Jackson Hole, WY

July 7, 8 and 9, DSO playing in Jackson Hole on top of a ski mountain with access by gondola. Got lodging booked, always wanted to visit this area, tough to beat a three night run anywhere, I think this is gonna be epic, thanks DSO for bringing us to another awesome corner of the world 😄

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

A friend gave us the heads up on this a while back and even early April trying to get a flight to Jackson hole that 4th of July week is insane. Pre baby we’d have flown to Denver the weekend before and get a car and go to Yosemite for the week and finish with shows. Plus we are at the beach this week and weirdly there aren’t direct flights from the Carolina beach to Jackson hole. They are prob used to mostly private planes with Kanye West and the Biebs. If Tea decides to book us a charger leaving from Raleigh, we can make this work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I’d say hire Hardpan for logistics and tour announcements…I mean,,,he’s quicker than anyone else in this case!

Seriously…early May…and still July dates and other summer shows yet to be announced?! This year looking like a C- for getting the full summer tour sched rolled out…I know there’s tons of details to be pinned down and more than I can understand about show announcements but most people have already locked in their summer plans and spent $ for shows and festivals…not to whine,,but…….

oh well,,the shows will be kicking ass anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
22 hours ago, Island Bro said:

I’d say hire Hardpan for logistics and tour announcements…I mean,,,he’s quicker than anyone else in this case!

Seriously…early May…and still July dates and other summer shows yet to be announced?! This year looking like a C- for getting the full summer tour sched rolled out…I know there’s tons of details to be pinned down and more than I can understand about show announcements but most people have already locked in their summer plans and spent $ for shows and festivals…not to whine,,but…….

oh well,,the shows will be kicking ass anyway.

we had to pick a beach week months ago with her working at a hospital now and everyone going on vacations in the summer. A big excursion like this needs lots of advance notice for flights and planning. I remember Barraco at our camp at Jubilee telling us they were playing redrocks 14 months in advance to make sure we all made it and pretty much everyone we knew did make it with that 14 month heads up. I’d have to think that with a year notice on this that it would be like jubilee and we’d have 100 friends there. We’d have for sure done this with enough notice vs 3k cost on a last minute RT flight for 2 and even at 3 months, flying 4th of July week is last minute. We wanted to make this happen but alas it wasn’t in the cards. Unfortunately she can’t get off Asheville weekend b/c other social workers already took that Friday off and she’s the only one on her floor. We need more DSO but what we really need is notice so she puts in for her PTO before others.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

I would be all over heading to these unique shows…always pining for a 3-pack, anywhere…especially out west in a beautiful and unique spot but gosh darn it this the only weekend that I’m fully committed to for Oregon Country Fair (DSO and members have played there in years gone by)…a soul nourishing event that I’ve been on board for since my first in ‘88…

I sure wish Jackson hole landed the following weekend but alas…that’s how it goes sometimes!

clearly will be a unique and magical weekend!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
On 5/6/2023 at 2:05 AM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

There's good heads  in Wyoming, glad to see the shows scheduled. 

Maybe the biggest issue is Deadco is playing the gorge this weekend. Many out west planned that trip a long while ago. I hope dso sells a bunch of tix but on FB you see a lot wishing they could do this but already have a big group heading to the gorge. 

• Forum MVP

I'd sell my gorge tickets. I base my summer plans around DSO. I feel you earlier notice would be nice and preferable but I just don't make hard plans until I know what DSO is doing. I get others live and do it differently. Bailing on the John Mayer at the gorge would be an easy call. Jackson hole DSO is no brainer. Gondola to the show. 8000 feet with a view of the Tetons. I might stay up that way for a week. 

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I'd sell my gorge tickets. I base my summer plans around DSO. I feel you earlier notice would be nice and preferable but I just don't make hard plans until I know what DSO is doing. I get others live and do it differently. Bailing on the John Mayer at the gorge would be an easy call. Jackson hole DSO is no brainer. Gondola to the show. 8000 feet with a view of the Tetons. I might stay up that way for a week. 

we used to base all our plans around DSo, but they aren’t playing our area like they used to and we aren’t getting the notice we used to get. Dso has played like 5 shows within 7 hours of us in the last year. We caught pretty much all of those, but the days of 15-20 shows within 7 hours are over it seems. They haven’t played Indy since 2019. There have been 3 cincy shows and 1 St. Louis show in 4 years.  Am I supposed to just sit and wait and hope I get a show MC?? If they don’t come then I do nothing? Having a baby means we have to plan ahead for babysitters. If I see something non dso that’s fun, I book it. It’s May and a July run was just announced. Do you see how many peeps on here want to go to Wyoming and they can’t b/c it was too last second and they have other plans already. This is a real issue that the band needs to address as it’s affecting their pocketbooks. I’d guess with 6-7 months notice; at least 30 peeps just on the board would be going. That money loss adds up and DSO is a business and whoever is doing their booking needs to step their game up b/c it’s costing them money!

• Forum MVP

I'll let you know the turn out. This is probably a pretty big place but often the way the band gets paid there is a set dollar amount. The promoter assumes the risk. Would I like more notice. Of course I would. I have two kids Rude. I get the struggles with travel and child care. Child care for jubilee was a struggle this year and Whitney doesn't want to deal with kids during the DSO show. And I can't say I really feel differently. During the day, no problem. During the party not my jam.

So Whitney's mom committed to coming a long ways back. She then realized she had her nieces, plural, graduations that weekend. She backed out on us. Then Whitney had a friend commit to coming and baby sit for the ticket food and some dollars. They backed out. I'm now flying one of my go to babysitters here in Colorado out to the festival with us. He likes the Dead and music. He's coincidentally more into Phish. 

I'm m not questioning the way you do things. I may even pop up at one of those panic shows. I have a good buddy from California coming out. I said I'd go for free or cheap ticket. Red rocks won't be easy on that front but he's an old school head with lots of music connections. It may work out. Panic always good for that whiskey and blow party. 

Back to the financials, DSO gets their nut in the Northeast. Saturday night at the cap will sell out. Friday night could too. Penns peak will sell out. The festival gigs also pay well which they are getting quite a bit of. Definitely more notice would be great but man this is going to be an experience. Not just for us but for them. Playing at 8000 feet with a view of the Tetons. I'm sorry it's not in your cards. I love you buddy. Would love to see you there. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the jubilee.  

Always wish more forum folk make it out. It's always gonna be for the music for me but I don't want to under value the joy that this community brings me. I recently ran into 2 different people that it had been over 5 years since I saw them. I love that the music always brings is back together. 

By the way lots of notice on Jamaica. Save the date Jan 9th through 13th.

I don't know how long you staying in Colorado during the panic run and I'm sure you don't need a place to stay although the offer is there I hope you know that. I live about 45 minutes from red rocks. I would definitely love it if you came out to the house one afternoon. 

Love is real

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Also another thing on ticket sales. The traveling fans, forum folk and others, actually make up quite a small percentage of attendees at shows. Venues mostly fill with locals or at least people within a 3 hours radius. A remote place like Jackson hole the radius may be larger like 5 hour radius. I imagine people in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana are pretty hurting for opportunities to see music especially the caliber of DSO. I know Missoula probably has a pretty decent scene but that's way up there and not really close to Jackson hole. 

DSO loves the traveling tribe don't get me wrong. We make friendships. We have dinners, after show drinks. We bring a special energy to the shows we attend. I've had people tell us it was like we were apart of the show. But they rely on the local ticket sales more than the traveling ticket sales to fill the venues.

• Forum MVP
On 5/3/2023 at 6:51 AM, Constanza said:

Does it feel like they are almost just doing residencies now? Not really a full slate summer tour…Wish I could go!

Spring tour isn't just residencies and resembles a more traditional tour. Maybe a little short but traditional tour. I don't think DSO is done with traditional tours. 

• Forum MVP

We will definitely come see you guys one day while in Colorado. We got a really close Airbnb so we can do as much as we can while we have freedom. I’d guess that most shows(the Wyoming excluded), Dso gets paid on a percent of ticket sales. The money is in the northeast for sure and it’s a different post covid environment. That’s also why we can’t rely on DSO tours. They do what they have to do and we will also. It’s just too expensive and too much hassle for us to do New York shows. We are doing panic b/c Nashville to Denver is cheap and it’s a direct flight. We waited as long as we could to plan summer days off. She’s at a hospital now and things are different. In summer the parentals also travel so the 2 babysitting options are limited June and July. We had a blast at panic New Years in Nashville. Free place to stay and 2 hours away so that was an easy decision so we wanted to take that ride again. And we are at the beach 7/1-7/9. My whole family is there. Personally I’d love to do the whole 3 weeks at the beach but she’s gotta work. 

• Forum MVP

I've talked with band members about booking them. I will most likely have DSO play my wedding when it happens. Whitney reminds me she ain't got no ring. I'm not sure if they also take a percentage of ticket sales or possibly booze sales but I know that there is a flat rate required for them to show up. Gone are the days they play for free booze. I know many local bar bands they play for like 500 split 4/5 ways and free booze. Because of the flat rate, when DSO plays small venues the ticket price often really high. Aspen tickets were super expensive.