Dead & Company 2024 Residency at The Sphere

Tea

• Forum MVP

It's pseudo-official now.  Specific dates still to be released but it will begin in May.  

https://packaged-media.redd.it/cynirhmjjsfc1/pb/m2-res_1222p.mp4?m=DASHPlaylist.mpd&v=1&e=1706731200&s=bceeae4e210a8b064b989a5e52d61103f995ee13#t=0

NY Post - Dead & Co. will come back to life this spring with a 14-show residency at James Dolan’s Las Vegas Sphere, The Post has learned.

The $2.3 billion Sphere — which the owner of the Knicks and Rangers spun off from Madison Square Garden last April — has been looking to book a long-running act to follow U2 after their 40-show run ends in March.

Dead & Co., which includes former Grateful Dead founding member Bob Weir and guitarist John Mayer, will begin their residency in May, according to a source close to the situation.  The deal is expected to be announced this week, the source added.

Sphere spokespeople declined to comment. A rep for Dead & Co. didn’t immediately comment.

That venue looks cool but it doesn't seem remotely conducive to a grateful dead musical experience.   I know, I know - the band isn't very conducive either.  Ha-Ha-Ha.  They're not my cup of tea and I would not make the sacrifice to get to Vegas, but I still love Bobby and am interested to see how this all goes.

I'm curious if anyone is gonna give it a spin...... 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, DesertDead said:

45 minute flight from PHX, I’ll go to two.

Doing Phish in there phirst (ducks lol)

DD

I’ll be out there for phish. Supposed to start a new job soon but if I don’t by May I may try and get back out there for a D&C or 2

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

I think I'm gonna endeavor to check one of these shows out.  I don't gamble a lick, but sheepishly admit to liking the spectacle that is Vegas for a couple nights here and there.  Easy to get there from the Bay Area too. 

Dead & Co is very much not my cup of tea either, but by all accounts that venue really seems like something to experience.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, John A said:

I think I'm gonna endeavor to check one of these shows out.  I don't gamble a lick, but sheepishly admit to liking the spectacle that is Vegas for a couple nights here and there.  Easy to get there from the Bay Area too. 

Dead & Co is very much not my cup of tea either, but by all accounts that venue really seems like something to experience.

Yeah, I’m also interested because of the venue.  And D&C did play MUCH better this last tour, without that fact I would not be going.  They were so depressing the few years prior to 2023, it was awful, imo.

Some practice and some tempo both seemed to have aided in their rebound.

It will be cool to see if their artistic expressions for our favorite songs match up with what our brains have configured. 🤩

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Luckily it’s just the rich heads going b/c the 105 degree days would cause that place to stink if 20k heads in the 90’s. Worst time of year to have shows in Vegas. 

if you don’t know, if you have ever gambled at a Caesar’s resort or one of the other chains, you can get a free hotel besides the $30 a day resort fees. This time of year is so dirt cheap that even if you can’t get a free room you can get one for $60 including resort fees at a nice spot. June/July is dead season there for a reason. 

• Forum MVP

The only thing I do at Caesar's is Joe's Stone Crab.  Unfortunately the season ends May 1st, so they'll be frozen when D&C is around, but that won't stop me. While they're crazy pricey, that's one rich head pursuit I'm squarely behind. 😁

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I caught Dead and Company the summer before last up in Philly and had the time of my life, Top five show definitely. Went back up last summer because it was the last time. Set list, performance, crowd vibe all spot on the first time. Second show, Bobby was barely there. His voice was shot. I had to listen to the first song while standing in a huge line as there was only one gate if you were down on the field. After a while, a venue employee walks out and yells that this line is for the field only. About seventy five percent of the line leaves. Cool. I flow into the show, make my way down to the field to be told that I need a wristband to get down to the field. I go back up to the concourse, ask an employee where the wristbands are. She tells me they’re at gate 110 and points to the complete opposite side of the stadium. So, I ran there. Ask an employee there, I tell here that I was told to come here. She tells me that I was lied to. She says follow me, I will take you where you need to go. She walks me about a hundred yards to what appears to be the official Dead and Company T-shirt concession. She says that they can give me a wristband. After waiting about five minutes while a few people decided which tye dye would be best. Finally, it’s my turn and the gal has no idea what I am talking about.  At this point, I just go find and entrance gate and ask the nice old man where the wristbands are. He points to a booth that looks like it’s from a carnival, has big letters across the top, WRISTBANDS. I walk up to the booth and say I need a wristband. She says, you have to go over there, and points to an alcove where they’re actually handing out wristbands. I got my wristband and be bop down to my seat in the back of the front section. Settled in with my neighbors who happened to ride up from their boat ten minutes down the road from my house. Half time comes and I go get a drink of water. I go to get back in my seat and for some reason, my ticket wasn’t coming up on my phone. She won’t let me back to my seat which was five feet away. She had yelled for me to get back in my seat the whole first set. So, I have my wristband, I am allowed on the floor, but if I stop for a few seconds, an employee tells me that I have to keep moving. There wasn’t any dancing area to go to. This is too depressing. Yea, I’ll never go back

• Forum MVP

Whoa, Greg!  Stressball City.  I’ve had similar pinball events (some me, some venue) and it’s the worst when wanna lock-in in the music.

Relative to Dead and Company, summer 2023 was 100% better than previous tours.  While no real tour de force shows (moments for sure), it was light years better than the years leading up

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

It's been good to hear they're at 100% better (this was the first year I didn't go, saying enough is enough already💤boring). Now I hope they'll take this 100% better approach and integrate it with the Sphere's concert delivery environment allowing the 2024 audience to go to places we got to go to with Jerry. Kudos to those that get in. Looking forward to reviews and details of shows. This is the year I'm finally cutting back as I say each year and never dew. Passing on this isn't as distressing as trying to give up Phish and BMFS. Those two now end up being big concert $ drains. Dark Star, Hyryder, BCE, Emmylou and Del McCoury merit my concert dollar more than D $ C and Phish.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Off FB today. 
pretty inevitable lol given it’s Vegas 

“Hi from Vegas. I have a seemingly random question: what is the sexiest Dead song to you? I'm a burlesque entertainer and I want to do an act but I can't narrow it down. ☮️

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Off FB today. 
pretty inevitable lol given it’s Vegas 

“Hi from Vegas. I have a seemingly random question: what is the sexiest Dead song to you? I'm a burlesque entertainer and I want to do an act but I can't narrow it down. ☮️

Althea and Sugaree come to mind for me…

Dark Star but that’s an acquired taste 🤩

• Like (+1) 1