Going Solo

Alabama Getaway

• Forum MVP

Some folks started traveling solo a ways back, met like-minded types along the way, and have seen the ranks now dwindle. You can be alone while traveling and that has advantages as well as some issues. But once the lights go down and the magic starts we are all Jerry's kids.

• Forum MVP

Family always asks me why do you go to these things alone. I say Im only alone til I get there, then its familiar friendly faces and the music I love so much. So what if i cant put names to faces. Whether sharing a knowing nod, smile, smoke, high five, or hug with people i dont know, i never feel like a stranger and ive never been alone at a DSO show. As far as travel i almost prefer it. No issues with when/where to eat, when to stop, music to listen too, and seems like i am more invisible on the road if im alone. Dont stick out like a carload of hippies. That being said when im not alone I'm travelling with children and that could be why also

• Forum MVP

I have been traveling solo to shows for sometime now.  Not just DSO, but even JGB and some GD.

Its a safe way to travel, as I don't stand out, and look like the rest of you Jerry loving hippies:}!!!!  I do what I want, and wont even share what I do to pass the time.  I know my interlocken ride and wait was so long, that I created the opportunity to make a whole class of kids------lol------but hey when you got 5 mins....let alone 6 hours----

I on the other hand, want to see as much DSO before my kids grow, and the money spent now on DSO will transfer to taking trips to National Parks!!!  Southern Utah most likely.

Nevertheless, I am traveling with many these coming shows, and it will be the first in a long long time!!!   I look forward to the conversation, and learning new things from others, so solo is great, but it does not take long to start networking at DSO.

Safe travels everyone always:}!!!!! 

• Forum MVP

The GD days were different for me.  I had a core group that hopped on the bus with me and I rarely travelled to and attended shows by myself.  Even as some of my initial touring friends jumped off, I had formed some good friendships on the road and we would help each other get to the next stop.  

For me DSO had largely been a solitary experience, save for the last few years.   When I discovered them, I had been unplugged from the GD related music scene for nearly 10 years or so and had lost touch with most of the folks I toured around with in the late 80’s early-mid 90’s.  I had left that life behind and nobody that was friends with me at the time was nearly as passionate about the music.  They certainly wouldn’t even think about driving 10+ hours to catch a show or 2.  I was on my own.  

I liked being alone.  It was lonely sometimes but it was also very cool to experience this deeply personal sound completely on my terms.  In reality, the travel was really the only part that was totally solitary.  When I got to shows I would always end up chattin up some like-minded folks and hang out before and during the shows.  This forum (thanks Ron) helped me connect with some good people during the Days Between so we could make plans to meet up and take some shows in together.  Lucky to have found some righteous folks on here.

• Forum MVP

Make sure those kiddos get exposed to the music so when they get old enough they want to go to shows. Taking the kids is certainly a more sober DSO experiance, but some of the strongest feelings ive ever had at shows have been seeing the excitement my boys have at shows. The fact that they "get it" i feel as proud as a father can be.

I went to most of my shows solo, Dead shows I would run into friends/aquaintances inside.  I usually bought extra tix just in case, They never went to waste. One time on my way into the Kaiser there was a girl looking for "an extra" I told her I had one, while she went to get money from her brother this dude (a known scalper) said he would buy it for $30 (face value), I told him no.  He offered me $40, I told him no!  The girl overheard the conversation and asked (with hesitation) how much I wanted?  I let her have it for a hug.

Archived