Wharf Rat
Sugar Magnolia
Dark Star
St. Stephen
Not Fade Away
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Not Fade Away

• Forum MVP

Had a few friends over to watch the show.  The sound through the stereo was just stellar!!  Amazing spatial sound.  It sounded at times like we were there in the crowd.  After the show I tried to find a dead show to listen to, but after 4:10 of this, even the best recording quality dead shows sounded stale.  I had to go to spring 90 for pure board quality and it still wasn't the feel of that show in terms of live sound.  Just an outstanding sound job guys.  We commented many times how amazing the quality was.  Oh and the show was pretty amazing too!!!  I did dance for around 1 hour of the show.  Meili asked before, "Are you going to dance tonight."  Im like you know I cant control myself when I hear dead so likely so.

Loved that King Bee and Ive never been a huge dead blues fan. That hard to handle had an off the charts jam.  I had to ask what song were we in as that jam was nuts!! hard to get a 2nd set much better than that in terms of unique setlist.

Was telling my buddy what a banner year 71 was for Dead song releases.  Hands down the best year of songwriting for the dead. You could argue that 1970 was close but in order of times played, 71 was the year. In case you were curious, heres the 71 list of releases.  Lots of set 1 standards.  If you added me an my uncle i wouldn't doubt there were some 71 only 1st sets out there.

1971 1st played live(a couple had some rehearsals in dec 70 but not in front of fans)

Bertha

Loser

Greatest Story

Wharf Rat

Playin' in the Band

Bird Song

Deal

Sugaree

Mr. Charlie

Brown Eyed Women

Tennessee Jed

Jack Straw

Mexicali Blues

Comes A Time 

One More Saturday Night

Ramble On Rose

Chinatown Shuffle

Unfortunately tonight is UK/Michigan state and Duke/Kansas so wont get night 2 of the stream.  Nice way to kick off a hoops season!

• Forum MVP

Good looking '71 list there, rude.  It would be interesting to see a first time in '70 list next to that to check your hypothesis. But I think a few of the songs one would consider great new '70 material were actually debuted in December of '69, like Black Peter and Uncle John's Band.

• Forum MVP

Friend of the Devil

Candyman

Attics of My Life

Sugar Magnolia

To Lay Me Down

Truckin'

Ripple

Brokedown Palace

Operator

Box of Rain

Till The Morning Comes

Great list for sure, but not quite the 71 output.  If you look at times played I'd guess 71 doubles any other years songs played. 

• Forum MVP

I found out kinda late that the Webcast was happening.  Might stream tonight based on Rude's review of the sound quality.  I would have thought the opposite could potentially be the case.

I streamed through an unused iphone to my apple TV connected directly into my receiver then I have an HDMI out to my TV even though the TV is permanently muted.  Honestly there were times when we considered turning off the TV to listen only.  Im not a fan of watching Dead shows on youtube.  Its all about the sound. But the video was very high quality.  I had to adjust my treble up slightly, but after that it sounded amazing.  They made sure to pipe ambient noise to create the effect of being there, versus the soundboards which keep those levels lower.

But I'd suggest going to John A's house to watch.  His speakers are out of this world.  Dont think about stealing them unless you have a forklift handy.

Rude-

I'm not a fan of watching the Dead either.  It is boring and somehow "disconnects" me from the music in a way.  The one thing I do like is watching Jerry. Particularly when Bobby and Brent are really going off on one of their vocal rants.  There's times during some of these where you catch Jerry between the two of them just smiling and giggling at their antics.  You know he's thinking, "Who do these guys think they are?"  LOVING every second of it.  It's always a delight for me seeing the obvious joy Jerry was in during those years between the coma and Brent's death.

John A, I'll be over at 7:30  :icon14:

• Forum MVP

Wish I was there to see or there to listen with you guys!!!! What a sexy looking show!!!! Been playin the shit outta good ol DSO out here in the hills. Danced on Halloween in the kitchen. Been turning my new honey on to the band created in part by his first "Jerry" at Futhur. u know, it makes me a lil sad that so many kids don't get that we have this special band that does what all you fortunate ones got when u were kids. But I don't mind our lil secret staying that way- but I will keep doing my duty bringing the good ones home ;) he's ready hehehe.

See u all in Richmond- as much as I can muster til the new year rolls around. Not gonna miss a new year w my new guy but Richmond will be great since I need to go see my fam anyway ;) my mom said "you always make me second fiddle to that damn band!" And refused my offer to take her to the show :( oh well hehehe.

But this year is going to be my year of bliss- it's the 50th anniversary of the summer of love and a great time to be alive! I'm very excited to get back truckin on and I am spending my days working hard knowing we will be flailing away the dew oh so very soon. Kiss kiss!!!!

• Forum MVP

They are the Wilson Audio Alexia.  The crazy thing is, at 260 lbs per channel, they aren't a scaled up version of something smaller, but rather they're designed as a scaled down version of a more massive speaker system.  Apparently some homes can't accommodate a pair of 6 foot tall 750 lb loudspeakers.   :wacko:

In the meantime, Dave Wilson, at 70 and near retirement, is preparing to release his magnum opus, the Wilson Audio WAMM.  Advanced photos have just been released, but no further details. I can't fathom what these things will cost.  Should throw a pretty big sound stage though.

7th-2000x2577-83.jpg

• Forum MVP

They are the Wilson Audio Alexia. The crazy thing is, at 260 lbs per channel, they aren't a scaled up version of something smaller, but rather they're designed as a scaled down version of a more massive speaker system. Apparently some homes can't accommodate a pair of 6 foot tall 750 lb loudspeakers. :wacko:

In the meantime, Dave Wilson, at 70 and near retirement, is preparing to release his magnum opus, the Wilson Audio WAMM. Advanced photos have just been released, but no further details. I can't fathom what these things will cost. Should throw a pretty big sound stage though.

7th-2000x2577-83.jpg

The wife will never know you dropped 500k on a pair of WAMM. You were one of the 1st Microsoft investors right? :)

• Forum MVP

They are the Wilson Audio Alexia. The crazy thing is, at 260 lbs per channel, they aren't a scaled up version of something smaller, but rather they're designed as a scaled down version of a more massive speaker system. Apparently some homes can't accommodate a pair of 6 foot tall 750 lb loudspeakers. :wacko:

In the meantime, Dave Wilson, at 70 and near retirement, is preparing to release his magnum opus, the Wilson Audio WAMM. Advanced photos have just been released, but no further details. I can't fathom what these things will cost. Should throw a pretty big sound stage though.

7th-2000x2577-83.jpg

The wife will never know you dropped 500k on a pair of WAMM. You were one of the 1st Microsoft investors right? :)

Jeeeeezus.  Where's the steering wheel?  That thing is bigger than my college apartment.

• Forum MVP

Good news regarding the WAF (audiophile term = Wife Acceptance Factor) on these things is that if you have a half million to drop that won't move your financial needle then you also have a dedicated room to put them in.  So she won't be walking past them as she hangs up her coat.   Makes the original 80s version of the WAMM look decidedly primitive.

a3377b9368a05a966623c81d5362fb69.jpg

• Forum MVP

While you wouldn't want to drive Wilson speakers with little flea powered tube amps, they are surprisingly efficient. The crossover networks aren't terribly complex.  The specified minimum for my Alexias is 20 watts.  That's not going to give you proper Phil bombs at realistic levels of course.  But my 200 watt solid state Ayre Acoustics amplifier has yet to run out of juice.

As for the WAMM, probably more like 100 watts is a safe minimum. 

Archived