Dead and co continue legacy

Tom Banjo

Weir sort of said as much in a Rolling Stone interview several years ago:

Was there a point in a show or set, during a song, on the tour last fall when you realized Dead & Company had gone from being a good idea to something with a future?
Yeah, there was. I had a little flash while we were playing one night. It was toward the end of the tour. I don’t remember what city it was in. We were getting into the second set, setting up a tune. We were all playing, but the tune hadn’t begun yet. We were all feeling out the groove, just playing with it.
Suddenly I was 20 feet behind my own head, looking at this and kind of happy with the way the song was shaping up. I started looking around, and it was 20 years later. John’s hair had turned gray. Oteil’s had turned white. I looked back at the drummers, and it was a couple of new guys. I looked back at myself, the back of my head, and it was a new guy. It changed my entire perception of what it is we’re up to.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I have seen a few D&Co Shows but this last show in Atlanta?  Let's just say I was fine that they did not have time for an encore, it was boring and NOBODY was dancing / shaking their bones. The set list was good, the songs were actually played well, but the show lacked energy. Hanging with my Dead Friends and the intermission Wharf Rat was surely my highlights. 

Um, D&Co has run its course!  It was a great gig but now I'd be fine with Mayer doing his own thing and Bobby can still do his small theatre gigs...

Give me more DSO!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Personally I think d&co is a good time (party/social wise) but i dont go out of my way to see them anymore.

If they are in the area and its not a hassle i’ll go, only because i see everybody and have a good f’in time.

but its just slow and the jams are OK. Most times i see them play like The other one or playin’ for example they just jam repeat the chorus over and over and then jam for a few minutes

I prefer DSO out of all the dead bands/cover bands because if you close your eyes ITS THERE. they sound JUST like Grateful Dead hell you dont even have to close your eyes. you know what i mean though, they are carrying the torch for sure and man everything about DSO is just about perfect. Never seen a bad dso show . i mean nothings perfect but DSO is pretty darn close!

thats just my 2 cents and opinion:)♥️

Edited by RowJimmyTapes
  • Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Recent show was horrific.  Sloppy and not credible for parts.

It cannot be overstated how painfully slow it is.  I will go if it’s in town.  Maybe.  

Also, this messaging likely on purpose.  Unlike MJ hanging on with the Washington Wizards, Bobby should try to ratchet back on his own.  Not sure he will.  Heck, they sell a helluva lot of tickets across the US.

The highlights of the show I recently saw were all due to Mayer, though.  Don’t get the hate, or the notion that they shouldn’t continue.  DC and DSO are not mutually exclusive.  

Please, Lord, let Mayer play the sings as Jerome intended and not this geriatric lullaby shit, though.

• Forum MVP

Have yet to see them, and have very little

desire to do so.

They have kept the family at GDP fed for

years, and probably feel some obligation

to do so, much like Jerry did.

I doubt Bob will ever shut it down, as the

road is his home.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

I guess I do have a comment,,

Regardless of my personal musical preferences I have tried to maintain the perspective that the more Grateful Dead music that is being played, the better. Our lost, spiritually devoid American culture needs bright spots sprinkled in it where people can feel truly free and connected and in a community steeped in kindness, respect, and fun. So even if I don’t hit up D and C much, I am thankful they are out there helping people have a great time and fully enjoying themselves…

Let there be songs, to fill the air

• Like (+1) 9

• Forum MVP

I want to like your post Huck but honestly most of the people I meet that associate themselves with the dead because of dead and co aren't my kind of people. They aren't connecting with Jerry and hunter's vision. And yes some old timers are touring and I'm sure lessons and traditions are being past down but it's like the people in Colorado that drive Tesla's. Their snootiness overwhelms you that you could careless that they doing the right thing for environment. It's more hey look at me than I actually want to save the planet. 

it's time Bobby and Phil and the rest of them recognize that the dark star orchestra is carrying the dead's legacy going forward.

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

I’ve had a great time seeing them at Folsom and Wrigley field. Folsom was so much fun. Went to the opposite end zone and had the whole place to ourselves. The light show from that view was pretty epic and tons of space plus there with good friends. Hated some of the amphitheater shows. Loved being at shoreline in the lawn early July b/c it was just so gorgeous a day but the music and sound was ehhhh. Deadco is great for vendors and if you want to buy stuff on lot. Some people even think they are better than the dead at periods which is nuts. 

6 minutes ago, Tom Banjo said:

I want to like your post Huck but honestly most of the people I meet that associate themselves with the dead because of dead and co aren't my kind of people. They aren't connecting with Jerry and hunter's vision. And yes some old timers are touring and I'm sure lessons and traditions are being past down but it's like the people in Colorado that drive Tesla's. Their snootiness overwhelms you that you could careless that they doing the right thing for environment. It's more hey look at me than I actually want to save the planet. 

it's time Bobby and Phil and the rest of them recognize that the dark star orchestra is carrying the dead's legacy going forward.

the stereotype is strong with you young padawan

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I guess what really turns me off at times about it. Is those I've meant throughout the years. Ratdog phil and friends Furthur are turned off by it. Those that taught me kindness. The way of the road. Open your doors. And to dance. Many just don't or won't go. We were keeping the legacy alive. They were keeping the legacy alive. And many are just gone. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I caught something like the fifth show they ever played. There was a lot of excitement and hope on the air. Of course, this was soon after the fare the well shows and ‘we’re never playing again, anymore, ever’.  I caught them the next year in Fucking Camden. I was blown away that the band started playing while a huge line of people were still being searched on their way through the door. I didn’t think that was Grateful Dead form. I don’t think Bobby can sing anymore. He certainly can’t sing Jerry tunes ‘right’. I think it makes them the Grateful Dead cover band. My cousin hung out with Bobby after a Ratdog show at the bottle and cork. He asked Bobby if he thought he would ever stop touring. Bobby said that’s all I know. That’s all I’ve ever done since I was fifteen. I would take that as a No. 

on the other hand, Dark Star Orchestra is to be respected for what they do. They have taken the original torch and are carrying it forward in a first class way. They’re even handling the bump in the road we call COVID with the best possible moves. They’ve survived through deaths and departures. They have captured that intangible factor. They have the vibe. They have us.  …Lately, it occurs to me…., What a long, strange trip it’s been. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

We were outside wrigley for 40 minutes July 4th some year when they started at 6:30 on a Friday. Wrigley has no interstate or highway within 5 miles from it. Rush hour having to hit 50 stoplights makes it impossible to get to plus a double metal detector screwed us in set 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

I saw dead and Company one time. It was  the rain show or I should say half show. If they were playing within 25 miles of me, you paid me $200, and gave me a ticket I might go if I had nothing else to do. There is a band beyond description that has been carrying the flame of what the Grateful Dead was for over 20 years now. Thank you DSO!

• Like (+1) 2

Dead and Company is a nostalgia act.......just like any other classic rock act that's doing the same thing they did 50 years ago.  Irrelevant and not even close to carrying on the Grateful Dead legacy.  

The beauty of Grateful Dead music is that it leaves room for a torch to be carried. 

DSO grabbed the torch and ran.  They have kept the music and the spirit of the music alive and well.  

Interested to know if anyone has any insight as to whether the surviving members realize it?  Any public comments from the surviving members on what Dark Star Orchestra has done? 

In their heart or hearts....the CORE 4 must know that what they are doing is not of the quality they were doing in their prime.  However, DSO is nailing it night in and night out.  DSO has shown me that it is not the players on the stage that matter....it's the quality of the music that creates the "it" factor, and DSO are the only ones who have "it".

It would be nice if the CORE 4 gave them some props......and support!

Edited by Mojo Hand

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Dead and Company is a nostalgia act.......just like any other classic rock act that's doing the same thing they did 50 years ago.  Irrelevant and not even close to carrying on the Grateful Dead legacy.  

The beauty of Grateful Dead music is that it leaves room for a torch to be carried. 

DSO grabbed the torch and ran.  They have kept the music and the spirit of the music alive and well.  

Interested to know if anyone has any insight as to whether the surviving members realize it?  Any public comments from the surviving members on what Dark Star Orchestra has done? 

In their heart or hearts....the CORE 4 must know that what they are doing is not of the quality they were doing in their prime.  However, DSO is nailing it night in and night out.  DSO has shown me that it is not the players on the stage that matter....it's the quality of the music that creates the "it" factor, and DSO are the only ones who have "it".

It would be nice if the CORE 4 gave them some props......and support!

Deadco is more popular than ever. They are selling more tickets than ever. People are gushing over them more now than ever. Just shows you how cults work. The Grateful Dead was a cult and so is deadco. People want a place to fit in. Deadco provides a massive setup for that. But we are a part of a cult lol. It’s similar to many others. Churches even use music now to get you in the cult. Rattle snakes aren’t as effective now. Psychsdelics were always a popular way to enshrine you in a cult. People worshipped Jerry like a god. People are paying $500 to be in Deadco pit. Only brainwashed people would do that. A post on Facebook and cult followers are fighting to buy an 8k cashmere fleece. 

• Forum MVP

Before calling GD a cult when they were active give Joseph Campbell's thoughts some consideration about the celebration of life from Dionysis to the grateful dead. I got tapes of the synposium he presented on 11/1/86.  Totally helped me get out of the cult thoughts of touring. The African Queen Meets The Holy Ghost, (2) 90 mins if anyone wants a copy, pm

• Like (+1) 1