GAMH #2

sonomajon

• Forum MVP

hopefully was as strong as when they did it last year's 2nd night Jubilee ..has been really great setlist selection this tour Rob

Broome County Arena, Binghamton, NY (Sun)

Half Step, Jack Straw, Tenn. Jed, Mexicali> Me & My Uncle, FOTD, Minglewood, Dupree's, Passenger, Dire Wolf, Music

Samson, Sunrise, Scarlet> Fire> Good Lovin', St. Stephen> Drums> NFA> Wharf Rat> St. Stephen> Truckin'

e: Johnny B. Goode

• Forum MVP

This is one of my favorite 77 dead shows. See you guys outdoor in Socal.

hell yeah, #1 truckin' of all time imo

DSO or GD?

Pretty sure GD although Sonomajon was prolly at both and could expound :)

That GD Truckin was indeed one of the very best!  It's got some competition but it just explodes like none other.

• Forum MVP

They nailed the Truckin' jam.  Which brings up a question for you DSO tour freaks...are there other examples of when DSO had obviously listened to the original show and specially tailored a jam accordingly?  They clearly did so here.  The band wound things down in the middle of the Truckin' jam, and Jeff busted out the completely unique blues runs that Jerry exploded with on 11/6/77.  And the drummers came in with the totally unique syncopation at the end of the guitar flurries.  Then they built back up to the final climax. 

On the one hand, there are only so many examples in the Dead's history where a jam was sufficiently different than any other as to warrant this treatment.  And doing this is against the DSO mission statement of just using the set list and the arrangements of the era as a launching pad to their own improvising.  But hearing that jam last night at least brought up this line of inquiry.

• Forum MVP

Oh, and huge versions of Half Step, Music, and Fire on the Mountain.

Filler was Box of Rain, which explains Skip's vocal mic.  But this doesn't explain Skip singing harmonies on Truckin' - what gives?  :huh:

• Forum MVP

Oh, and huge versions of Half Step, Music, and Fire on the Mountain.

Filler was Box of Rain, which explains Skip's vocal mic. But this doesn't explain Skip singing harmonies on Truckin' - what gives? :huh:

Didn't Phil share Bobby's mic on the original?

Another recent example is the Hollywood show from last fall.  They were playing 9/25/91 Boston, in the jam out of Playin' leading into Terrapin Jerry starts playing the music lead into the Terrapin bridge/chorus(???) and everyone followed along then nicely dropped into the proper first verse of Terrapin.  DSO re-created that moment exactly perfectly. :-)

They nailed the Truckin' jam.  Which brings up a question for you DSO tour freaks...are there other examples of when DSO had obviously listened to the original show and specially tailored a jam accordingly?  They clearly did so here.  The band wound things down in the middle of the Truckin' jam, and Jeff busted out the completely unique blues runs that Jerry exploded with on 11/6/77.  And the drummers came in with the totally unique syncopation at the end of the guitar flurries.  Then they built back up to the final climax. 

On the one hand, there are only so many examples in the Dead's history where a jam was sufficiently different than any other as to warrant this treatment.  And doing this is against the DSO mission statement of just using the set list and the arrangements of the era as a launching pad to their own improvising.  But hearing that jam last night at least brought up this line of inquiry.

• Forum MVP

Perfect show to make an exit after.... From the half step to skips box in my face just how i like it it was the one I had been swooning for! Half step jack?!?!? OK!!!!! Wonderful dance space w family and epic show! The entire first set was great but the focus was def saved for the massive deeply geeked out second set ;) the passenger and he music were quite noteworthy, as the dancers seemed to just take over the whole world with spinning rainbows that the band willingly supplied!!! Never ever stopped, thank Jerry! (And DSO!!!)

Samson rocked us into the good ol story of the second set and we made some sweet honey together!!! Bzzzzzzzzzz!!!! The sunrise was even more spectacular than the other one (the other sunrise i mean lmao) and I think i Finally found a really nice space in my groove for such a sacred emergence. So sweet! Thank you, Goddess Lisa! Best part was the follow up w scarlet bc Lisa had already become an angel and her supplications floated through us all in the most subtlety sublime ways.... Love the cooing part of scarlet when Lisa does it so much! (Bc when I hear Donna do it I am instantly transported to a goddess realm, so seeing Lisa really makes it real for me!!!)

Sexy transition to fire and what a fire we burned!!!! Hot!!!! Right into good love..... Ahhhhh!!!!! At this point I gave up and have decided I will never find my face again, it has been lost in love n rainbows too long to even remember to search for it! But dang..... That good lovin and those bright sparkly rainbows sure are better than a self ;) at this point i look around the coffee shop on the island and the sweet guy sitting across from me in paradise and my smile smile smile is getting bigger and bigger and my heart is on the verge of exploding remembering how much i love dancing with this music with you people while these guys n girl r playing it so sweet n true!!!

Love!!!!!

Thought I was having a great show then the Stephen to truckin segment kicked in and I could barely hold on! Sooooo great!!! Neeeeded that additional st Stephen to my tour (the repeats can be useful check in w life tools!) and falling into the NFA just busted all that good lovin is to everyone and no one was driven back! One of my fave wharf rats recently by FAR and I wasn't disappointed in the least to have this as my final ballad of tour (my ego used to be PICKY! Wtf?!?) in fact I flew the fuck away! Gone gone gone beyond om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha!!!!!!!!! Let's go to that other shore together, no, after you!!!!

Back to Stephen and wowsa!!! So timely and epic and thick w heavy jam to complement the thick bready sustenance of Musical bliss this band always shoves down our throats ;) don't stop, please do not ever stop!!!!!

And of course, the epic truckin and I was ready to get back truckin on and not be sitting around crying at home ever again!!! Go Johnny go go, Johnny be GOOD!!!! Hehehehehe kiss kiss!

The box filler began this tour and ended it for me, thanks Skip! Ain't no better way to have it! Long long time to be gone, always such a short time to be there!

Don't know when I will be back. Hawaii stole my heart like DSO stole my face and Dharma stole my mind. Ahhhh! Spinning for u all from here, kiss kiss, darlings!!!!!! Latest be back by Blk mtn..............

Archived