Caverns #2 5/21/22

Message added by Rude,

Set Type
JGB Style
Set List
Set One: How Sweet It Is ; Catfish John ; That's What Love Will Do For You ; I'll Take A Melody; I Second That Emotion ; Mystery Train ; Tough Mama ; Box Of Rain 

Set Two: Cats Under The Stars ; The Way You Do The Things You Do ; Hard To Handle ; Mission In The Rain ; Midnight Moonlight ; The Harder They Come ; I Want To Tell You > Don't Let Go > Tangled Up In Blue 

Encore: My Sisters And Brothers 
Show Notes
Band was Jeff Mattson, Rob Barraco, Skip Vangelas, Dino English. 

Watching the webcast…

Rob B made an announcement at the start, but there was no volume on the stream. 
assume it was to let us know Rob E (and Lisa?) are down with the Covid. 
all jgb so far

one drummer - Dino

how sweet

catfish John 

That’s what love will make you do

I’ll take a Melody

Second that emotion

Mystery train

Edited by tombellanca
Additional info
  • Forum MVP

I wiped out hard in the gravel on the way in. 🤣😆 boys were inside already. Turned an ankle on a big rock I think. Spent the whole show physically feeling like I’d just had my ass kicked. Made way worse by sobriety this morning. 🤣 I’m sure it was a spectacle if anyone was outside. I was told I flew.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (neutral) 1
  • Forum MVP

Wonderful time at the Caverns the last couple days but there was trouble at dawn this morning.

I apologize to everyone  for the noise this morning from my car horn going on at dawn while everyone was sleeping in their tents. I had trouble turning it off. Normally when that happens you can push the little red button on the key fob and the horn should turn off.  But the horn would not turn off !   I found that the only way the horn would stop was when I started up the car. But if the car was turned back off after a minute or two the horn started beeping again, just starting all on its own. 

I remembered the second set of keys was clipped on the frame of the cot. That key fob was wet from the rain. But knowing that and drying the fob did not prevent the horn from starting again. So I decided I needed to get this car out of the campgrounds before everyone got woken up and kept up  by my crazy car honking.

I drove down the road a while and stopped at a Waffle House.  I had both sets of keys and not in anyway that they could get pushed.  Just as opening the door of Waffle House the horn set off again. Neither of the key fobs could turn it off. So I started the car again and the horn stopped. I then drove all the way home without stopping the car. Now sadly here at home the car has been quite since being turned off for a while.

Peace and Love
Doc

• Sad (neutral) 2
  • Forum MVP

Bill wrote it down. I thought it was a fools errand as it was obviously a jgb show from prob 76-78. It was just dead on that era until the 1st set encore of Box. Some dude in the bathroom was like I want a terrapin.  I said bro you have a 0 percent shot of that. This is a Jerry band stow. That was right before Box so the chances became higher than 0%. 1 guitar terrapin would be different for sure. Besides hard to handle and box everything played was played b/t 76-78 live. They gave barraco and skip a chance to sing. Can’t wait until Dino busts out vocals on a The Band song and has Levon dead on!! Levon was actually on a top 10 boy name list. The issue was everyone was like oh Elton John. I’m like no. Levon helm!!!! So that name got nixed

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Sounds like those shows were reminiscent of a few years back when Eaton had to tend to personal business. We got about six Jerry band shows. That was some pretty good lemonade.  

6 hours ago, Dead duck said:

I wiped out hard in the gravel on the way in. 🤣😆 boys were inside already. Turned an ankle on a big rock I think. Spent the whole show physically feeling like I’d just had my ass kicked. Made way worse by sobriety this morning. 🤣 I’m sure it was a spectacle if anyone was outside. I was told I flew.  

I took a rookie to a Phil and friends show late nineties. One nitrous hit too many and this chick is bent over at the waist and running full speed, down a slight slope, into the door of a small sedan,  Head first. That drew a crowd, put a damper on the evening. She was covered in scrapes. So, I can relate and feel for ya. Bummer. 

• Forum MVP

in addition to the above, There was a

Dont Let Go

Tough Mama

twist of fate

box o rain

hard to handle

sisters and brothers

Help us out BillK. He had about 10hr drive today, so prob won’t get that today. What a treat this show was. Hope everyone with the Covid is ok and sorry that had to happen to get this but the remaining members DID NOT DISAPPOINT. This band has solid JGB chops and they really seem to enjoy the departure. Super great weekend in TN with some dancers that inspire the shit outta me. Decent space in front of the soundboard, tho much tighter than Fri night. Love this community, love, love it!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
Set Type
JGB Style
Set List
Set One: How Sweet It Is ; Catfish John ; That's What Love Will Do For You ; I'll Take A Melody; I Second That Emotion ; Mystery Train ; Tough Mama ; Box Of Rain 

Set Two: Cats Under The Stars ; The Way You Do The Things You Do ; Hard To Handle ; Mission In The Rain ; Midnight Moonlight ; The Harder They Come ; I Want To Tell You > Don't Let Go > Tangled Up In Blue 

Encore: My Sisters And Brothers 
Show Notes
Band was Jeff Mattson, Rob Barraco, Skip Vangelas, Dino English. 
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

You will need to add all the entries above for entire list but order will take more work. This is because there is obvious “the night is coming back in itty bitty pieces” syndrome amongst us.

The 6 or so show JGB run had some planning…this reminded more of show at Pagent in St. Lou….JK era where Eaton had last minute travel snafu that required the let’s wing it attitude…they played a fantastic JGB show that I am having equally trouble recalling.

This was just as scintillating…sort of a JGB elective with Box and Hard 2 Handle thrown in.

Was out of campground by 4:45…dry personally but wet gear from storms after the show…so I missed Doc’s escapade but fun times previous to that with all my usual suspects.

Campground in its infancy…nice plot of land with some trees and flat grass field but not manicured fully yet. Shuttle service provided to venue entrance as it was not the 5 min walk but more like almost a mile.

3 shitters provided and I guess it was adequate for relatively sparse campers. Not the jubilee crowd by any stretch. Of course cave venue looks like about 1500 capacity so not surprising.

My last memory is waiting for shuttle with Doc both having similar thoughts…completely spent form fun weekend.

Home now, patching my bones….Jubilee adventure begins in 4 days.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP
23 hours ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

Wonderful time at the Caverns the last couple days but there was trouble at dawn this morning.

I apologize to everyone  for the noise this morning from my car horn going on at dawn while everyone was sleeping in their tents. I had trouble turning it off. Normally when that happens you can push the little red button on the key fob and the horn should turn off.  But the horn would not turn off !   I found that the only way the horn would stop was when I started up the car. But if the car was turned back off after a minute or two the horn started beeping again, just starting all on its own. 

I remembered the second set of keys was clipped on the frame of the cot. That key fob was wet from the rain. But knowing that and drying the fob did not prevent the horn from starting again. So I decided I needed to get this car out of the campgrounds before everyone got woken up and kept up  by my crazy car honking.

I drove down the road a while and stopped at a Waffle House.  I had both sets of keys and not in anyway that they could get pushed.  Just as opening the door of Waffle House the horn set off again. Neither of the key fobs could turn it off. So I started the car again and the horn stopped. I then drove all the way home without stopping the car. Now sadly here at home the car has been quite since being turned off for a while.

Peace and Love
Doc

Hey Doc, after you left there was a flurry of activity in the campground with people breaking down and packing up. I think your campground alarm clock was a positive thing for all but the locals maybe. Got me home before the Canes/Rangers game!! Thanks buddy, so great to see you back in the saddle!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

.....back in the saddle!!

Yep, so much fun being around all these friends and music. I really enjoyed walking along the long stright strench of campground, finding old friends and making new ones along the way. Found my family from Greenville and sat with them a while. They even walked the "five minute" distance from camp to cave... looked more like five miles as I sat in Tea's wild ride. The next night the blue bus was a fun ride with Top Hat driving on, playing like he was Casside.  First sets both nights I found my way down front amongest the heavy dancers and high energy. The absolutly most beautiful lady in the world was just a bit behind. The band played hard and heavy and the fans really came alive for a long ovation of applause, hoot 'n hollering, and clapping when Lisa took the stage to join in singing. Saturday night with the trimmed down band the music was more serious with the Jerry Garcia Band sound. I love that music better than the jamming of the GD songs we have heard so much more often. But this old body couldn't keep up and deep into Saturday's second set I had to climb my way up the cave's hill out from the cool air of The Caverns. Two nights of music from The Best Band In The Land with my Good Friends all around...better than " Butterflies and Zebras, Moonbeams, and Fairytales..."

Peace and Love, Doc

• Like (+1) 5

Public Service Announcement for Cavern attendees: Two of our group of six tested positive for Covid this morning. Our son and daughter-in-law are negative. The wife and I have PCR tests pending although we have zero symptoms. We were all mostly dancing directly in front of Jeff, one row behind the VIP barricade. I don’t remember making out or swapping spit with any of you clowns, but it was a wild night! So??? We are all fine, just thought I’d throw this out to anyone in the vicinity who might need to know.

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, UncleJohnsHand said:

Public Service Announcement for Cavern attendees: Two of our group of six tested positive for Covid this morning. ....

.....I don’t remember making out ....

I heard from a couple other friends that they also have tested positive. The incubation time is said to be 3 to 5 days and symptoms might even take ten days to start so early testing might not show accurate results.

Concerning the other item....I wish I could remember making out with any of the beautiful ladies. 

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

At jubilee I spoke with someone associated with the band who said they personally never want to play indoors there again.  It’s nasty and wet and no ventilation. I have 0 interest of going indoors there again myself. Got sick as a dog doing Melvin and jgb there and half our friends caught covid and had to miss jubilee. Nice to know you caverns. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

At jubilee I spoke with someone associated with the band who said they personally never want to play indoors there again.  It’s nasty and wet and no ventilation. I have 0 interest of going indoors there again myself. Got sick as a dog doing Melvin and jgb there and half our friends caught covid and had to miss jubilee. Nice to know you caverns. 

I thought the Caverns were ok despite having to incorporate more sliding into my dance vibe and despite the layer of mud that mysteriously covered my legs each nite.  I had a blast at these shows but would happily swap for Salvage Station or Black Mountain.