Should I review the Jubilee in the Review forum, or the Jubilee forum?  Lol anywho..

I had to miss Friday, which might have hit 32 degrees I hear at night, due to just being way too busy for my own good, but I arrived Saturday just in time for the New Orleans Suspects, and had a blast from that point on.  DSO was ON Saturday.  Opening Help > Slip was killer, as was 1/2 Step > Music to close that set.  Nifty arrangement of HelpSlipStrangerFranklin's by the way.  Scarlet > Fire & Rider were my personal fav's from the altogether solid second set.  Oh, Beer Barrel Polka (wasn't it?) and Eclipse, as in Pink Floyd's Eclipse, tunings to open the 2nd set.  Or was that Breathe?  Oh bother.  Have to mention the sheer awesomeness of what's got to be state-of-the-art "3D" lighting (did you see the spirals & other shapes coming at you through the smoke, especially on Barraco's side?!) and the loudest, clearest most perfect sound ever.  I took a cell phone video, which always has terrible audio, during Sugar Mag but this time it came out.  Totally listenable, vocals and all, and this was not even from the "sweet spot" in the audience.  Kudos crew! :crewrocks:

Spent all day Sunday watching music.  Gotta bit of the sunburn.  Weird considering how cold it was at night.  Random sentences:  Folkadelics are SO good.  The guitar player in JGB looks like the '78 Jerry, but sings like the '88 Jerry.  Pigeons Playing Ping Pong played a song about a pigeon into a crescendo that became the Boy-Man/Washufizi/etc last part of You Enjoy Myself that was shockingly awesome. 

DSO Sunday. Such a fun, high energy show.  Long Other One and Alligator in the 1st.  DARK STAR > DRUMZ wow.  A bit of feedback by Eaton in Dark Star lead to a dark "dread" section (and what good Dark Star is without one of those??) that had me remembering the feeling of being a kid who was about to get in trouble - THAT kind of dread.  This goes into an intense drums, which later had only Mr. Koritz BEAMing ominously.  And finally this disolves into what I can only think to call "Pretty Space" first with Barraco and then Jeff.  Speaking of Barraco, a fantastic rap, not only for its choices of content & words, but in the delivery, given as a man who doesn't care what you think, as if to say "Right now, I'm gonna tell you like it is".  Pure truth. 

Gonna miss ya Kev.  Thanks for laying it down and all the bombs over the last 12 years or so.  It won't be the same without you. :dsorocks:

Here's the set lists for reference.

Night 1 (07-10-1981 St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN)

Set 1:

Jack Straw

Sugaree

Mama Tried>

Mexicali Blues

Loser

Cassidy

Brown Eyed Women

C. C. Rider

Ramble on Rose

Let it Grow>

Don't Ease Me In

Set 2:

Samson & Delilah

Althea

Estimated Prophet>

Eyes of the World>

Drums>

Space>

UJB>

PITB>

China Doll>

UJB>

PITB>

Around and Around>

Good Lovin'

Encore: Casey Jones

Night 2 (Original)

Set 1:

Help>

Slip>

Feel Like a Stranger>

Franklin's (w/Donna)

Lazy Lightning>

Supplication

Loose Lucy

Black Throated Wind

Mississippi 1/2 Step

The Music Never Stopped (w/Donna)

Set 2:

Box of Rain

Scarlet>

Fire

China Cat Sunflower>

I Know You Rider

Unbroken Chain>

Drums>

Space> (w/ Wienke, DSO's merch girl, on Bassoon)

Not Fade Away>

Attics of My Life>

Unbroken Chain>

Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Midnight Moonlight

Night 3 (Original 60's Style)

Set 1:

St. Stephen>

William Tell Bridge>

The Eleven>

William Tell Bridge?>

Cryptical Envelopment>

The Other One>

Cryptical Envelopment>

Alligator>

Goin' Down the Road Feelin Bad

Set 2:

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

Dancin' in the Streets (w/ Tighten Up Jam)

Doin' That Rag

Sittin' on Top of the World

Dark Star> (w/ Pete Lavezzoli the drummer from JGB)

Drums>

Space>

Jam>

Death Don't Have Mercy>

Lovelight

Encore:

Greatest Story Ever Told

And We Bid You Goodnight

I've been off the map a bit when it comes to the boards lately. Lately,  many of my thoughts have been internalized and finishing up college, moving out of my house, and finding a place to live in DC have kept me more than preoccupied. I'm all too happy to be back now.

Having also been to the previous Jubilee, left me with great expectations this year, although I will ignore drawing any comparisons to last year's Jubilee, I will however note that this year there was a good number of more people.

All three nights were more than impressive, but I'll reserve my thoughts for the final night for reasons you'll see why. If anything the Eyes of the first night and the Attics of the second night were personal favorites.

Coming into the third night I had never seen DSO perform a 60's set list. A great show by the Dead is a great show to me despite the era, but something about the 60s has had my heart in amour ever since I first came upon the Dead four years ago. Whether it was lying down on my bed late at night to Dark Star, running around and jumping off furniture to Lovelight, entangling myself in my headphone cord to Viola Lee, dreaming off to Mountains of the Moon, or crying softly to a heartfelt He Was a Friend of Mine, the Dead in the 60s will forever move me deeply.

I remembered the thread on the boards requesting a pre 70s set, and so coming into the Jubilee, every night DSO came on this was on my mind. Starting the show off this night with St. Stephen I knew it had to be what I had been waiting for. Despite the band getting slipped up in St. Stephen, they pulled together and really came through. The William Tell Bridge alluded to the impending Eleven. How much I love the Eleven, and man did Jeff just kill it! The cryptic lyrics of Hunter in the early songs often leave my puzzled and pondering. Images pass through my mind of "six proud walkers" and a "great white sperm whale." The ambiguity of the lyrics carry my thoughts in different directions when I hear these songs. The mental malleability of the lyrics reminds me much of the epigram in the beginning of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut: "Live by the harmless untruths that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy." I have never been able to put in to words for others the joy that this music brings me, but I do know that the feeling is real. The only things you can truly prove in this world is the mathematical nature of the universe. What one believes in can never truly be proven, but if your beliefs cause no harm to others and "make you brave and kind and healthy and happy" then you have a foundation for which to build your castle in the air. Those who do not listen to the Dead may often fail to understand our peculiar ways, but the inner joy that I can see in the eyes of the other forum members as the music plays reassures me of these "harmless untruths" we may live by.

You could tell the band was on tonight in the ever so smooth transitions between the songs. The Other One, would slow and later burst with energy. Alligator was a whole lot of dancing fun as the band members carried it out with timely and powerful singing. The second set opening with Good Morning Little Schoolgirl evoked the love lust attitude of Pigpen, and made me smile with thoughts of all the lovely ladies who were at Jubilee. Dancin' was just some more good ol' dance your ass off music and the tighten up jam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apoaSeOf3w8) they included in spirit of the early Dead made it all the more fantastic. Dark Star came just at the right time to slow things down for the next little while. The jam they did after was some really awesome improvisation work; all that was in my heart kept building upon itself in wondrous bliss. The Death Don't Have Mercy was no exception to the phenomenal level at which they were playing, and Jeff just hit it out of the park lyrically; you could tell how much he poured his heart into that song that night. Lovelight brought me right back in the dancing groove and the amorous emotions. Rob really went to the next level with his Pigpen rap, walking away from the keyboards to stand over at a mic to lay it all out, and how fitting it became as some girl, I still am not sure who, would later call me that night to confess her love to me. I thank you Rob  :), for everything happened to fit all together so well that night. The band let out the last of their energy into a powerful Greatest Story Ever Told, and sung us goodnight in the dearest way I could think possible.

• Forum MVP

Wow what a weekend! Perfect weather. Cold didnt bother us too bad. Was prepared. Friday nice. Solos on loser and cc rider were great. Kevin on althea. All night really. Gonna miss him and his antics. Sat at noon very garcia band tore it down. Maybe my favorite non dso set of weekend. Sat night first set was awesome. From opening of help on the way my 10 year old was yelling " help slip frank! Help slip frank!" When they threw the stranger swerve the look on his face was priceless. Then he still got his FT. 1/2 step music was nice. Donna! 2nd set i felt was the "crowd pleaser" set. China/ rider scarlet/fire sugar mag. Jeff laid it all out there on rider. Attics and unbroken chain were both nice. Sunday we all lounged around camp most of the day. Sunburnt and sleepy. Napped in and out of bands all day. Good music though. Made our way down for melvin and stayed for the remainder. My boys did the poster signing and met the band and they couldnt have been nicer. A memory they will keep forever. Jgb was tight and the wailers were impressive, but on to the main event. From the first 2 notes of st steven i knew we were getting our "early show" and my excitement level multiplied. SS into the 11 with the william tell bridge. Mmmmmm. Other one. Alligator. Schoolgirl! Death dont! My god the humanity. Brilliant weekend. (Mostly) good people, great music. Year 3. I'll be. At the jubilee

• Forum MVP

Besides the bitter cold night 1 and 2, it was an amazing time.  Loved the Friday show the best.  We needed that fast rocking set to keep warm.  Brrrrrrr.  Night 3 was so sick though.  I think they played over an hour without stopping to start the set.  My sense of time was off and everything is still blurry so I cant be for sure.  A friend I went with said Dark Star is now their fav band.  I think anyone Ive taken to a show has said these guys are amazing.  Not sure how you could think otherwise really.  I also loved Pigeons playing pingpong.  WOW.  They deserved a late night set.  Those guys were awesome.  Very Garcia Band was amazing too!!!  Had never seen them yet.  Will have to make a trip to Lexington to see them. Wow the brunette had an amazing voice!!!!!  Watching Mickey from right in front of the bass stack was sick lol.  I was on full vibrate mode from him.  I didn't see Disc-O pizza on my initial tour of the venue.  I almost freaked out.  Thank god they were there. :)

• Forum MVP

Legend Valley, Thornville, OH

A panorama shot from Saturday afternoon at Legend Valley, OH. 
This festival is well run, has an awesome line up of bands, a grate selection of food and merchandise vendors, and is in an accessible location for anyone in the country. I hope DSO can rest assured that this festival is the start of a new tradition and that they can look forward to making a bunch of money this weekend every year. Not saying they're motives are tied to money, but they and the crew work their asses off I'm sure, and so they deserve a reciprocal reward. My total guess is that if last year was 2000 people, this year was 4000+. Sunday night was the reward I was looking for for my effort - I probably got overpaid on that one, but I'll take it.... THANKS DSO AND CREW, and all the other bands and crews, the Legend Valley staff, for busting ass for us to have a ball. 

PS: can't give any thanks to the Honey Wagon crew - Monday morning was uuuuugggly. Suggestion for Walther Productions - find out what it would cost to have the Honey Wagon come out twice a day, divide that number by the quantity of tix you project selling and add that to the ticket price.... Clean port-o-johns make for an EVEN better experience..

Jubilee 2013 was brilliant.  I was blessed to experience it in the company of the greatest group of friends a deadhead could hope to meet.  We shared the relative luxury of an RV and that small indulgence paid off in spades on those cold nights.  The music was superlative.  DSO summoned the old gods and got them on their feet to shake their dusty bones.  From the first note of Jack Straw to the last bid goodnight they kept the spirit strong and the heads on their feet.  Speaking of gods, Jeff and Donna Jean's rendition of The Maker would make a believer out of anyone.  Dino and Melvin proved that you can never have enough cats down under the stars, and Melvin was also kind enough to give Mr. Chuck that Dylan he so desperately needed.

I am ready to buy my Jubilee 2014 ticket right now, and I would also throw in whatever Walther Productions needs to make sure the Honey Wagon crew comes by more often.  Literally the only minor disturbances in an otherwise unsullied parade of perfection were over capacity port-a-johns, a friend's medicine that went missing, and a Lazy Lightning I could have done without.  A pessimist like me has to question his whole ethos in the face of such a splendid three days of magic in the meadows of central Ohio.

• Advisory Board

Well I know I had a great time at the Jubilee.... Only thing I could of done without is the freezing cold at night. I mean... DAMN... End of May, and 35 degrees Thursday night?? Come the fuck on... Totally unprepared for that kind of weather...

Anyway, can't wait for next year... after the festival this year I moved all my shit out to Colorado, so it was ALOT longer drive home this time then last year.

FYI... I LOVE COLORADO!

Well I know I had a great time at the Jubilee.... Only thing I could of done without is the freezing cold at night. I mean... DAMN... End of May, and 35 degrees Thursday night?? Come the fuck on... Totally unprepared for that kind of weather...

Anyway, can't wait for next year... after the festival this year I moved all my shit out to Colorado, so it was ALOT longer drive home this time then last year.

FYI... I LOVE COLORADO!

Herdy's in Colorado now?  Does that mean you're a Broncos fan now? :)

• 1 month later...

Archived