Boston - HOB - 5/30

found

If DSO only did recreations you'd probably hear Standing and Fantasy a fair amount less than Eyes, St. Stephen, and China Rider, but by no means would you not come across those songs. Still Truckin', it appears you have little affinity towards the slower heartfelt songs. I love to dance my ass off to a China>Rider, but at the same time a To Lay Me Down to slow me and bring out some tears is almost necessary if I'm looking for a consummate set list in my eyes. Do you not care for the songs: To Lay Me Down, Comes a Time, So Many Roads, Simple Twist of Fate, Positively 4th Street, Attics of My Life, etc.? How about even Stella Blue? Those are some serious Jerry ballads I could not live without. My only complaint about the slower songs is they often bring forth more crowd chatter. I respect your opinion even though it surprises me a little. So long as you aren't one of those people who starts having a full on conversation during Visions of Johanna you are cool in my book.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still Truckin', it appears you have little affinity towards the slower heartfelt songs. I love to dance my ass off to a China>Rider, but at the same time a To Lay Me Down to slow me and bring out some tears is almost necessary if I'm looking for a consummate set list in my eyes. Do you not care for the songs: To Lay Me Down, Comes a Time, So Many Roads, Simple Twist of Fate, Positively 4th Street, Attics of My Life, etc.? How about even Stella Blue? Those are some serious Jerry ballads I could not live without. My only complaint about the slower songs is they often bring forth more crowd chatter. I respect your opinion even though it surprises me a little. So long as you aren't one of those people who starts having a full on conversation during Visions of Johanna you are cool in my book.

Yes I like some ballads of course, Cos -- Stella Blue is a heart-wrenching meltdown of cosmic proportions.  I love about 1/2 the songs you list, the other 1/2 not so much.  I'm a picky guy.    I hate chatters, too.  I go roam around the lobby, visit the merch, and hit the john during Visions.  Go figure.  

• Forum MVP

Your entitled to your opinion StillTruckin and I think your opinion sucks.  Its complete crap.  Please try to be respectful of those that finds those slower more moving Jerry moments to be the most important moments of the show.  I don't care if you go crap, but do it quietly because some of us are on are way towards Nirvana or breakdown and either way it contains the most beautiful emotions of life.  

Sorry.  Can't fathom the thought that visions is a pee break song for anyone.  

Agree with the preveal the era idea. The Grateful Dead concert experience is different than the DSO originals. Seems like a preveal option like StillTruckin describes satisfies everyone and may draw even more people to shows further away from home. I know I would travel a bunch further to catch a 60's/'70's show, or stay out late on a school night more easily.

Thank you Kevin for enabling time travel and letting us hear that awesome bass sound again, and the mind boggling experience of being at entire Dead shows I wasn't even alive for. It really is a gift (I think Al Franken said that too).

Looking forward to a Boston area recreation after three originals in a row!

• Forum MVP

The last two Boston shows before this one were recreations. 76 and 72. For the record, I think the electives carry a little more risk but if you catch the right one, it feels much more rewarding. The recreations are more predictable yet give a time machine feel, which is of course fun and transcendental and what first drew me to DSO but having seem them so many times, I yearn for more electives. Feels more in the spirit of things.

The last two Boston shows before this one were recreations. 76 and 72. For the record, I think the electives carry a little more risk but if you catch the right one, it feels much more rewarding. The recreations are more predictable yet give a time machine feel, which is of course fun and transcendental and what first drew me to DSO but having seem them so many times, I yearn for more electives. Feels more in the spirit of things.

True, I was including the previous Lowell and Northampton shows as Boston area. Massachusetts then (:

Would love to be transported by an elective. Comparing either of the Wilbur shows to either of the HOB shows, well, everyone will have an opinion...  I do highly recommend purchasing the 1976 show that DSO released. Wish the 72 show had been published too (:

I think your opinion sucks.  Its complete crap.  Please try to be respectful...

Er, perhaps you are a little unclear on the concept of respectful.

Okay I was kidding about everything.  Every song is great, every era is great, each show is better than the last.  The slow songs are the most important, but so are the fast songs. Opinions are for jerks.  Electives are exactly equal to re-creations.  I pee in my pants at the shows so I don't have to miss a note.  Sorry if I was a speed bump on your way to Nirvana.

• Forum MVP

I think your opinion sucks. Its complete crap. Please try to be respectful...

Er, perhaps you are a little unclear on the concept of respectful.

Okay I was kidding about everything. Every song is great, every era is great, each show is better than the last. The slow songs are the most important, but so are the fast songs. Opinions are for jerks. Electives are exactly equal to re-creations. I pee in my pants at the shows so I don't have to miss a note. Sorry if I was a speed bump on your way to Nirvana.

Nice comeback bro...... LOL! MC is cool, he is so immersed he occasionally has trouble seeing past his own bounty of love for this music. He'd give you a hug on your way to the bathroom.

• Forum MVP

I had great parents.  I am not unclear at all on what respectful means.  I admitted my commented was less than respectful.  You got 2 sorry's out of me.  You should talk to the major members of my life.  2 sorry's is a lot.  You will rarely get one if I think I was right.  Even though my dad taught me the value of peace over being right.  I'm just too stubborn.  Let me try again to be a little bit more respectful in my disagreement of your opinion.  

Thank you for sharing your opinion StillTruckin.  Your opinion has great value in its vast contrast to my opinion.  We all have songs that we like more or less than others.  Tennessee Jed and hell, Truckin are two songs that I'm not always excited to hear in the set list.  I try not to drink too much booze during the show so I rarely have to pee during any song and I, generally, keep dancing regardless of the tune being played.  If I'm not dancing, its probably due to a personal lack of energy.  However, I can not get enough Dylan tunes; I have grown to appreciate some later dead material.  Like, some of your friends or people you've met along the way, I without a doubt prefer the Pigpen era style live, but I listen to all Dead on recording up to Brent's death.  I, like you, have chosen not to listen to some Dead, 91-95.  I am sure that this is my loss.  

Our opinions seem to diverge sharply when it comes to melancholy songs.  The songs that touch on lost love, death, and failure.  Let's for a broad general stroke refer to these songs as Jerry's romantics.  For me, I find the joyful emotions contained in eyes of the world and franklin's tower to have counterpart emotions that are equally of value, maybe even of greater value.  I grew up in a culture where men were discouraged to feel.  You might be able to call it modern day stoicism.  Before I found the GD, I had managed to surpress these emotions through whatever means necessary.  I always appeared happy because I refused to feel.  The fact is I was probably depressed.  I definitely wasn't in a good place.  Songs like So Many Roads, Comes a Time, Morning Dew, Stella Blue, etc, etc, etc taught me to feel these other emotions again.  They made me more whole.  I once again knew what it felt to cry, to be loved and to be not loved.  The truest of all beauties in life come through the ups and downs of love.  The sadness is as enriching as the happiness.

For me, a good GD concert or a good DSO concert is an emotionally driven spiritual journey.  When fully engaged, I soar to the highest heights of joy and to the lowest depths of sorrow.  I am reminded of the great joy I have in my life now and also the previous sadness from which I emerged.  I still have trouble expressing sadness and sorrow at any other place than a GD related concert.  It's the only place I really get to feel the whole gamut of emotions.  Any effort to do away with or to not play those songs that touch on emotions that I on a daily basis forget to feel would ruin it for me.  I need the highs and the lows.  Your opinion appears to suggest that you only want the highs.  That's okay.  We all got to do what works for us but I will never except that this music means nearly what it does to you as it does to me if all you care about are the happy positive party songs.  No disrespect, but you might have more fun at the Phish show.  I keep coming back to the DSO because it is one of the few vehicles in my life that allow me to be completely human.   

Keep DSO the way DSO feels it should be.  It hasn't failed me yet.

• Forum MVP

The slower the song, the more room left for dance interpretation. Don't get me wrong, I love a rippin eyes o the world, but I love it even more when it melts away into china doll, Stella blue, etc.

I've recently been exposed to and have gained an appreciation for gd post Brent. Not because I think Vince was a tasteful keyboard or because he had an at all tolerable voice...but it's still Jerry and he plays some of those songs with more soul than ever. You gotta poke around but there are definitely worthwhile shows in there. That being said, I can't stand the two keyboard era...

• Forum MVP

It's hard to sit through a 3 hour post brent show but when Jerry pulls it together spills his heart out for just one song... oof, nothing quite like it during those years.

• Forum MVP

I see all the songs connected. Just thinking and drinking is all have done today. Mixg g ed with so many roads to ease my soul all I need is one to lead me home. Feelings that echo, all i want to do is be with you....spread flames to a lit tower that offers positive motivation to find those roads. Pick up your China doll its only fractured, just alittle nervous from the fall. The could link many of the life moving tunes all day, I just come back to sometimesongs that we hear our just songs of our own. They are all my own, and 99 percent of all gd songs s have that life experience meaningful connection . To tell a aud what Ur going to play before hand takes the magic away. To tell artist how to generate and produce their craft is one of the most selfish things I have read on the board. Feel lucky you still got access to this shit!! I mean, really, its like your team is in first place and you want to make a personal change. Writing this from the door will shine in my back door someday, but with so many other flavorful hints of the darkest Jerry has to give me. The music is our lives through and through..to remove the winter no rebirth of spring . To take way our night, means no rest for when life gets weary:( perhaps why I never lost my passion for this magic just my access and knowledgg e. Not wanted to post, but this disscussion was compelling. Keep with what you do best DSO. A bad night of you is better than a fucking awesome night of anything else. I always drink before shows, and honestly rarely see. I think I sweat most of it out h

• Forum MVP

I've listened to some post Brent Dead.  I don't find it does it for me like the early material.  I have a lot of material yet to listen and I am sure I will return to the later dead material when I feel I have exhausted some of the other stuff.  Certain tunes, So Many Roads and Days Between, I love can only be heard in the latter stuff.  Star Child I am sure your getting lots of exposure to later dead as I imagine the house in which you live plays quite a bit.  

• Forum MVP

I have a lot of material yet to listen and I am sure I will return to the later dead material when I feel I have exhausted some of the other stuff.

Probably ain't gonna happen bro... Been listening to the same material since 85 and haven't exhausted it yet. :-)

Thanks so much for your kind and open response, Mason's Child -- our views are indeed divergent enough that we'd probably make fine friends.  I don't drink any booze at the shows, but my 61 year old bladder demands satisfaction.  Certainly our song preferences are yin and yang --Truckin and Tennessee are top top choices for me, Dylan covers not so much.   On the other hand when it comes to ballads, like you I live for a great turn at So Many Roads, Comes a Time, Morning Dew, Stella Blue, not to mention Black Peter.  I'm less appreciative of later era Jerry romantics. Your emotional attachment to this part of the Dead/DSO repertoire is clear from your message, I wouldn't pretend to be as deeply connected.  My deepest feelings about this scene revolve more around re-connecting with the most intense years of my life and of my passion for the dead (69-74) and mending the deep wound of '95.  Anyway, I wouldn't want to change any DSO shows, just add a layer for people like me who'd like a quiet preveal of the era. 

No way I would want to reveal the era ahead of time...half my satisfaction is the element of surprise when I get into the venue and head to see the stage setup...beginning my game of guess the show or era....just saying

No way I would want to reveal the era ahead of time...half my satisfaction is the element of surprise when I get into the venue and head to see the stage setup...beginning my game of guess the show or era....just saying

Wouldn't want to spoil your fun -- Reveal The Era would be on a webpage you don't have to look at.

Archived