Santa Clara #1

Tea

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Listen to the sound cloud link. Good quality board. Was disappointed with the Dew. Trey is technical but doesn't play with the emotion needed for that song. He doesn't tell me a story like Jerry would. And bobby isn't an emotional singer like Jerry was. That came through. Bobby was the rock star and dew is the opposite of that. Musically it's better than Furthur and pretty much Dead style playing. Bill hasn't lost a step and was solid. Did Mickey play with those brushes all night???? What was up with that. He is supposed to raise those sticks high and bash some toms.

• Forum MVP

I thought furthur was hit or miss. I need to listen to the show but I thought high on furthur on their good nights. That was a train wreck at first but you remember that first night althea? It dripped with emotion and feeling at the Fox in Oakland.

• Forum MVP

Jk shred dew with furthur multiple times including Chicago before the long drive to the vibes. I has lost my ID and had to switch tickets to jenna's name. Found my ID at gas station we had used. Cost us 2 hours after show before trip out. The philly comes a time led to smile cries. I wasn't at the show last night but furthur got me off some nights. Branford red rocks and the steal your face with jk singing eyes was incredible. One of the best experiences I've had at a whow. Not top 10 but you get the idea.

• Forum MVP

I was more referring to furthurs style. This Santa Clara show tried to sound like the dead of old when furthur had their own style not beholden to the dead. I think a lot of this is bill on drums. 70yrs old and was spot on playing like he always has. I've skipped around in the show a lot but Bill has been the one consistent voice the whole time. Creative as always. His jazz drumming always puts a smile on my face. Guessing he could do this until he's 90 and not lose a step.

• Forum MVP

I was more referring to furthurs style. This Santa Clara show tried to sound like the dead of old when furthur had their own style not beholden to the dead. I think a lot of this is bill on drums. 70yrs old and was spot on playing like he always has. I've skipped around in the show a lot but Bill has been the one consistent voice the whole time. Creative as always. His jazz drumming always puts a smile on my face. Guessing he could do this until he's 90 and not lose a step.

I think Santa Clara sounded like 6/27/15

• Forum MVP

I just meant they sounded like the dead and furthur didn't always sound like the dead. The singing not so much like dead with others singing Jerry but the style was true to the 65-95 dead.

• Forum MVP

Hey Shappy I'll take a garden hose and mist the sky and make a rainbow for 10k. I might need something bigger like a fire hose with a mister attachment but that shouldn't be an issue except for the water restrictions in Cali, but I'd say this is essential water use.

• Forum MVP

I'm old school...I prefer natural rainbows that don't cost anything...

And they used to show up on their own fairly often when the boys were playing.

How do they generate it?

A rainbow formed while "The Dead" were playing "Good Loving".

For a while it was a double rainbow and a vee of geese flew through the bow in the distance.

This was the day before Jerry's birthday in 2003, Atlanta.

• Forum MVP

Watched some of it this afternoon , it sucked ... Billy is the only drummer ... Mickey's kick has no pedal attached to the kick drum ,its just there for looks ... he doesn't have a high-hat , ride or crash cymbals and he is banging on those toms with big nylon brushes ... its a one drummer show and Billy isn't carrying it all that well , so no big drumming power coming from the stage ... again , as in Furthur , the lead guitar is not leading the band  or conducting , so the jams are flat and go nowhere ... beautiful stage , big screens , fire works , rainbows and a bunch of folks searching for what was , sorry , but what was left  us in 1995 ...

• Forum MVP

I'm old school...I prefer natural rainbows that don't cost anything...

And they used to show up on their own fairly often when the boys were playing.

How do they generate it?

A rainbow formed while "The Dead" were playing "Good Loving".

For a while it was a double rainbow and a vee of geese flew through the bow in the distance.

This was the day before Jerry's birthday in 2003, Atlanta.

Saw the most beautiful rainbow form over the stage while Robert Hunter played at the Alpine Valley reunion shows in 2002. He had no idea why the crowd was going nuts in the middle of his number.

• Forum MVP

Santa Clara

6/28/2015

SET 1:

Feel Like a Stranger

New New Minglewood Blues

Brown Eyed Woman

Loose Lucy

Loser

Row Jimmy

Alabama Getaway

Black Peter

Hell in a Bucket

SET 2:

1/2 Step Mississippi Uptown Troodleoo >

Wharf Rat >

"space" >

Eyes of the World >

He's Gone >

Drums w Sikiru Adepoju >

I Need a Miracle >

Death Don't Have No Mercy >

Sugar Magnolia

Made it through 1st set only - Very rough stuff.

• Forum MVP

Night 2 was a much better night ... actually pretty darn good ... Trey seemed to take control of his part in the band and laid down some  good jamming ... the whole band seemed more comfortable with the scene and did their best to cut loose and play ... Black peter was pretty disappointing , but all in all a better show musically than the first one  ...

• Forum MVP

Night 2 was a much better night ... actually pretty darn good ... Trey seemed to take control of his part in the band and laid down some  good jamming ... the whole band seemed more comfortable with the scene and did their best to cut loose and play ... Black peter was pretty disappointing , but all in all a better show musically than the first one  ...

You're not fooling me Konopka. Welcome back!

Archived