Estimated

NorthEast

Hey guys

Tonight while driving home from work I fell in love with an original dead recording of estimated prophet! It was a version I actually was able to recognize that I had not heard before.... there were horns that I really liked. Horn section that made me think of why I enjoy "The Band". Pandora did not give the date or venue though... any idea? I want to give it more listens :)

• Forum MVP

Well we can narrow it down a bit to hopefully get you closer.

Versions that come to mind with "horns", plural, will most likely have a guest playing one horn (saxophone) and Jerry's midi effects mimicking the other(s).  Certainly Bobby, Phil, and Brent or Vince could add sounds that resemble horns, too.  That would most likely be during the outward jam following Bobby screaming. 

The horn players that have sat in since Estimated came to be are Branford, Clarence Clemons, Ornette Coleman, and David Murray.  We can rule out Ornette because they did not play Estimated when he sat in at Oakland 2/93.

The problem we now have, Manda, is that Estimated was a tune that favored a horn part, so it often found the setlist when these guys showed up.  If it was someone's midi adding the other horn sound, it would most likely be 1990 or later, which could rule out Clarence.  

We really need you to offer more clues so we can narrow it down more and send you to the Archive to enjoy it.  Or you can have some fun with simply listening to them all!  

I will say that the playing style of the guest may help us most here, as they are distinct.  Clarence was closest to a pop sound, with Branford being smooth jazz and Murray's jazz being more aggressive and an angular approach, if you will.  On a personal note I will add that I was in attendance for 9-22-93 at MSG, which was Murray's first time sitting in, and that show was very special and I highly recommend partying to it if you haven't already.

Soooooo, Manda - any more clues bout what you heard?

On 5/13/2017 at 0:02 AM, DesertDead said:

Well we can narrow it down a bit to hopefully get you closer.

Versions that come to mind with "horns", plural, will most likely have a guest playing one horn (saxophone) and Jerry's midi effects mimicking the other(s).  Certainly Bobby, Phil, and Brent or Vince could add sounds that resemble horns, too.  That would most likely be during the outward jam following Bobby screaming. 

The horn players that have sat in since Estimated came to be are Branford, Clarence Clemons, Ornette Coleman, and David Murray.  We can rule out Ornette because they did not play Estimated when he sat in at Oakland 2/93.

The problem we now have, Manda, is that Estimated was a tune that favored a horn part, so it often found the setlist when these guys showed up.  If it was someone's midi adding the other horn sound, it would most likely be 1990 or later, which could rule out Clarence.  

We really need you to offer more clues so we can narrow it down more and send you to the Archive to enjoy it.  Or you can have some fun with simply listening to them all!  

I will say that the playing style of the guest may help us most here, as they are distinct.  Clarence was closest to a pop sound, with Branford being smooth jazz and Murray's jazz being more aggressive and an angular approach, if you will.  On a personal note I will add that I was in attendance for 9-22-93 at MSG, which was Murray's first time sitting in, and that show was very special and I highly recommend partying to it if you haven't already.

Soooooo, Manda - any more clues bout what you heard?

My bet is on midi 

I guess I was a bit vague... sorry! 

Desert- from your descriptions of each sit in I would go with maybe Murray, it was a bit aggressive if you will... not poppy.

PG- sounds different than that! Im lacking in the knowledge of how to describe all the sounds so thanks for sending a link I could compare to.

I will do some exploring with murray sit in versions and see where that takes me... also looking forwarf to 9-22-93, maybe thats the golden ticket!

Thanks for your efforts everyone 😘😉

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

If you heard it on sirius it may have been the studio recording on Terrapin.

I nearly included that, but inferred that it was a live show that she heard when I read her OP again. 

And I'm not a Pandora person, but after I thought about it I figured they must play live Dead, for anyone who would be interested in the Boys by definition want shows.  I dunno bout Pandora.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, John A said:

Agreed, Tea. Spotify had the new new Barton Hall release up the day my box set arrived in the mail.  It rocks!

Yeah, I was stoked to see it in AppleMusic, too.  Surprised me that it was so soon.

Archived