Did I read this right?

Tea

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

And that's why I listen to the bountiful gifts he left behind for us. I fail to see what him being dead has to do with anything. None of us would be on this website and following DSO if not for him. I love DSO and listen to plenty of them on and off the road, but garcia was the first and the best so you can bet your ass I want to listen to his creative genius more.

Like I said, the sentiment is a nice one. Nice to know he's spirit lives on in so many ways, but it's amazing to go directly to the source and hear the fat man play the guitar just like a ringing bell.

• Forum MVP

Jerry's spirit lives every time someone plays a GD song or DSO plays. The lure of a dead show was to see what magic they would create that night. Same with DSO. I get amazed every time I see these guys. They challenge my senses so I crave more and more.

• Forum MVP

Don't get me wrong fellas. Every time I see DSO I can feel Jerry shining down and nothing makes me happier. Everyone is on this forum because they love DSO and they give them a joy that is at the very least comparable to the joy GD brings. I just think it's insane to say "who cares if no one ever hears a note of what Jerry actually played ever again," because I care a lot.

"you don't have to worry about them trying to break up your favorite band by making the lead guitar player their guitar monkey"

Now. that.

is. some. funny.

shit.

and best of all, they play PURE grateful dead, not this new age bullshit those "other ones" play now. 

And. 

that. is. pure.

honesty.

"so who cares if no one ever hears a note of what Jerry actually played ever again, the music never stopped, we are all still alive bearing the torch in our own ways, it's more important to play it than listen to it….. "

And.

that. is.

absolute. dumbass.

Beam.

me. up. Jerry,.

Kirk. out.

• Forum MVP

You'll never play it with the right vibe without listening to it. When the student thinks he has learn all the tricks and doesn't need to listen anymore. The teacher knows that the true lesson was lost. Its important for some to play it, some to listen to it, and what's important or relevant only exists individually. Collectively, we remember and honor. I want to push things further but I will always take a sages advice.

• Forum MVP

Reminds me of the time after a killer DSO jam-filled tune, I turned to a younger fan and quipped that “Jeff really tore that up.”  His response: “Yeah, Jeff’s great, but I can’t allow myself to Love him, John is my guitar player.”  I was about to “CORRECT” him by saying, but Jerry is really THE guitar player – but I didn’t say anything – partly because it was just one of those brief exchanges we all have on the floor w/strangers, but mainly because this guy definitely was not out of his 20’s.  For him, DSO is his Dead history. 

I know my fondness for Brent and his so-called “toy piano” in the 80’s were often derided by older heads who said “Brent is no Keith.”  I know, and I would say, “That’s why we’re DANCING!”  Being picky and critical were often as much a part of the Dead scene as fun and kindness.  But like all discourse, there are respectful boundaries.

DSO holds a piece of the magic.  I’d rather see DSO than Furthur any day.  Trading a DSO show for 1 of the crappiest GD?  If I could transport the kids back to….a Dylan & the Dead show perhaps?  I wonder what the response would be…

Any VIP section at a Dead Show has almost the same ascetics as a fart in an elevator. 

A couple years ago, DSO played an outdoor show at Highland Park near Rochester NY. It was a BBQ & Bluesfest kind of thing, and DSO was the closing act.

They had a fenced in, VIP section right in front, on the left side of the stage, with tables and chairs. I actually felt sorry for the  people stuck inside the "pen". 

It was such a weird sight. A thick, hot and sweaty crowd going apeshit for a kickass, outdoor DSO show in mid July on one side. And on the other, a few awkward looking people, sorta getting into the music, but looking almost longingly at the happings amongst the decidedly NON-VIP denizens.

So keep your VIP seats.  I'll happily stand a few feet back with the rest of the mud people and get my freak on.

• Forum MVP

Back to the initial topic (although as a quick aside - please, Steph, don't give me cold sweats about the concept of never hearing another note that Jerry played!!), I see that the auction closes later this morning.  Some of the rail spots are still sitting on the $89 opening bids, and a few are as high as the mid $90s.  How cool would it be if this falls on its face?  Maybe the security monitoring the wristbands will prove more costly than the auction windfall.  

• Forum MVP

Got back stage at Pine Knob in 91---I think...maybe a year later, but I did not pay a cent more than anyone else!!!!    Would post the credentials if most of my past memorabilia did not get jacked or thrown away:{   

To the point.     I belive in making a living, but when it comes to the music, I find two tiers.   Those who love it, dance to it, or just let it rattle your soul, and those who just thinks its cool to see relics of a magical era.

Personally, I think Jerry would disapprove, and would have disapproved of many of the existing members actions for monetary gain.

Remember, the music was created out of a time when sharing was better than hoarding.   When your cup was full you passed it on, with out worries if you even get your cup back!!!!   I try to behave this way when I go to shows.   Yea, it hurts when you get back home, but I gain solace knowing that my actions impacted someone else's show for the good!!!!!!  More so, its how it used to be!!!! 

I tear knowing and experiencing this again through DSO.  Yea, it cost but loads of cash to do these things right, but charging for front row, with security on your ass!!!!   What ever.   Hope security lets you puff.   Would suck if they booted your wrist band butt for smoking indoors:}

Never been to the venue, and at this time in my life, I would choose DSO over RDog, Phil&f, and Furthur.    Honestly, I choose DSO over anyone!!!   DSO makes me cry laugh and smile, GD did the same.    Everything after I have heard is just noise.

I know that sounds harsh, but DSO is my GD before 89, and I am stuck in a good place musically!!!     Thank God!!!!!   

Its late, physically racked, mentally tired,,,,,,so forgive me if my words only make sense to me.   But I am in heaven spending 25-30 bills to hear DSO.   Yea, the travel and lodging sucks, but DSO is the only people I would do it for!!!!!

Remember, they booted me out of further Atlantic City, and Interloken, was too close to pass up, but I would trade all that for one more DSO show!!!!  Sorry Bobby, forgive me Phil.  Your always in my heart, but my feet only move the way they do to DSO these days.   

Though  I do admit, people remember me from Interlocken "Workman's Dead"!!!!!! at DSO shows!!!!!(you were that guy)   But I am sure this year, people will say the opposite at Interlocken.    "Dude, were you not that guy at the 930 club, Jefferson Theatre.    Yea, I am that guy that enjoys the music and dance like no one is watching, but oddly enough, I find myself dancing harder near those who have not got it yet.   I just hope they get the energy and feel it too!!!!!!

Lost in thought, strained with emotions, forgive my ramble, I just miss GD and the spirit of the music, but I have found it again in DSO.  Seeing familure faces at DSO takes me back, but I started GD late, so I am in glory that I have DSO to play the tunes I always wanted to hear!!!!! 

Support DSO, and let the wealthy talkers Phil in  TRX.     

No spite here, as I love Phil and Bobby, I just think the money distorts the music.

If you cant tell.......I am just getting out of my DSO NYE run depression, only wanting and needing more!!!   

A wise Vegas man said once....."its hard on this side"!!!!   Yes it is,   Yes it fucking is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bobby, Thanks Phil, and God Bless Jerry!!!!    

• Forum MVP

actually, when the student masters what the teacher is teaching, the time for "no more reading" comes and what happens is spontaneous manifestation of the MESSAGE that was bigger than the teacher ever was.  duh.

sorry to offend and maybe i got a little carried away, but seriously, the whole hang up on the messenger mystifies me.  i mean, i get it on the same level as like I have mad respect for the buddha but recognize he would be nothing without the message and that the transcendent dharma is what enabled him to become the buddha in the first place, but Jerry was just a man…. playing in the band.  it is WAY COOLER to recognize that he changed the whole freaking world with a few notes of music, and that as long as people honorably pass down that transmission, there is no fear of his physical notes being erased.  

how could he ever be gone? do you really think just not hearing the notes would erase his work?!?! do you think that little of this music?!?! or maybe you just give one individual too much credit bc we would all like to think individuals do SOMETHING (though none of us do ANYTHING….. u know?)  there IS NO DOER. he knew it, that's why he would NEVER have charged extra like Phil is doing. 

sorry to worry anyone though, 2012 is past and technology didn't crash, i think your terabytes are safe for now ;)

kiss kiss love ya'll

• Forum MVP

i think your terabytes are safe for now

Probably so, but one of my Beta decks ate a tape ('75 Legion of Mary) and my second Beta exhibits occasional phantom dropouts.  I bought a Beta on ebay and it doesn't like tracking to my PCM, so I'm thinking perhaps another Sony SL-HF360 like the decks that originally cloned all my tapes is necessary.  Not your typical 21st Century technology problem.  At least the DAT players are going strong!

The good news is that virtually all these recordings are on various terabyte drives elsewhere.  But some of the reference audience tapes are not.

As long as thread drift is in full swing, I recently heard a matrix of Barton Hall '77.  Betty DBX decoded reels, remastered by a one Rob Eaton, mixed with hand held Shure mics.  Stunning.

• Advisory Board

Let's never forget that the playing of the music is one thing. A great thing. A huge thing. I will be the first to say that DSO plays the music with the Buddha incarnate style. They are the Masters of the sound. They have snatched the pebble. They are "it" for me.

The writing and creation of the words and the sound is another thing entirely. This belongs only to the Grateful Dead. In my world this will never be equaled or recreated. That was the bigger genius in the equation. That is where we must pay homage and respect and remember where the well springs from.

Dr. Barry

• Forum MVP

I will never agree that there is no more need for reading or learning. Life without learning is life without growth. I hope my growth doesnt stop until I'm dead. Inherent in the message for me is that we constantly strive for self improvement; it never ends. If it does, we missed the message in the first place. We will have to disagree there. I'm sure Jeff still listens to Jerry.

• Forum MVP

I can still see Jerry coming in the front door of the Stone as we waited in line January of 1987 for his $10.00 two set shows! This was right before the Chinese New year's shows at SF Civic. Or the three set show he did up at Eel River in 1987 for $15.00.  Also, gas was under a $1.00 so we kinda had it made back then, don't ya think?

• Forum MVP

what is there to know other than emptiness… or…. space, maybe? there is a time and a place for everything. there was a time and a place for Jerry.  there is now a time and place for DSO and those they bring remembrance of…. well, space…. to.  

learning ceases when the mind recognizes emptiness because what is there to really know when everything is impermanent? once we learn enough to generate true compassion and see that all is empty… SPACE…. well, that's kinda it…. then, well, 

we just ride.

not that i am there yet and not that i am not a complete bibliophile (many of you know of my book obsession hehe) cause I am just a lil star head dreadie girl w yogini dreams and a heart just as broken by life as everyone else's and as mended by the grateful fucking dead as all of yours I just feel compelled to bring some reminders of why it is that I love the way I feel at DSO shows so very very much. 

i wish i had seen Jerry.   then again, last time, I DID! hehehehe

kiss kiss

(and I feel you about worrying about older media formats….. good luck!!!!)

also, does transferring ones terabyte over and over degrade sound quality at any point? 

Digital formats cannot "lose quality". They are exactly the same quality as they day they were ripped, forever, unless someone re-encodes them or they experience file corruption, which is not (strictly speaking) quality degradation.

Your physical media can degrade, but this isn't like analog media degradation. Tapes (DAT & Cassette) are sensitive to magnetism (not X-Ray) Hard Drives are prone to failure (I've had them fail in less than a year) CD/DVD are most reliable. If you take care of them (don't use them as frisbees or coasters) they will last for MANY years. 

If you're concerned about long term preservation, rip your music in a lossless format and make backup files. The lossless format will be exactly the same as the original source for all time, and the backup protects against data loss or corruption.

I am in the process of backing up my shows!  FLAC on DVD-R

Archived