Forum Crickets

Tea

• Forum MVP

I guess people are busier than ever and/or have so many platforms to discuss things they're passionate about.  In the past, the rhythm of this forum could be encapsulated by:  "New ones coming as the old ones go"  A more apt description now might be:  "That's the way it's been in town, ever since they tore the juke box down"  It is a ghost-town around these parts now....Sandboxes and playgrounds change, I guess.

Life for me has never been more hectic between work, kids, (who are both now taller than their mom + dad), and caring for parents who used to care for me.  I just don't have the time to geek out on DSO like I used to.  Since 2008/2009, travelling to see shows has dwindled to a trickle and that makes me a bit sad - but life marches on I guess.  Thanks to Taper Ron for keeping this place from falling in on itself.

What am I saying?  I don't know - I just miss ya'll.  I hope everyones worlds are spinning in the right direction and I hope to get the chance to see some of you out in the great wide open dancing to the amazing music of DSO.  Peace.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad (neutral) 1

• Forum MVP

Thanks, Tea. That’s my basic thought every morning when I check in to the forums while the coffee is brewing. I try to exercise restraint and not post every thought I have to everyone else’s posts but thoroughly enjoy talking about all things Grateful Dead. Not an easy task for someone who is a known interrupter. Ask my kids.  Forums are a Great help with getting to the show and back safely logistics. Details about a venue or city can be the ultimate in help. The Grateful Dead trivia games that get posted occasionally  are a great way to survive until the next chance to catch a show. Gotta stay in tune and the forums do that for me. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Disjointed tour schedules likely led to this as well as covid forcing us to find other avenues of escape during the dead music period. After the multiple baseball strikes it took years for the fans to come back. They had to find something else to do and realized they could survive sans baseball. During covid, we didn’t turn away from music. We turned to Hyryder every weekend as they played almost every Friday/Saturday outdoors at the mousetrap for a while. We had mask up outside with the mask police on our ass if we took too long of a sip of beer but that was what it took to see shows. Unfortunately DSO was too big to make 200 people shows work and guys like Hyryder feasted. Meili thinks we see nothing anymore b/c 13 shows this calendar year seems like boredom compared to our past life. I’m cool with the new baby reality. She’s less cool. She got a taste and wasn’t ready to give up the fantasy world we lived in. To be fair even in the 50 show year, the dead period after jazz fest and jubilee before summer tour created similar thoughts for her even after 30 shows in 5 months. Past shows didn’t fulfill during down times and more and more shows were needed. It’s a real addiction and covid and baby helped me break it. We get to do Milwaukee and St. Louis upcoming so that should be fun. Chicago unfortunately isn’t in the cards even for the special show. The Vic will be so oversold you may never even see a familiar face once the show starts. The nice thing is you can smoke in the bathrooms at the Vic. It’s an unofficial policy so don’t quote me on it but on the way to the basement bathrooms the smoke starts rolling up the stairwell. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 10/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, Rude said: Chicago unfortunately isn’t in the cards even for the special show. The Vic will be so oversold you may never even see a familiar face once the show starts. The nice thing is you can smoke in the bathrooms at the Vic. It’s an unofficial policy so don’t quote me on it but on the way to the basement bathrooms the smoke starts rolling up the stairwell. 

Hoping my first row balcony tix mitigates oversold issues.

Lisa, Jeff, Dino, Skip, Rob, Rob, Rob will be the familiar faces.

Look forward to bathroom puffs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:10 PM, chuckvegas said:

I have a few thoughts on the subject myself.

B3C93998-88E9-4ABB-A831-5233F294D926.jpeg

39B0C9F3-059F-4156-9064-31CAF9FD0C10.jpeg

I have thoughts on this also Chuck.

These boards used to be interesting now it's mostly the same five people posting every day...

It seems that maybe people think the more posts they make the bigger deadhead or DSO fan they are? Whatever it is I don't get it.

I might post a few days in a row when doing shows but

I'm not a fan of reading endless posts from the same people for years now..

I'm not negative I'm just New Jersey honest 😁

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • LMAO 1

Yes There may be crickets around here but shows are still  packed and  the music is played at such a high level of quality/perfection  and with so much heart. It’s really good for the soul.  I still see smiling faces That I know and I see new ones too, and as long as we still have all this I’m a happy man. It is sad when it gets a little quite around here between tours but you Gotta find ways to keep on keepin on. Tomorow and Monday I’ll see Phil and  then go right into dso coming coming coming  arounddd

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Hello all,

After a year of total freedom,  a new job has

kept me busy and without time off, so I have

contributed to the lack of posts, as well as 

not seeing a show since Caverns.  

Fortunately the clouds have cleared as I 

bought tickets for XL and Penn's Peak Tuesday.

Let the countdown begin.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The C19 situation really slowed me down. Going a long time without shows led me to get into recorded music from the early 70s , a whole group of stars which I call the “Tulsa Team” because almost all of them were playing rock n roll with Delaney, Bonnie, and Friends….Eric Clapton, Bobby Whitlock,  Leon Russel, J J Cale, George Harrison, Rita Coolidge, Joe Gordon, Claud Ryder, and the great bands, “Derek and the Dominoes “ (very best electric guitar album ever) and “Joe Cocker, Mad Dogs and Englishmen” ( greatest rock n roll tour ever). I will put on DVDs, YouTube, or CDs on the living room system when the family is away and dance and rock out. I do admit that this music has taken over my enjoyment.

my last DSO was the two nights at the Caverns. I was hoping to go to the DSO Nashville but I’m afraid this operation and hospital spell has squashed that possibility. If you are talking to any of the band please tell them why I can t be there. I know all of them (except Jeff) from my many years of hanging out around the band and all our friends.

I miss Dark Star Orchestra, The Best Band In the Land

Peace and Love

Doc

• Like (+1) 3