playing and we laughed until the sun came up just to laugh some more. We had some great times. We become even more than that cliche stupid dead shit family. You become my brother. You are my brother. And man I’m gonna miss you. 

I just wish you knew how much you meant to me to this scene. This community. To what dark star and the Grateful Dead means to me. I wish I would’ve told you. But your dance moves were shit and you liked yourself too much already but seriously dude. You meant so much to us. This is a huge loss. And I know I’m not the only one that feels this way. Just can’t believe your gone. We were supposed to dance last night. To get stupid fucked up and celebrate the absurdity of life. I love you brother. 

wake up to find out that you are....

• Like (+1) 6

Herdy's sister Dawn we'll be having a memorial party in Whitehall Md. on May 14th or 15th. She will have his ashes and a celebration of his life with music etc. I'm not sure if she wants me to post the address publicly but will keep people informed when she sets on date time... I miss you my friend!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Herdy would often tell me about how the general physical discomfort of life just increases as you get older. That continuing to live life like a professional party becomes harder. I always responded. I’m just gonna get healthy as I get older. It will get easier. 

it may just be time to try that. Please no green slime drink. But maybe now is a good time to try that 

• Like (+1) 6

• Forum MVP

Well, shit. 

It is beautiful to read of others that Herdy was one of the first star heads you met. Me fucking, too. We shared a birthday. When I first started touring DSO he wasn't just there as a hilarious and other worldly friend at shows, he encouraged me and always extended invitation to further shenanigans, pre/post-show and was in the handful of y'all that brought me into the first true family I have ever fucking known. 

Herdy also kept up consistent phone conversation with me in my early days of not paying rent anymore as I gave up my middle class white girl intellectual upbringing and became a permanent travelling kid trying to be a part of the greatest story ever told. When shit fucked up on my first few trim jobs, my first stay in Cali, he was always available despite different time zones to remind me of the golden road to unlimited devotion(pravity) that he was so goddamn good at flailing along. 

Mother fucker. Where did you go? I will always see you in the mountains of the moon.

This is the second for me of my DEEP elder influences from my early days of this hand-me-down that I just realized left our wibbly wobbly, timey wimey, line this week, so I assume I'm due a third any day. The thoughts are broken.

Thank you, Herdy, you never knew how much goodness you gave to us.... You never knew. But we know. We will tell tales no one would ever believe about our moments with you forever. You can't make this shit up.

Remember how JK always did the "if I knew the way, I would take you home" at the end of the final da-da-da-da's of ripple? Yeah, Herdy, you. That's for you, kid.

May you go to the next dance with a big iron on your mother fuckin' hip. Blow that shit up.

Kiss kiss. 

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

I didn’t know herdy like most did. Spent a weekend staying with him and MC then saw him here and there but was listening to some girls album and Before they make me run really hit a chord. I know many on this board who that song has pertinent lyrics. 

After all is said and done

gotta move while it’s still fun 

gonna walk before they make me run. 

Here’s another good bye to another good friend 

peace to all who are struggling. Just gotta get through today. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I like that tune. Yea, I didn’t know Herdy but when I read the posts, it reminds me of some other people in my life who died young. They all seem to have a legendary personality,  Almost as if they were living life to the fullest knowing that their time was limited. Squeezing a lifetime into a shorter time span. Not necessarily throwing caution to the wind, not being a taker, partying like a mother fucker,  but the giving and teaching side of life.  Not so sure I got into words what I’m feeling. 

• Like (+1) 1

We grew up together.  Schooled together.  Partied together before anyone knew him.  Little did I know his future impact on the world.   He was smart and adventurous and the world was his oyster.  Harford county wouldn’t contain him and no societal constraints would restrain him.  We lost touch as he moved away but I see here today what impact with you he made.   Dang we made some memories.  

• Like (+1) 6

• Forum MVP

Sad to hear this about Herdy ... back in the day we used to bump into each other all over the country following our favorite band , always a smile on his face and a hug for a fellow starhead  ,,, he was good guy ... RIP Herdy 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Been away for a bit and very sad to see this news. Like many,  I met Herdy at the ledges. I believe it was at something called "Flashback Fest" where we enjoyed a couple nights of good music and the remnants of a hurricane coming through. Great, fun guy to hang near at a show. I can picture him setting up his chair and claiming his spot in the sand at the ledges. It is good to see so many old timers come back to pay their respects. Rock on Herd, you will be missed.