12/31/2012 Setlist

Taper Ron

One: 2/21/69 - Dream Bowl, Vallejo CA - Friday

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ; Doin' That Rag ; Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Turn On Your Love Light

Two: 6/4/78 - Campus Stadium - University Of California, Santa Barbara CA - Sunday Set 1

Bertha > Good Lovin' ; Dire Wolf ; Me And My Uncle > Big River ; Brown Eyed Women ; Looks Like Rain ; Tennessee Jed ; Jack Straw

Three: 7/18/89 - Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI - Tuesday Set 2

Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > China Doll ; Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude ; Throwing Stones ~ SunshineDaydream

Encore The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)

Notes: three sets of different show from 1960's , 1970's, and 1980's

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back from a journey for the new years Eve celebration. First, have to say I really liked Montcair and the Welmont theater - both very nice. The New Years Eve show was a lot of fun.Band was hot and crowd was fun. Especially enjoyed the first set - - opening Good Morning Little School Girl got the show off to a great start - the Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven was awesome, hadn;t heard one of these in awhile and the giys felt really on. Rob's Lovelight to close was really alot of fun.

The rest of the night was enjoyable also, for me it didn;t quite match the first set but still a great way to spend New years Eve!!

While I'm here, i will also say we were also at the Electric Factory Show - thought the bands energy there was amazing!!

by far I think the best NYE setlist dso has done, at least in the last several years- I'm not sure about pre 05 since I wasn't around.

Kudos to the band for knocking this one out. I really dig the progressive setlist, and I think it would be pretty groovy to get a mix and match show here and there- why not?

I'm so happy everyone had a rockin night and I was feeling the good vibes flowing in from the east coast. I love reading the glowing reviews and vicariously living the night with everyone. Until the next spin.....

• Forum MVP

Ooooook. So where to begin? This was not only the best new years show I've ever seen, it was just straight up the best. Dark star orchestra at its finest. We really got it all on this fine evening.

The first set might have been the best of the night, it's hard to say though. I'm huge fan of early dead music and this was a dream set. Schoolgirl got it started raunchy and Lisa was throwing down some nasty harp. She is really starting to sound good on that thing. Doin that rag had its typically awesome and psychedelic jam at the end- and then we really went off, Dark Star. Now at this point I was still down on the floor trying to dance amongst talkers, stand stillers, and general Jersey swine. A couple of minutes in I bailed on this idea and ran(I wanted to miss as few precious moments as possible) up to the balcony to join my friends. We had great fun up in the back left corner of the upper balcony(or right, depending which way you are facing). Room to dance and seats to sit if one so desired(you know, during set break). Dark star was cosmic. It was especially special(redundant?) for me to dance with a buddy of mine who took a long time to "get" the music. I would say that he gets it now:) Stephen rocked, as to be expected, and the eleven was the best version I've seen these fine gents perform. What an amazing cyclone of psychedelic intensity. Lovelight, well, I think it really goes without saying that barraco always throws down on this one. I guess I just said it anyway.

The general consensus after the first set was, "how the hell are they gonna top that?!?!". I'm not gonna say that they topped it but the energy did not dip at all. All I could keep thinking to myself was, "this is so fuckin classic!". And what's more classic than a Bertha>good lovin opener? Uncle, big river, and bew all smoked in the dancy late 70's fashion. Now the looks like rain deserves some special attention, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks so. It was probably just one of the most beautiful pieces of music that I've had the pleasure of witnessing. If someone saw a video of us dancing sans music they would probably think we were doing some kind of worship or rain dance. Yea, we felt it. A rockin Tennessee Jed led us to what I think many of us wanted to hear, Jack Straw! The jam at the end was so intense I thought it might never end(and was fully ok with that).

I was lucky enough to spend this entire next setbreak(I love having multiple setbreaks, why can't every show be that way?:)) talking life with a very wise and wonderful friend. Revelations galore! I doubt you will read this, but, thank you Mary!!!

So now I'm feeling about as good as I know how to(actually, better than I previously knew possible). And what's this? One more set of wonderful music? Well, I'm game. And the 3rd set did not disappoint in the least. I think pretty much everyone I was with was hoping for a scarlet>fire and we got started just that way- except instead of fire it was women are smarter, which was a cool transition for sure. It wouldn't be a proper run of shows for me without my Eyes and here it comes! When I heard the opening chords I was so happy that I collapsed against the rail for a few seconds(and then danced my brains out!). What can I say? Wings a mile long<3 The rest of the set followed suit and I was absolutely delighted to get a throwing stones. Lyrically, what could be more appropriate for these times? Are we gonna leave this place an empty stone? Or that shining ball of blue that we call our home. Now, more than ever, is our time to decide and act. It's time to put our hangups behind us and move forward, out of an age of darkness, and into one of light.

Bone shaking occurred.

I don't what else to say. I'm so incredibly spent still but the bliss still remains. I feel so happy and blessed to be a part of this family and to get to experience this music that first happened before my time. I don't know where I would be in life without it. Thank you so much, I love you all(even the guy who was passed out in his seat for most of the show lol), and I know I'll meet y'all on the run. Peace!

• Forum MVP

I would say that this show was the best I've since Jeff Mattson joined the band.

The Wellmont Theater was the perfect venue for this show. Through every set break I was able to wander throughout the theater without worrying about loosing my spot up front... an interesting and overall awesome crowd as well.

...what a special way to enter 2012... the quality and prowess of Dark Star Orchestra inspired some of my resolutions for the new year.

P.S

RB, if you read this, I want to express a special appreciation for your vibra-slap playing in Dark Star.

It was a very special evening of music and way cool vibes from everyone I met. In the first set, I was immediately taken by "Schoolgirl", from Rob's soulful take on Pigpen, to Lisa's offering on harp, the emotion coming through from the stage created a tone for the night that just kept on right until the last notes at 1:00 am. The "Dark Star" was nice, varying from delicate to downright fierce, and sounded to me like it just had to be 1969. "Stephen" was a monster, and we all showed our thanks... many a tear of joy shed. The "Eleven" was when I really kicked into dancing mode, and it seemed that almost everyone around me was enjoying a similar workout. "Lovelight" gave Rob B. a major chance to shine once again, and man... did he ever deliver !!! The scatting was riveting to take in, and some older folks near me were going absolutely NUTS, having seen, they informed me, some original Dead shows with Pig in 68' and 69'. A wonderfully executed first set. I was on the balcony, and there was plenty of room for dancing, with only minimal visits from the "staff", who were actually quite well behaved, at least from my vantage point.

Set 2 opened with a tight and fun "Bertha", with Jeff in fine voice, and each jam got more intense, until finally leading gracefully into "Good Lovin'". I am not usually a fan of this combo, preferring "Good Lovin'" as a show ender, but these two left little doubt that this was going to be one crazy, crazy night ! "Dire Wolf", which has never been a particular highlight for me, was SO good... driving jams, and just great work by all. The rest of the set was very well played, and I really liked Rob Eaton's treatment on "Looks Like Rain". This was probably my favorite song of the set, and his vocals were just incredibly on, with great support from his bandmates. Audience participation was universal on "Jed", and the band responded in kind. The set closer of "Jack Straw" was again, powerfully delivered, and left me pretty drained, but happy... and ready for a break. Speaking of breaks, I found the facilities to pretty easy to navigate. I don't smoke, so I am glad I did not have the need to get outside during intermissions, as it was very packed around the doorways. I think it is admirable that they changed their no re-entry policy, but sometimes policy changes conflict with logistics !

I just had a feeling we would be due a late 80's show for the third set, given the years of the last two, and a re-creation of Alpine Valley was most appropriate. From the crowd pleasing "Sugar Mags" opener, into a fun "Scarlet", and the band's sound, my suspicions were confirmed. The "Women Are Smarter" was given a terrific, party-time reading, with Rob at times belting the lyrics, and then at other times bringing the band down to quiet, almost hushed moments. It was during these periods in the song that Lisa was going back and forth with Rob E. and Jeff on vocal lines, and the effect was simply beautiful. Both Dino and Rob K. were keeping a tremendously danceable beat, as always, and I had great fun during this song. There was a brief pause, and then Eaton announced that midnight was only about 20 seconds away, and within seconds there were hundreds of balloons and colored confetti released into the air. After "Happy New Year" howls and hugs, Jeff launched the band into one of the best "Eyes" I have ever witnessed them do. Certainly not the longest (as 80's versions tended to be on the shorter side), but very warmly played and sung by all. I thought the "Drums" were very cool, with interesting sounds and focused interaction, bringing back for me the experience I had of seeing Bill and Mickey go at it back in the day. "China Doll" was initially a downer for me, but it built to a wonderful climax at the end, and again featured Jeff in fine voice. Rob B. was having a blast with "Fantasy>Jude", wailing on the vocals and commanding the keys, a la Brent in that era, and the obvious sing-along from the audience. "Stones" was also a crowd pleaser, and it got very, very loud toward the end. "Sunshine Daydream" brought the set to a close in fine fashion, an end to the sandwich of a fantastic set, and extremely meaningful night of music for me. "Quinn" was a fun way to close out the party, and the band proved it still had energy in them, as this was a tight, well played rendition, and a happy way to ring in the New Year. Well done, guys and gal !!!

Topher

Extremely high energy thru-out the night. Loved all 3 sets, especially 2-21-69. Was nice to hear Alpine 2nd set considering the original 7-18-89, I was extremely tired at from all the driving from Alb., NY area to Wisc. and partying/dancing the night before so I believe I dozed off and missed some of that GD set. I definately would love mixed up sets like that more often. Great Experiment. Right side balcony had a GREAT vibe to it and we definately surrendered ourselves to the music!!! The Wellmont had some of the best sound, I was surprised considering the ceiling was rather scary, but at least it had nets. Thanks DSO for another awesome NYE.

I agree with everything said, it was a great show! Got to meet Lisa at a friends house before the show. It was very cool to talk with her about harmonica. She has come a long way in a very short time on the harp. Schoolgirl was the best I've heard you play so far. You're doin great Lisa! It was a pleasure swapping harp tidbits....

P101k0001.jpg

• Forum MVP

Really digging all the reviews of the night. It's one thing to read the setlist and KNOW that it must have been a smokin' hot night, but it's another to read elaborate reviews and FEEL the energy coming through...thanks so much for spreading it around with your written words and helping those of us who weren't there get a good hit of the vibe!!!

Help on the way in 2012...

• Forum MVP

Interesting that midnight fell in the middle of the pre-drums segment. Particularly given that a set with a Sugar Mags opener was chosen. Logistical issues, I'm sure.

Um, ???. What better song than eyes to open the new year? Sugar mags is played out.

• Forum MVP

Um, ???. What better song than eyes to open the new year? Sugar mags is played out.

What I'm getting at is that it's odd to choose a second set that begins with the Dead's traditional midnight opener then not start there at midnight. That's the "um". Maybe Eyes was the plan for the 1st song of the year, maybe as I said it was "logistical issues."

I think the timing was dead on. All sets were unreal, it was like stepping in to a time machine and getting to see what i never got to. The 69 set was just perfect the dark star> st. stephen> eleven> love light what more could you ask for from 69 dead. then they jump to 78 bertha>good lovin was very strong and tight and the jackstraw closer was nice. The 89 set the high light of that set for me was the dear mr. fantasy> hey jude finale hope everyone enjoyed there show have a safe and happy new year

• Advisory Board

I dunno about y'all, but I had an exceptional 4 night run...

Thanks to everyone who played a part in my glorious 4 nights of F-U-N!!

Looks like I wont be getting to another show till they come back to the northeast... guess I'll see ya all in May

• Forum MVP

If the sound came out good and we are lucky we may see a soundboard release, but I wouldn't count on it for quite a while. Gotta get thru August-December first. So how about those Alaska shows??

• Forum MVP

This whole New Years run was absolutely blissful from the first note to the last. I really don't have words for it and I am incredibly sad that it's over. I miss and love you all. Until the next one... Thanks everyone.

• Forum MVP

Post tour blues, it's real, promontory rider syndrome.....

Well said...I know the syndrome. The only viable long-term treatment is about a year of hair of the dog. Did I say "viable?" Maybe it isn't exactly that, but it can be bliss.

• Forum MVP

Well said...I know the syndrome. The only viable long-term treatment is about a year of hair of the dog. Did I say "viable?" Maybe it isn't exactly that, but it can be bliss.

Oh its viable, but the break being imposed is by the band. At least, I have Splintered tomorrow night.

Archived