Santa Clara #1

Tea

• Forum MVP

Soundcheck:

Setlist: Althea, Brown Eyed Women, Truckin’, Uncle John’s Band, Alligator, Cumberland Blues, Born Cross-eyed, Cream Puff War (many times), St. Stephen > William Tell Bridge > The Eleven (many attempts at WT > The Eleven, Lovelight, Space, Drums

Read more: http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/stream-grateful-deads-santa-clara-soundcheck/#ixzz3eHieNd3D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Thanks for this, Tea. Gotta love the airplanes in the background--I'm imaging them all being incoming flights packed with deadheads from all directions...

Has anyone figured out how to get in and pay for the youtube streams. I've got to the page that offers the show and it says "this video requires payment to watch" but I see nowhere to click to begin the payment process...anyone that can shed some light on this? I'm gonna do the Sunday show if I can figure this out...

Thanks!

• Forum MVP

Setlist

Set One: Jam -> Truckin’, Uncle John’s Band, Alligator -> Cumberland Blues, Born Cross-Eyed > Cream Puff War, Viola Lee Blues

Set Two: Cryptical Envelopment -> Dark Star -> St. Stephen -> The Eleven -> Turn On Your Love Light -> Drums/Space -> What's Become Of The Baby -> The Other One - > Morning Dew

Encore: Casey Jones

Never made it to the 2nd set although I heard there was some notable improvement later on. I really wanted it to be good but it's was definitely practice time. Not tryin to hate too much but Hornsby had a bad night - he was lost out there and his vocals were surprisingly poor.

Again, only saw 1st set, YMMV. Hope anyone that went had a good time. I appreciate the riskiness of the set list!

• Forum MVP

On paper. Set looks good. I'm going to tune in tonight and listen to last night's today. Saw the Stones in KC last. Solid

I've heard mixed but mostly negative "ish" reviews of the music played. I'm definitely going to try to leave my preconceived notions at the door and not call the entirety of last night's show and treyful dead a throwaway. I'm hopeful it does something for me. I'm sure it did for those that were there.

• Forum MVP

Listening to a re-broadcast

http://mixlr.com/the-kush-bush/

Gotta say that Bobby prolly had the best night of the lot with Billy being right there - yes Billy. Phil and Trey were ok. Trey was just trying to find his zone and Phil was trying to over-orchestrate.

All in all - a little better then I thought but still a long way to go if they want ChiTown to be more than just about the fan reunion.

• Forum MVP

What's become of the baby was actually the trippiest - more so than dark star. Phils vocals actually added to the weirdness.

Having now listened to the whole thing, I'm pleasantly surprised. Very slow start (expected), Viola Lee was the highlight of set one.

Lovelight was really quite good and Trey got pretty shreddy during Dew. Eleven was a bit of a wreck.

Transitions were rough (expected) and with that kinda list, Bruce was a fish outta water on the piano. I suspec tonight will be more of crowd-pleasing rocker and Bruce will redeem in his wheelhouse. A very phishy guitar tone but only a few times did I think Trey wanted Tweezer.

Not sure how better the paid streams were - the ones I found sounded pretty solid.

Happy Sunday everyone!

• Forum MVP

If you go YouTube, you gotta sign-in or register.

Thx Tea...I was scoping it out on my iTouch which I learned doesn't work but no prob getting through to pay on the laptop...looking forward to checking it out tonight--very curious.

I opted for some live funk locally for my Saturday night...boogie down til 2am

• Forum MVP

Preshow what sounded like a foghorn blasted. Several times. Behind the hotels it was beautiful rolling country side where parking lot Red 6 lay. Nice pond. The sandpit of golf course roped off. That would be a bad day to fall in. Lol Breezy and quite a relief from the 90s.

The night was a jam loosely constructed around set list. Had hoped for Cumberland, Viola Lee, the Eleveb and Morning Dew. Cumberland Blues boogied. I thought it was amusing to start with Truckin. The time to get in the show was nutz/ walking down and crossing the tracks: standing in line with no movement and finally through the metal detectors. saw old family friend Kelly as walked in. A bit to get to the floor. Free range dance space up and down the right side. Cryptically into Dark Star was surprising and it was nice to have St Stephen burst out ..... Hmmm during intermission I could hear Morning Dew instrumentally played at a low volume... It actually sprinkled rain, in relief watering us as it was a trek all day and the search light casting for libation was not an option. həkəkəkəkə Watching footage of Jerry, Billy, Bob and Mickey scuba diving. Jerry called in a school of yellow fish, with these yellow and blue gloves, held an octopus. A rainbow appeared above the stage at one point. At the back of the coliseum was three flags- CA, USA, and rainbow. Gay Pride parade happened in SF yesterday as well as the Annual Librarian convention of 20,000 attendees. lovelight was fun and saw Gloria from Blk Mrn. Hit a break during drums and What's Become of the Baby was so freaking weird catching phrases and really not except silver thread and golden needle. the graphics spiraling. Other One a relief to cinch the net. Morning Dew opened up and space was sweet and joyful. Reach out and touch faith leaving, climbing out the pit in the stillness to climb to friends and reunite. Bruce sang Casey Jones and it was meh. Ok Casey Jones. Met a fella from Nottingham who saw the Dead once Halloween 1990 encoring with Werewolves of London who said they call the BBC big bag of cocaine. I really can't write the other acronym name. I miss Jeremy off of Top Gear. Sad that he got canned. Fella sad Jeremy would taunt the media to come find him. I like his opinion. We motored home with a dearth of lot food to the Hawaiian BBQ. Had spammisubi . Portuguese sausage misubi too. Freaking amazing with onion cake and glazed crullers as a warm up for snack.

Maybe the pool, amusement park and then the show today. happy Sunday *aloha* enough of my ramblings ;D

• Forum MVP

Preshow what sounded like a foghorn blasted. Several times. Behind the hotels it was beautiful rolling country side where parking lot Red 6 lay. Nice pond. The sandpit of golf course roped off. That would be a bad day to fall in. Lol Breezy and quite a relief from the 90s.

The night was a jam loosely constructed around set list. Had hoped for Cumberland, Viola Lee, the Eleveb and Morning Dew. Cumberland Blues boogied. I thought it was amusing to start with Truckin. The time to get in the show was nutz/ walking down and crossing the tracks: standing in line with no movement and finally through the metal detectors. saw old family friend Kelly as walked in. A bit to get to the floor. Free range dance space up and down the right side. Cryptically into Dark Star was surprising and it was nice to have St Stephen burst out ..... Hmmm during intermission I could hear Morning Dew instrumentally played at a low volume... It actually sprinkled rain, in relief watering us as it was a trek all day and the search light casting for libation was not an option. həkəkəkəkə Watching footage of Jerry, Billy, Bob and Mickey scuba diving. Jerry called in a school of yellow fish, with these yellow and blue gloves, held an octopus. A rainbow appeared above the stage at one point. At the back of the coliseum was three flags- CA, USA, and rainbow. Gay Pride parade happened in SF yesterday as well as the Annual Librarian convention of 20,000 attendees. lovelight was fun and saw Gloria from Blk Mrn. Hit a break during drums and What's Become of the Baby was so freaking weird catching phrases and really not except silver thread and golden needle. the graphics spiraling. Other One a relief to cinch the net. Morning Dew opened up and space was sweet and joyful. Reach out and touch faith leaving, climbing out the pit in the stillness to climb to friends and reunite. Bruce sang Casey Jones and it was meh. Ok Casey Jones. Met a fella from Nottingham who saw the Dead once Halloween 1990 encoring with Werewolves of London who said they call the BBC big bag of cocaine. I really can't write the other acronym name. I miss Jeremy off of Top Gear. Sad that he got canned. Fella sad Jeremy would taunt the media to come find him. I like his opinion. We motored home with a dearth of lot food to the Hawaiian BBQ. Had spammisubi . Portuguese sausage misubi too. Freaking amazing with onion cake and glazed crullers as a warm up for snack.

Maybe the pool, amusement park and then the show today. happy Sunday *aloha* enough of my ramblings ;D

That was a solid ramble PG :). And I thought sunny was the master of a good ramble. He just got topped :)

• Forum MVP

Currently watching a YouTube of a dude who video'd his tv. Kills some sound and you get a little commentary like "look. They are teaching trey on stage"

The light show looks bad ass. Definitely bigger than the 95 productions, but we didbt have LED screens in those days. I bet the sound is sick. The people in tbe front row have the worst spot. Looking up at a 9' tall stage would leave my neck cramped.

DSO has spoiled me. I'm expecting a mattson quality guitar and trey ain't that. Is Bruce even hardly playing. Seems like when Keith Would disappear in 78. Every time I see him on vid he doesn't seem comfortable at all. Wonder how much practice he got.

• Forum MVP

That was awful.

Where is Chimenti and Bruce in the mix? Can barely every hear them. 

I'm guessing it will get better...seems like everyone(or at least a lot of people) is loving tho so I guess we'll just have to leave it up to personal experience.

• Forum MVP

In regards to the song selection ..

Truckin' is the youngest in terms of 1st time played .. interesting thought process here by the core 4 ... also putting it as opener with the iconic "what a long strang trip it's been" line ...nice touch

What's become of the Baby ... only played live once by the Dead... this had people in audience thinking .. again nice touch

they went to the roots in this setlist .. goodness I wish I was there ... but so happy for those that are !!

• Forum MVP

Mango I respect your opinion. Your review worries me. To each his own the nice non ego driven way to say people don't hear right. We know people do splintered over dso. They cant hear right. I hope your wrong. They played some of my fave last night.

• Forum MVP

The setlist on paper is great for me...

It was entertaining to watch but I sensed (from listening and watching) that there was very little band connection going on whatsoever. And they clearly didn't rehearse at all.

There is a really judgemental part of me that just feels like this is a huge money driven fraud. I know it's all just in the realm of opinion but it seriously sounded so flat to me. Why is there a space jam in every song? Is it supposed to be more of a journey or something?? Cause to me it sounds like they can't keep the flow going and use the jam's to fill time. And why does Mickey have no cymbals??? The drums sounded so thin, incomplete.

ah, whatever...

• Forum MVP

Opinions like ass holes. Mine right and tight others simply shit or fucked. Of course they might think that bout mine. I'm gonna listen tonight. See what I think. Try without being there to see how it makes me feel.

Just got to drums-gonna give the receiver a rest. Could fry an egg on it right now! Yeah, I like it LOUD :excl:

I couldn't get Tea's link to work-I'm sure its operator error tho... :wacko:

Having fun on a Sunday afternoon! Might have to crack a cold one! B)

Bobby does sound great!

Enjoy your Sunday peeps!

Archived